Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 02:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don't buy Chinese made junk anyway.
Other people's purchasing power is not my concern.
I doubt it. What kind of computer and cell phone do you use? The vast majority of them are made in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 02:19 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
That is similar to saying spending more than you bring in is meaningless.

Just like debt, trade deficits matter.
You need to look at GDP generated by imports.

If $50 Billion in imports generates $250 Billion in GDP, then you're $200 Billion ahead of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
How is not having a job, money or tax base and being further in debt due to trade deficits and building up an enemy superpower meaningless?
China is not your enemy; they're your trading partner.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:22 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You need to look at GDP generated by imports.

If $50 Billion in imports generates $250 Billion in GDP, then you're $200 Billion ahead of the game.

China is not your enemy; they're your trading partner.
Bingo...

Old 12-12-2016, 02:24 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I doubt it. What kind of computer and cell phone do you use? The vast majority of them are made in China.
I don't have a cell phone.

And I built my computer with non-Chinese made hardware.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:30 PM

China bans or partially bans Google, Facebook, Twitter... Although I think those IT bubbles are way overvalued, they do generate huge revenues. The motivation is not merely political, but also economic. For example, Baidu has become the second largest search engine in the world due to China's protectionist policy. China also sets a cap for Hollywood, importing 30 movies per year.

America should focus on opening China market for service industry and cultural artifacts.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don't have a cell phone.

And I built my computer with non-Chinese made hardware.
What hardware? Even power cords are mostly made in China, not to mention monitors.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I got a great set of restaurant grade Oneida flatware at Walmart for 25 bucks...made in China.
A few years ago USA made Oneida flatware was still available at Walmart for the same price.

After it's all said and done, the cost saving for outsourcing to china is often under 10%. Only a fool would assume that small cost savings is passed on to the retail consumer, or would believe that the domestically produce item would necessarily pass all the cost on. The price is already set as close to market maximum.

But what always gets passed on is the social safety net costs and lost tax revenue from the outsourcing.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:56 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Meanwhile Germany has 20% of their private sector in unions and manages to kick America's ass in productivity & compensation. Keep buying the line that American workers suddenly turn into lazy slobs once they unionize. Look how well it's done for their wages.
German unions are different than US ones. There is not the adversarial relationship that we have here. Management and labor tend to work together to achieve longer term success for the company. Here, short term shareholder profit is the only consideration and labor is exploited to the maximum extent possible to increase it.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A. We are one of the worlds biggest consumer markets. They need us more than we need them.
Think Boeing might disagree.

We buy toasters. China buys big stuff.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
A few years ago USA made Oneida flatware was still available at Walmart for the same price.

After it's all said and done, the cost saving for outsourcing to china is often under 10%. Only a fool would assume that small cost savings is passed on to the retail consumer, or would believe that the domestically produce item would necessarily pass all the cost on. The price is already set as close to market maximum.

But what always gets passed on is the social safety net costs and lost tax revenue from the outsourcing.
China is also building plants in America and hiring American workers. For example, a Chinese company is making subway train cars in Springfield, MA. Such companies are widely distributed from Michigan to Alabama.

If there is a trade war, those workers will lose their jobs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies