Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 01:10 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

I don't know any Millennials like this, but maybe I'm just a poor Appalachian who doesn't know any better.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:13 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Mattks I'm a millennial and first, what is "cop an attitude?" I don't even understand the first sentence in the very long OP.
to cop an attitude means to put on this attitude and wear it in a very rude way. There is no discussion with one who cops an attitude.

Quote:
I see a lot of bashing on millenials on the politics forum and I always have to scratch my head. Where were our parents and why didn't they do a better job raising us? Maybe millennials act like babies because we were never distilled discipline. Many millennials act like spoiled brats because that is how they were raised, and now they are older and they don't know how to run their own lives.
this couldn't be more truer. Some parents were so concerned more so with material things...then staying home and raising their children.

Quote:
I'm not very close with my parents and to be honest, if it wasn't for my friends and their parents, I would be terrified of how I could have turned out. I see many millennials I grew up with still living with their parents, no jobs, still getting allowances into their 20's. Parents paying their bills, buying them cars. It's ridiculous. These millennials are forged by their parents, some of us are lucky and have better parents or better environments so we can actually learn to live life.
yes, indeed, some of you are fine upstanding citizens...no argument there...

Quote:
There are a handful of generalizations in the OP that are not true. I didn't understand the connection between millennials and terrorism? It's like you are blaming us for terrorism, which started before our time and even then, it's not like many of us are in politics or military, the ones who are, well are fresh, because they are young.
there was no connection meant about millennials and terrorism...I'll go back and look

Our culture is significantly different then previous cultures because our parents didn't pass down their traditions. If we don't know the culture you expect from us, we can't live it.

Quote:
The funny thing is, I see the reverse as well. The older generations are just a bunch of whiners complaining about their kids and grandkids.
whiners by experience...maybe?

Quote:
I don't think it's nearly as bad as what the OP says, most millennials are fine and so are their parents and grandparents.
it isn't nearly as bad as the picture I'm drawing, your making it bad by your perception of my post....it seems like I'm bashing all of you when I'm not, you ignored the good I wrote and took all the bad things I said, and called it generalizing or lies...I've had some very good experiences, but that isn't what this thread is about....

Old 12-13-2016, 01:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I'll tell you one thing.

No one over 35 ever shows up in my ER with a cold and no concept of just taking a dayquil or some Afrin.

How incompetent and ignorant can you be with those cell phones in your face all day?
That's the thing. I don't mind people not knowing how things work and asking for help as much as the fact that they don't bother to use their historically unprecedented access to all the information that ever existed to solve simple problems.

It's baffling.

As a teenager, I knew just to swig some Vicks 44D and head to school. Now I have whiny 25 year olds who think they are dying and never bother to just take a Sudafed.

Rampant. Several times a day.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:21 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
"Underatanding Millenials"... fake news. You're not talking about " understanding" milenials,
You're straight out bashing them. There is not one iota in your rant of understanding anything about them.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:25 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm a boomer, of which I've said several times now....

once again, I'm discussing what I've seen...issues that could be corrected...

So is it your parenting skills that are being insulted?

Those videos are disgusting....and a real reason to ask ourselves, "What is going on out there?"

what? Hillary was not killed....she lost...big huge difference my friend.

You are taking this so personal, it's sad....

I opened this thread as a discussion, but can view now, that your right and I'm wrong, period, end of discussion.
No, I'm not insulted. I'm annoyed that people think they can generalize an entire group of people based on when they were born. No, Hillary wasn't killed but people were invested in her - right or wrong. Have you never felt strongly about anything that left you feeling defeated? Again COMPASSION. I'm not taking it personally. Its a DISCUSSION. Whenever anyone has said anything to you, you revert to "personal attack" mode and that's not what it is.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'll tell you one thing.

No one over 35 ever shows up in my ER with a cold and no concept of just taking a dayquil or some Afrin.

How incompetent and ignorant can you be with those cell phones in your face all day?
That's the thing. I don't mind people not knowing how things work and asking for help as much as the fact that they don't bother to use their historically unprecedented access to all the information that ever existed to solve simple problems.

It's baffling.

As a teenager, I knew just to swig some Vicks 44D and head to school. Now I have whiny 25 year olds who think they are dying and never bother to just take a Sudafed.

Rampant. Several times a day.
And my grandmother, born in 1929, is a hypochondriac. See, we can find any example we want to fit our perspective so maybe that proves its an individual issue and not a generational one.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:27 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And my grandmother, born in 1929, is a hypochondriac. See, we can find any example we want to fit our perspective so maybe that proves its an individual issue and not a generational one.
These sweeping generalizations don't do anyone any good, and just stir up hostile feelings.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:29 PM

Great example of entitlement issues.

I was driving home from work and a truck was trying to make a turn out of a side street. I stopped to let him go. Some idiot behind starts blaring on his horn and cursing at me because I was stopped.

He rips around me, in the wrong lane and guess what? He was OLD. That's not the first time I've dealt with elderly entitled people. But does that mean most of them are like that? No. It means there are jerks of every age.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:30 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Oh brother, you want me to provide links, and then if I'd provide them, which in this case I can't, you'd retort, "oh well see, it's not a reputable source!" I got tired of playing that game a long time ago....

About my grand daughter, my son and his wife are doing their best...I'm very proud of them...however, you know how effective peer pressure is. All you can do, is the best you can....and pray....

I will say this, the reason I made that comment is b/c of the kids I've seen behind the wheel...one girl in particular....I wanted so much to follow her right into her development and tell her parents how she was driving but thought better of it...so...hopefully she will live to have life experiences.

I could match you with the abysmal driving of older people as well....
so what's your point?

What I'm saying is true...and you know it, otherwise you wouldn't be so upset or insulted...and angry.

Stop accusing people of being upset or insulted or angry. I'm none of the above and it's obvious you use that as a deflection tool when people call you out on your unsupportable statements.

The issue I have is that you started a thread titled "Understanding Millennials (individuals born between 1980 - 2000) & their children" as if you held some sort of expertise or knowledge on the subject matter. Then you offer no evidence as to how one would do so except personal anecdotes, experiences and opinions. That's not how one gains true understanding nor is it indicative of the habits and issues of an entire generation. When people called you on it, then you back pedaled and said you only meant some Millennials and yet continued to offer nothing other than anecdotes to support your case.

In addition, your posts are muddled, rambling and quite often veer off topic as you insert more and more anecdotes on other topics into the conversation. If you truly want to have a conversation that is meaningful and instructive, you're doing it wrong.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:31 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:

they don't make their kids get off their duffs and get jobs.

Kids no longer work, and I understand, they can't pay for their college, but they surely can work, and learn what its like to work and save

They are used to having everything given to them and not have to work for anything.

refuses to get a meaningful job
Millennials range in age from 14 -34 years old.

Seems you are are only complaining about those in the 16-22 year old range not working? That's a small subset of millennials. Most of those older than 22 have jobs and many have careers.

Lots of teenagers through early 20s are working now. Some of them work lots of hours while also going to school. This has been true for many generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies