Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 09:15 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Big picture, I agree. But for the system to work, you need to mandate that everyone has *some* level of insurance so that the rest of us don't pay for their emergency care.

I have an "ACA 1.0" plan with a 10k/year deductible. More importantly, I pay BCBS's negotiated prices for
care and generic prescriptions.
I either pay for their care in the ER or I pay for their subsidized insurance.

We need county hospitals for the indigent that are run in a dormitory mass production fashion with healthcare professionals in training. Ask any doctor how hard it was to get into a hospital intern program. This will add more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 09:17 AM

1,850 posts, read 819,608 times
Liberals should all be mandated to spend three months a year working in hospitals for free, since they believe strongly in healthcare for the indigent and illegal. That would immediately add millions of liberal laborers to our healthcare system and they would also be happy to do it, so I am told.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:19 AM

809 posts, read 746,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
You pay and get treated, or you don't and don't get treated.
This is the type of system that advanced countries try to avoid.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I am watching some friend's elderly parents spend their entire net worth in nursing and assisted living businesses. They are going to leave their children with no or very little inheritance. That will have severe economic consequences as the mass of the "Boomers" are forced to sell their real estate and investments. This forced sell off is not going to do these markets any good.

I think we will have a government sponsored, without any insurance company participation, health care system similar to much of the rest of the first world, when these sacred economic cows discover the prices for their commodities are heading for collapse. This will also be aggravated by the Student Loan system diverting money from the young adults unable to pay for a mortgage due to their existing debt.

I expect many of the folks on this forum are going to be might surprised when they realize mommy and daddy are going to live in a very expensive 'fee for service" system set up to prevent anyone from keeping their life savings and property.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:22 AM

1,850 posts, read 819,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
This is the type of system that advanced countries try to avoid.
Right, because all advanced countries have liberals, who magically vote things into existence while demanding their decisions not directly affect them (i.e., they say that people in the healthcare field should work harder, while they work at Kinko's or as accountants).

Old 12-12-2016, 09:23 AM

809 posts, read 746,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I either pay for their care in the ER or I pay for their subsidized insurance.

Far less expensive (and way more compassionate) for us to subsidize ongoing care.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:23 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
So basically we should just let thr poor die in the streets? Even Trump has said he's opposed to allowing that.
Trump has said a lot of things.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:25 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Simple, allow people to get catastrophic coverage and make doctors and hospitals post prices that we pay out of pocket.

I just found out my family of four insurance is going to $1600 per month after an employer contribution of $500 a month.

I'd be much better off with catastrophic insurance and paying for everything else.
Great, but hospitals negotiate different deals with different insurance companies. It would look like a set of encyclopedias to list every procedure and its rate for every insurance company. Then there are even differences based on the plans in each insurance company.
Have you looked at a hospital bill? After an hour in the ER and 24 hours for observation it was a 20 page list of charges and I'm sure that is a fraction of the services that are provided by that hospital.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:26 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Liberals should all be mandated to spend three months a year working in hospitals for free, since they believe strongly in healthcare for the indigent and illegal. That would immediately add millions of liberal laborers to our healthcare system and they would also be happy to do it, so I am told.
It's not an issue of liberals v rightwingers any more. It's coming down to rich v poor.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:26 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,389,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Trump has said a lot of things.
Yes, now he and Paul Ryan and all the GOPers in Washington have realized that fixing healthcare is a lot harder than "repealing Obamacare", even though they supposedly have all these big huge plans they've already thought out (but just haven't revealed to us folks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies