Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:41 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
What are the consequences of calling everything "fake news"?

To answer the original question, whether by accident or by design, it delegitimizes the real problem.

This thread is full of "examples" of fake news that are not at all fake news, but rather opinions that someone doesn't agree with so they call it fake news.

The true problem with fake news is the actual creation of 100% fake "news" stories by entirely illegitimate sources that then gain viral status within filter bubbles on Facebook and other social media networks.

Example: The FBI agent investigating Clinton's email server found dead, written and shared by the Denver Guardian. This is a story that was shared on Facebook hundreds of thousands of times, and it is 100% fake. It's not spin, it's not an opinion, it's not shoddy reporting... there wasn't a single solitary correct fact in the entire story. Yet it was taken as fact by hundreds of thousands of people (many right here in this forum).

Conversely, the MSM talking heads opining that Trump had no path to 270 is not fake news. That's an opinion and an incorrect prediction, but it's no more fake than a panel of retired football players picking games on a Sunday morning talk show. Does it influence things? Possibly. But no more than the opinions of other pundits on the radio or internet. It could easily be interpreted to have made Clinton voters complacent, and lit a fire under Trump voters. But regardless of your assessment of that, it's not fake news.

Fake news is a real problem. Even now there are hundreds of thousands of people that think Clinton killed that FBI agent and is running a pedophilia ring, and that the Pope endorsed Trump. And these stories were shared hundreds of thousands of times as real news in the days leading up to the election. Both Facebook and the originators of such junk made a killing off ads, and Facebook's algorithms made sure similar sensationalist fabrications bubbled up to people's timelines, perpetuating the problem.
It a huge, huge, pivot for the whole world, but particularly for America where we've come to depend on credible journalism. It is an unintended consequence of releasing technologies without truly understanding their potential for destruction. Anyone in the world can create fake news, and there are plenty of people that do not wish to discern the difference. I'd go further and suggest that some of this fake news is actual sabotage, a cyber-warfare tactic by enemies of the USA. If they can successfully undermine the validity of journalism they can bring down the whole system. It's not much of an exaggeration to quote Orwell at a time like this; his prophecy was that one day we would all come to realize that "war is peace, freedom is slavery, and ignorance is strength".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 11:01 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I'd go further and suggest that some of this fake news is actual sabotage, a cyber-warfare tactic by enemies of the USA. If they can successfully undermine the validity of journalism they can bring down the whole system. It's not much of an exaggeration to quote Orwell at a time like this; his prophecy was that one day we would all come to realize that "war is peace, freedom is slavery, and ignorance is strength".

So the Russians are now undermining the validity of journalism as well as the validity of the election?
I'd go so far as to suggest that many of the people throwing everything they can and hoping something sticks are well aware that the goal is to undermine the results of a lawful presidential election, thus making them the real enemies of the United States.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:02 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I have a fantasy. Imagine that, except in the case of an emergency of a grand scale, like a war, or 9-11, news was limited to 30 minutes, or less, a day. Kind of like it was in the early days of TV.

I have a feeling that what we would hear would be everyone's best effort at giving the most important news of the day without filler, fluff and speculation.

Instead, what we have is a need to fill 24/7 with blah blah blah. If there is only 15-30 minutes a day of actual news, what does that say about the other 23.5 hours?

Old 12-13-2016, 04:14 PM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
If calling something you don't want investigated fake can work for the MSM and the feds, then anybody can do the same. Now we just have to shut down the CIA and NASA for pushing fake news about Russia and global warming.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:08 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Of course there is fake news. A couple of examples from the traditional media include the stories on the Ferguson "Hands up, don't shoot" meme and the 'Donald Trump has no path to 270' meme.
Using the Trump can't win is a confirmation bias. The issue is people either didn't want to poll or polled falsely. That said, Clinton still won the popular vote by a decent margin so it was the states that were off, not the national poll.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:12 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have a fantasy. Imagine that, except in the case of an emergency of a grand scale, like a war, or 9-11, news was limited to 30 minutes, or less, a day. Kind of like it was in the early days of TV.

I have a feeling that what we would hear would be everyone's best effort at giving the most important news of the day without filler, fluff and speculation.

Instead, what we have is a need to fill 24/7 with blah blah blah. If there is only 15-30 minutes a day of actual news, what does that say about the other 23.5 hours?
Even without the talking heads, you cannot fit news into 30 minutes whether local or national. You just can't without leaving something out. This is a naïve fantasy you have. What I can agree on is how we spend too much time on news. I say an hour on national and two on local due to traffic, weather and sports are more than enough.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:25 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Even without the talking heads, you cannot fit news into 30 minutes whether local or national. You just can't without leaving something out. This is a naïve fantasy you have. What I can agree on is how we spend too much time on news. I say an hour on national and two on local due to traffic, weather and sports are more than enough.
Ok, I'll give you that. I don't care about the weather or sports, but I get that some folks do.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:26 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Here is the truth. There is so much distrust for those different from one another that this is not surprising.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:26 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is the truth. There is so much distrust for those different from one another that this is not surprising.
Unfortunately, you are correct. We seem to be more divided than ever, and no, I don't think it's all Obama's fault.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:53 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Unfortunately, you are correct. We seem to be more divided than ever, and no, I don't think it's all Obama's fault.
Truth is, we have always been like this. Divisions have run deep for over 100 years. We fought a war because of those divisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies