Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 09:45 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,241,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Finn_Jarber;46503206]You don't get it, because you "want to understand them" as if they were one person, when they are not. They are individuals. You give examples of some rudeness etc which you have experienced, as if it represented the behavior of them all, but it does not.
Well then, I apologize. I do understand, that everyone reads into the way others write, or not notice the things that others write...it wasn't meant to be portrayed that way, and again, in my very first post and several after that, I write, I DON'T mean ALL Millennials....I believe you only saw the negative, things I said, and just shut down after that and were not able to see the other words? Sometimes that happens. And because we cannot see the other person's face, sometimes its very hard to understand what the person is writing...however, again, it seems that you have ignored the words stating, in plain sight, I do not mean all Millennials, even said, I've had some great experiences with some, and explained two that just recently happened!!! I can't be any plainer than that....

Quote:
As for this board, the nastiest posters are from the older age groups.
Well, I can't comment on that, b/c I don't really care how old the person is that I'm corresponding with? So....maybe your right? And if so, for that I apologize.

Quote:
PS I am not millennial.
I didn't think you were or were not, don't even know if your a boy or girl...so.....doesn't matter....

what I tried to get across are the bad experiences I've had with Millennials, and what do you think we could do, to better the situation...takes two to tango....

I've had bad experiences with Boomers and we were able to discuss it...on some instances, face to face.....which I believe communication to be extremely important.

I've had parents of Millennials come into the thread and explain how wonderful and productive their kids are, who were not angry...or defensive...and which I appreciated....

so...being argumentative solves nothing, really, does it....

I can't be more plainer than I already have...

I think we all need to step back for a moment, take a deep breath, count to 10, and then figure out, what we can all do, to change our attitudes.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:47 AM

406 posts, read 348,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
First, Hippityhop, I know who you were responding to, but I have some people on Ignore, however, if you believe what you have written here, then nothing can be accomplished b/c you are unable to view anything positive in the post.

I do realize, your most likely not reading all the posts, which to might add to your negativity about the thread...

So sorry....

oh, and when I post, I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me 100%, that would be impossible...but if you disagree with someone, personal insults surely don't help, which the first of your responses were....

Like I said, if you feel this way, that is stagnating and sad...then why reply at all?

you are dedicating yourself to negativity, by refusing to view any one else's point of view.

Also, I have responded to those who have disagreed here in this thread, but have left very productive feedback.

Sorry....
You want to understand them? Go talk to them in real life. 1 to 1.
There. Thread over.

But that's not what this is. Instead you seem to think this is:

www.blogspot.com/getoffmylawn

AKA a blog where you can post your personal anecdotes about young people to validate your declining existence.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post
You want to understand them? Go talk to them in real life. 1 to 1.
There. Thread over.

But that's not what this is. Instead you seem to think this is:

www.blogspot.com/getoffmylawn

AKA a blog where you can post your personal anecdotes about young people to validate your declining existence.
sad, ok, hippity, thread over....

Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,367,937 times
Quote:
Like I said, if you feel this way, that is stagnating and sad...then why reply at all?
Like I said, that is not what is happening. What IS happening is that you are merely ignoring all the posts and posters who do not fit what your rant describes. The best way to pretend no one is replying well.... is to ignore all the people who reply well.... and allow yourself to be triggered by those that do not.

It is just a self confirmation bias narrative you are selling, and it seems from my reading of the thread that the single person buying into it is.... you yourself.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:07 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,067 times
I think the OP is an old man without any kids. Like practically every person on this forum who rants about young people.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:39 PM

39,160 posts, read 27,558,641 times
If I remember this correctly, op is a lady who has a police officer son.

well, I was born in 1985, I don't mind stereotype because I think certain stereotypes can be true. I don't think it is wrong for anybody to share their experiences, after all, we are who we are through these experiences.

One advantage of a stereotype is that it enables us to respond rapidly to situations because we may have had a similar experience before.

One disadvantage is that it makes us ignore differences between individuals; therefore we think things about people that might not be true (i.e. make generalizations).

The use of stereotypes is a major way in which we simplify our social world; since they reduce the amount of processing (i.e. thinking) we have to do when we meet a new person.

This type of thread only becomes a problem when some here choose to take it so personally. It never meant to be a personal attack.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:31 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,950,677 times
Quote:
I think we all need to step back for a moment, take a deep breath, count to 10, and then figure out, what we can all do, to change our attitudes.
Who's this "we", Kemo-sabe?

Old 12-15-2016, 03:52 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If I remember this correctly, op is a lady who has a police officer son.

well, I was born in 1985, I don't mind stereotype because I think certain stereotypes can be true. I don't think it is wrong for anybody to share their experiences, after all, we are who we are through these experiences.

One advantage of a stereotype is that it enables us to respond rapidly to situations because we may have had a similar experience before.

One disadvantage is that it makes us ignore differences between individuals; therefore we think things about people that might not be true (i.e. make generalizations).

The use of stereotypes is a major way in which we simplify our social world; since they reduce the amount of processing (i.e. thinking) we have to do when we meet a new person.

This type of thread only becomes a problem when some here choose to take it so personally. It never meant to be a personal attack.
IMHO, "simplify" is another term for laziness. Its lazy thinking to think an entire group of people "probably" hold the same or similar values, ethics, personalities, etc.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
IMHO, "simplify" is another term for laziness. Its lazy thinking to think an entire group of people "probably" hold the same or similar values, ethics, personalities, etc.
as I said before, but you refuse to accept truth...guess you'd much rather be argumentative....

I'm of course not referring to ALL OF THEM, if you can't believe that, then I really feel badly for you....

if you don't agree with the thread, why continually come back in throwing around personal insults:

If you don't want to discuss intellectually, why bother? Just move on, easy peasy?

It never ceases to amaze me, how people love to be nasty....b/c they don't agree with you....

I tried to understand, how this happens..I think it's due to bad parenting....b/c they are all not like this....and why take such offense, did you parent millennials?

Geeze Louise I so wish more people would be willing to discuss rather then shut down immediately taking things so personally.

Yanno what, I'm sick of trying to spark some conversation, it is obvious people would rather argue and make personal attacks so, Mods, please shut this thread down....it's going no where...

Old 12-15-2016, 04:50 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,367,937 times
Quote:
I'm of course not referring to ALL OF THEM, if you can't believe that, then I really feel badly for you....
You keep saying that, but few (if any) people are saying that that is what you are doing. So it is a wonder why you feel the need to defend yourself at all, let alone REPEATEDLY, against a charge that no one is actually making.

But when you apply characteristics to a group as a whole, as you ARE doing, the implication is that you are suggesting the characteristics apply either to a majority of them, or at the very least a highly significant minority bordering on a majority.

Yet while the group you have defined IS punctuated with such people, it does not appear A) that all that many of them fit your description or B) that this grouping of yours has a higher proportion than any other grouping you might have chosen. If for example you replaced "Milenials" with "Black" or "Whites" or "atheists" or "theists" or "OAPs" or "man" or "women" or "bald people" or "drinkers" or any other massively diverse group.... you would likely find just as many people who fit your description there too.

So rather than bemoaning a group having the negative characteristics you define.... try first establishing THAT they have them and they have them in numbers that are relatively significant compared to any other group. THIS you have not done, and THIS is why your diatribe on the subject is subject to so much ire and rebuttal.

What you HAVE shown in this thread and many others however is that you are a person who is subject to narrative bias. You see, or notice, what fits your narrative. MOST humans do this to some degree so do not feel singled out in that regard when I say this. But some do it more than others and I think you are at that extreme end of the scale.

It is a very common human selection bias. For example people who think taxi drivers are arrogant and aggressive road drivers..... they cut get "cut up" by other drivers 10 times in a week.... but if 2 of those happened to be taxis THOSE are the 2 the person will remember. The other 8 get filtered out.

And I feel you are doing this. You have identified a grouping of people, and a list of traits, and you are "triggered" only when the two coalesce. And you simply filter out the rest.

Quote:
if you don't agree with the thread, why continually come back in throwing around personal insults: If you don't want to discuss intellectually, why bother? Just move on, easy peasy?
IF you have a problem with personal insults then why do you respond to the people who do it.... thus inviting more.... and simply ignore the people (like me) who have NOT done it? Again, the same selection bias is in effect that I describe above. And proves my diagnosis that you are someone more prone to that form of human selection bias than most.

You see and respond to the posts that fit the narrative, you ignore the ones that do not.

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me, how people love to be nasty....b/c they don't agree with you....
I wonder if you think me incapable of finding numerous examples of YOU being nasty in the face of disagreement? Because you are far from innocent in this regard.

Quote:
Geeze Louise I so wish more people would be willing to discuss
Says the person selectively ignoring posts that rebut your position calmly and politely. If you want people to act in a better way, start by doing it YOURSELF and perhaps those around you will follow suit.

Quote:
I'm sick of trying to spark some conversation
Absolute. Comedy. Gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.