Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2016, 11:39 PM

1,850 posts, read 820,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
SOMEBODY has to pay for a tax cut or tax break which is not evenly applied to all.
No, nobody has to pay for a tax cut. All that happens is that people get to keep their own money.

Quote:
Maybe other Americans should try to have more property rights than they have now?
Good idea, that includes keeping more of their own money, i.e., tax cuts. I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 11:46 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Too bad, maybe other Americans should try to be as smart as I am then.
You're not "smart"; you're just arrogant. You and your precious money. Good luck getting through those Pearly Gates, pal.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:46 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Or you could learn how to save your own money instead of looking around at everyone else in the country and greedily wondering why you can't have their money.

How does a burger flipper paying 60% of income on rent save their own money? Just curious.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
No, nobody has to pay for a tax cut. All that happens is that people get to keep their own money.

Good idea, that includes keeping more of their own money, i.e., tax cuts. I agree.

If you give a tax cut to some taxpayers but not to other taxpayers, how are you not stealing from the taxpayers to whom you didn't give a tax cut?

What good is keeping more of your own money now if you get to keep even less of your own money in the long run? (e.g. Reagan Tax Cuts gave me a short-term boost but cost me more in the long run.)

Old 12-12-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
You're not "smart"; you're just arrogant. You and your precious money. Good luck getting through those Pearly Gates, pal.
If you're so uninterested in money, why are you constantly trying to grub it away from other people? Sounds like you won't be getting near the Pearly Gates, but enjoy the flames.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
How does a burger flipper paying 60% of income on rent save their own money? Just curious.
They live at home with their parents. If you needed me to tell you this, odds are high that you graduated from an Ivy League school and I'm not being sarcastic.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:57 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,009 times
Quote:
If you're so uninterested in money, why are you constantly trying to grub it away from other people? Sounds like you won't be getting near the Pearly Gates, but enjoy the flames.
You need to read your Bible. Nobody's trying to "grub away" your precious money.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:47 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
The scandinavian countries don't all operate the same tax bands nor rates.
Its disingenious to present a one size fits all approach.
No, it isn't. Refer to the chart I posted earlier in the thread. The only exception is that the flatter income tax bracket rates may be even higher than they are in Sweden:
Quote:
How Scandinavian Countries Pay for Their Government Spending

It does indeed match what I suggested:

Only 3 tax brackets
Lower the federal income tax rates to a top rate of only 25%
Flatten the brackets so that the middle class and above are in the same tax bracket
Implement a 25% VAT tax

And I think we can all agree to a 25% top bracket tax rate, especially when the middle class will be in that bracket, too.

Quote:
But i think you'll find that the answer is yes.
I'll take a Scandinavian tax rate for the same services and benefits.
Very few would. They want all the goodies but want someone else to pay for them. I've never seen such a greedy bunch of people in my life.

Quote:
Of course, some major problems are that those countries citizens generally agree about the entire purpose of having a country and a tax system is to work toward the betterment of all, while in the US it's more of a every-man-for-himself and ********* attitude.
As I noted, above.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:50 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
No, you just posted the average of Bill Gates and Joe Sixpack and presented it as the median American. Average is useless. Median income adjusted for working hours and benefits is of course a much more reasonable comparison.
Well, the benefits are already included in the calculation, as the OECD's definition explained.

As far as working hours, you probably really don't want to go there as higher income earners generally work 60 hours/week or more, especially here in the US.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:01 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well, the benefits are already included in the calculation, as the OECD's definition explained.

As far as working hours, you probably really don't want to go there as higher income earners generally work 60 hours/week or more, especially here in the US.
No, you just cut out the sentence that followed your quote, which pointed out that skyhigh inequality in the US makes those numbers not representative of the typical American.

Regarding working hours, half of all American workers have no vacation and overtime wage theft is rampant. To not take into account that Americans have to work many hundred hours extra to get a decent wage is very disingenuous. To further claim that all this extra work is good for the quality of life of Americans is appalling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies