Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 10:00 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
That's always the final argument of a liberal, but it's utterly meaningless. Like, if I need help, then I can go to the nearest person and shake them down for money, if I agree with you? And say "don't worry, you can do this to someone else tomorrow if you need it"? That's liberalism.
No, you could go to a food pantry or get gov't assistance for food and housing till you get back on your feet. Millions of honest hard working people have done this and contrary to your charges have gotten back on their feet. With your attitude, I guess you're either on a trust fund or in a really secure financial position for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I sure as hell hope they repeal it. People who support Obamacare are people who are subsidized by people paying full price without a subsidy. I can't afford healthcare insurance now since I have to pay full price without subsidies. It will be the first time in my life I will have to go without healthcare insurance.
I sincerely hope you can get some form of insurance because the slightest thing goes wrong and you have to pay out of pocket and that could be minor to major to catastrophic. There are some states that offer catastrophic insurance. I hope, if you are older, you are close to getting Medicare (age 65). But as we know, Medicare is now on the chopping block.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Right. Because the hospital is charging your insurance that amount in order to pay for people who are uninsured. Money doesn't grow on trees and the hospitals are following the stated liberal principle of redistribution.
If it weren't for the gouging insurance companies we wouldn't be paying $5 for one tylenol in a tiny paper cup. Look what's happened to costs in the past 20 to 40 years. The last generation before mine (I am 68) NEVER paid ridiculous prices for hospital or medical procedures or medicine. Middle class families, the bulk of the US population at least till the Regan era, had BCBS type insurance that was totally affordable and if you suffered a catastrophic illness you were not left out on the streets.

What do you suppose has happened since then? The rise of big-profit corporate health providers, Big Pharma, gouging insurance, and we haven't even gotten into the NEXT generation yet. Corporate profit prevails and I guess you support that and would rather rant against the poor.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
There is no replacement plan to the ACA,people seem to be quite content to go back to the way things were with 30-40 million people uncovered by healthcare, the attitude of why should my taxes pay for your healthcare prevails. Shouldnt come as a surprise as the GOP have been promising the repeal of the ACA as their first order of business if elected,well they got elected, next comes medicare/medicaid and a plethora of other social programs.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:21 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
If it weren't for the gouging insurance companies we wouldn't be paying $5 for one tylenol in a tiny paper cup. Look what's happened to costs in the past 20 to 40 years. The last generation before mine (I am 68) NEVER paid ridiculous prices for hospital or medical procedures or medicine. Middle class families, the bulk of the US population at least till the Regan era, had BCBS type insurance that was totally affordable and if you suffered a catastrophic illness you were not left out on the streets.

What do you suppose has happened since then? The rise of big-profit corporate health providers, Big Pharma, gouging insurance, and we haven't even gotten into the NEXT generation yet. Corporate profit prevails and I guess you support that and would rather rant against the poor.
I don't see it as insurance gouging. That one ER visit and 24 hour stay I mentioned earlier, the total hospital bill was more than we pay for a years insurance premiums including the part the employer pays. Almost $35,000 was the total bill, we paid $100 out of pocket. If anyone is gouging it's the hospitals, but they have expenses to cover too including the requirement to treat anyone regardless of ability to pay.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:29 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I don't see it as insurance gouging. That one ER visit and 24 hour stay I mentioned earlier, the total hospital bill was more than we pay for a years insurance premiums including the part the employer pays. Almost $35,000 was the total bill, we paid $100 out of pocket. If anyone is gouging it's the hospitals, but they have expenses to cover too including the requirement to treat anyone regardless of ability to pay.
Yeah but I bet the insurance company only paid a fraction of that 35K.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:46 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The saddest part about this story--and the whole thing is truly sad--is that the woman being profiled, who was denied any kind of medical coverage because she lives in red, red, red Texas, voted for Trump. And now her ignorance will be justly rewarded.
Like you, I didn't vote for Trump. However, your post above is a lie. The article mentioned that Trump carried Texas and Arkansas, but NO text in the article specifies who ANY of the specific people mentioned in the article personally voted for. She didn't personally vote for Trump by default just because she lives in Texas. That's like saying Wendy Davis (a former candidate for the Democrats who ran for Governor of Texas) voted for Trump by default just because she lives in Texas.

You either:

1. Didn't bother to really read the article.

or

2. Don't care if your post is truthful.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:48 AM

1,180 posts, read 777,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
That is how Obamacare is paid for.
That is why Obamacare is going away.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:52 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am watching some friend's elderly parents spend their entire net worth in nursing and assisted living businesses. They are going to leave their children with no or very little inheritance. That will have severe economic consequences as the mass of the "Boomers" are forced to sell their real estate and investments. This forced sell off is not going to do these markets any good.

I think we will have a government sponsored, without any insurance company participation, health care system similar to much of the rest of the first world, when these sacred economic cows discover the prices for their commodities are heading for collapse. This will also be aggravated by the Student Loan system diverting money from the young adults unable to pay for a mortgage due to their existing debt.

I expect many of the folks on this forum are going to be might surprised when they realize mommy and daddy are going to live in a very expensive 'fee for service" system set up to prevent anyone from keeping their life savings and property.
Greg, how do you pay pr provide for the Hundred of thousands that pour across our Borders yearly?

Until we get our Immigration under control can we take care of Americans.

Let's put American first.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:53 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Yeah but I bet the insurance company only paid a fraction of that 35K.
About half based on the billing. But this is only one medical visit for one member of the family out of 4 that are covered. This doesn't include what they pay out for my sons physical therapy from surgery, or monthly prescriptions for two of us, or the regular check up and office visits all year, or chiropractic visits for my wife weekly. Honestly, They probably pay out more for my family than they make off of us. Had this been a major medical issue, instead of something relatively minor, they would have paid out far more than my premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies