Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:54 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times

Advertisements

These people need to be purged from universities. The easiest way to do this is to change the student loan system denying loans to students choosing majors with no job prospects. No students, no program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 09:00 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
AGAIN, read the article. The TA (Teaching Assistant) emailed the students, "...Professor Chavez has requested (or mandated.) Instead please use ‘undocumented immigrant’ or ‘unauthorized entry’ to describe folks’ status or how they may have arrived in the US..." Yes, you are right, they are human being too. But that is not the point. It should be a given, yes? Besides, not sure why you all are so concerned with a University class - it's not likely that you are a college student or ever were. Use whatever term tickles your pickle. I'm sure nobody is going to care.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:37 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
AGAIN, read the article. The TA (Teaching Assistant) emailed the students, "...Professor Chavez has requested (or mandated.) Instead please use ‘undocumented immigrant’ or ‘unauthorized entry’ to describe folks’ status or how they may have arrived in the US..." Yes, you are right, they are human being too. But that is not the point. It should be a given, yes? Besides, not sure why you all are so concerned with a University class - it's not likely that you are a college student or ever were. Use whatever term tickles your pickle. I'm sure nobody is going to care.
Isn't that just a PC term to sugarcoat the issue that they're in the country illegally? I mean all these PC terms seem rather demeaning rather than trying to bring dignity.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:40 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
How bout we say "trespasser " , "invader", "squatter" or plain old "parasite"? Works for me.......

Old 12-13-2016, 05:03 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Isn't that just a PC term to sugarcoat the issue that they're in the country illegally? I mean all these PC terms seem rather demeaning rather than trying to bring dignity.
s

It's obvious from the professor's Hispanic surname that she is an illegal alien advocate by insisting that the students use the PC terms of undocumented, etc. It's typical.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:15 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
I would use whatever term I pleased.

Screw her.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:21 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
s

It's obvious from the professor's Hispanic surname that she is an illegal alien advocate by insisting that the students use the PC terms of undocumented, etc. It's typical.
The personal opinion of the professor is irrelevant. They should follow the school curriculum. But in this case, she may have followed school policies. Some schools instruct teachers on talking about same sex marriage, illegal immigration and racism.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:25 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
The correct term usage used to be illegal alien, then the watering down started with the use of the term illegal immigrant, now it's undocumented immigrants. Words have a purpose, when you water them down and sanitize them people do this with an agenda, George Carlin has a whole bit about the "softening" of language and how people do it.

We're losing are crap as a nation.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:31 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
I didn't even think about that but you're right. The right term is illegal alien. They're not technically immigrants in the legal sense of the word, are they?

Old 12-13-2016, 06:06 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I didn't even think about that but you're right. The right term is illegal alien. They're not technically immigrants in the legal sense of the word, are they?
Right, there is no such thing as an 'undocumented immigrant' or even 'illegal immigrant' there are really only illegal aliens, legal aliens or (legal) residents or immigrant. You could say 'illegal migrants' but illegal alien is just fine. Kind of like bank robbers are not undocumented withdrawers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies