Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:09 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
No idea what you are referring to.
And that's the problem. Why post when you are uninformed? It's almost like you are trying to make the republicans look good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 10:14 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Sound familiar?
Quote:
Hoover, a Republican who had formerly served as U.S. secretary of commerce, believed that government should not directly intervene in the economy, and that it did not have the responsibility to create jobs or provide economic relief for its citizens. In 1932, however, with the country mired in the depths of the Great Depression and some 13-15 million people (or more than 20 percent of the U.S. population at the time) unemployed,

The Great Depression - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com
lmao Because someone said. If you did some research and you'd find Hoover wasn't laissez faire. Why his Reconstruction Program had nothing to do with government intervening in the economy.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:34 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually it took WWII to end it.
Don't confuse the LIVs.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:44 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Well, by all means, let's hope it happens again, so we can be right. -_-

I didn't want Trump, and I didn't want a Republican Congress, but I hope with all my heart that the history you mentioned does not repeat itself. I don't want to see all of Trump's proposals carried out - far from it. But I sure as hell don't want him to fail, either, just so I can gloat about his failure while the country goes down in flames.

What was your point here? If it was warning, it's a little late, and if it's a prediction, I hope you are wrong.
I also hope that history doesn't repeat itself. I put this out there so that we can be cognizant of how to avoid policies that may have led to previous economic collapses. President Hoover, as well as GWB, was a businessman. Perhaps we have to look closer at their policies.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:00 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Was in 1928 and the great depression soon followed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression
So much for the "educated liberal" myth.

Do you think if you repeat lies often enough they become truth?

Old 12-11-2016, 11:11 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Actually it was 2006 dufus. When the Dems won the House & Senate, they took us into a depression.

Most notably, Dems chaired the two committees responsible for the oversight of the two GSEs at the heart of the most recent recession, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac. Also of note, Bush implored them for additional ovesight of those two entities, on numerous occasions. When Dodd and Frank finally agreed, it was too late. Dems aren't interested in facts, only soundbites, and copy and paste memes.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:21 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
I know that it took a Democratic president (FDR) to end the depression that developed under the watch of the GOP.
For your edification:

FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists calculate | UCLA

Quote:
After scrutinizing Roosevelt's record for four years, Harold L. Cole and Lee E. Ohanian conclude in a new study that New Deal policies signed into law 71 years ago thwarted economic recovery for seven long years.
https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.o...3/7/powell.pdf

Quote:
The New Deal failed to get America out of the Great Depression. If anything, it
made matters worse. Throughout the New Deal era, the median annual unemployment
rate was 17.2 percent. At no point during the 1930s did unemployment go below 14 percent. Although there was episodic recovery, the 1937 peak for per capita output was lower than the previous peak in 1929. And the 1937 peak was followed by a crash. As Milton Friedman and Anna J. Schwartz have observed, that was
“the only occasion in our record when one deep depression followed immediately on the heels of another.”
Harold L. Cole and Lee E. Ohanian: How Government Prolonged the Depression - WSJ

Quote:
So what stopped a blockbuster recovery from ever starting? The New Deal. Some New Deal policies certainly benefited the economy by establishing a basic social safety net through Social Security and unemployment benefits, and by stabilizing the financial system through deposit insurance and the Securities Exchange Commission. But others violated the most basic economic principles by suppressing competition, and setting prices and wages in many sectors well above their normal levels. All told, these antimarket policies choked off powerful recovery forces that would have plausibly returned the economy back to trend by the mid-1930s.
People should be required to study actual history before they post about it, it would make life much simpler. I finished school in the 80s, and even then we were taught that the New Deal was a terrible economic package.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:37 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
The question we should be asking is, "what policies of Hoover and his GOP congress caused the great depression?"

Old 12-11-2016, 11:41 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
I also hope that history doesn't repeat itself. I put this out there so that we can be cognizant of how to avoid policies that may have led to previous economic collapses. President Hoover, as well as GWB, was a businessman. Perhaps we have to look closer at their policies.
We are cognizant. We got rid of the Dems.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I know that it took a Democratic president (FDR) to end the depression that developed under the watch of the GOP.
certainly you do know a recession or depression takes years to materialize. No one party is ever totally responsible for them. If you want to start pointing fingers: who was president during WW1 and 2. Who was president when we got involved in Korean war or Nam for that matter? There are so many things that need to be considered when discussing hare times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies