Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:23 AM

28,964 posts, read 30,316,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Don't know how old you are OP, but based on your post I personally judge your generation as the whiniest and most judgmental. Nah, I don't know everyone from your generation, but based on your post I feel 100% confident in my judgment of all of you. I am currently crafting a long rambling post pointing out how all your assumptions from your post are wrong and how your generation sucks the worst. I'll be sure to fill it with anecdotal evidence and opinion since that's a fool proof way of judging millions of people. Let me know when you were born so I know what generation I'll be bashing.

/sarcasm
sarcasm or not, you had to take the post personal or you wouldn't have responded as such....

Yes, I've had some really really bad experiences, with some of them....however, there have also been some extremely awesome experiences with a lot of them......

this was a test....posting my bad experiences, and to simply sit back and watch how many of you took this so very personal....so much so, that you had to write,
sarcasm....

Old 12-13-2016, 08:36 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
sarcasm or not, you had to take the post personal or you wouldn't have responded as such....

Yes, I've had some really really bad experiences, with some of them....however, there have also been some extremely awesome experiences with a lot of them......

this was a test....posting my bad experiences, and to simply sit back and watch how many of you took this so very personal....so much so, that you had to write,
sarcasm....

I'm not a Millennial so, no, I didn't take it personally. I'm just SICK of the generation bashing threads on CD. People are individuals and should be treated as such. I know some in the Greatest Generation that are anything but and yet I don't let that taint my opinion of the rest of them. I know crappy Boomers and wonderful ones. I know Millennials that are hard working and great people and those that don't fit either of those descriptions. I just don't have the hubris to think that my experiences are complete enough to judge an entire generation of people.

Frankly, your posts smack of an entitlement to have the world and everyone it act and do as you believe they should. If only you were in charge it would be filled with sunshine, unicorns and all those young whipper snappers would know their place. I'd hate to go through life thinking my way was always best. Must be a very frustrating and limiting way of life to be so narrow minded.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It's hilarious to see aging Boomers complain about the younger generation.
Hilarious....well, let me tell you how funny it is to go to someone's home, and have to wait an hour for them, b/c even though they knew you were coming and what time you were coming the daughter wasn't out of bed yet, hadn't showered, and hadn't eaten a thing. I told her mother, "That won't happen again!"

I've had some amazing experiences, with some wonderful young people....however, when my son and I discuss this he agrees...there are some really great ones, but, some really selfish ones, who don't know how to get along in the world.

laugh all you want, but, we boomers understood a lot of rules...we didn't as a whole generation go out and specifically break rules and laws, b/c we could. We feared the consequences...of our mistakes....we were able to problem solve, and didn't need someone to pay our ways...if we couldn't buy it, no one bought it for us...we learned to do without.

I strongly believe we were more mature and responsible.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:55 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is what they should be doing as young adults. Best time of your life and you are only young once. We have taken a lot of that away from them since they were kids and its not surprising if they become bitter or depressed at some point.
It's probably one of the most pressured generations ever. Beginning competitive sports at age 4; travel teams; pressure to get into the best college.

My son started competitive swimming (in the summer) at 4 and year round competitive swimming at about 9. This involved sizable travel and while it was fun and kept him out of trouble through high school - still a LOT of pressure to succeed at top levels and a LOT of time away from home.

I did what every other parent was doing.

I think today's parents can learn from our mistake.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:56 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,389,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I was born in the late 70's and I feel more like a millennial than a Gen X'er. A lot of Gen X'ers are stuck in the 80's, don't like technology, the newer music, etc... whereas I liked the late 90's and 2000's a lot better.
Gen-X doesn't like technology? For the most part, Gen-X invented the technology you carry around in your pocket every day. Have you ever read the book Microserfs by Douglas Coupland? It was written about us!

Old 12-13-2016, 09:02 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hilarious....well, let me tell you how funny it is to go to someone's home, and have to wait an hour for them, b/c even though they knew you were coming and what time you were coming the daughter wasn't out of bed yet, hadn't showered, and hadn't eaten a thing. I told her mother, "That won't happen again!"

I've had some amazing experiences, with some wonderful young people....however, when my son and I discuss this he agrees...there are some really great ones, but, some really selfish ones, who don't know how to get along in the world.

laugh all you want, but, we boomers understood a lot of rules...we didn't as a whole generation go out and specifically break rules and laws, b/c we could. We feared the consequences...of our mistakes....we were able to problem solve, and didn't need someone to pay our ways...if we couldn't buy it, no one bought it for us...we learned to do without.

I strongly believe we were more mature and responsible.
Didn't you already have a thread about your cousin's daughter? Maybe it wasn't you, but someone had the exact same experience you list above and created a thread about it. And, sure it's rude not to be ready on time. No one would think otherwise, but it was the fault of the kid you're talking about and not her entire generation.

Boomers were good at following the rules?!? That's the last thing Boomers (taken as an entire generation) were good at. The Boomers were good at looking at the rules of their parent's generation and breaking them in every way possible. Rebellion is literally the hallmark of the generation.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's probably one of the most pressured generations ever. Beginning competitive sports at age 4; travel teams; pressure to get into the best college.

My son started competitive swimming (in the summer) at 4 and year round competitive swimming at about 9. This involved sizable travel and while it was fun and kept him out of trouble through high school - still a LOT of pressure to succeed at top levels and a LOT of time away from home.

I did what every other parent was doing.

I think today's parents can learn from our mistake.
I started competitive swimming at 8 years old....which required travel....at 13 worked at a bakery on weekends, wore my bathing suit under my clothes, and went right to swimming practice after work was done, which was from 3 a.m. in the morning, to 10 a.m. Rode my bike to practice.

yes, fun, yes, competitive, but not stressed...while a lot of my friends went to college, we didn't conscentrate on competitions, we used our minds, and acquired scholarships, and yes, some did sports, but not nearly as many as today, and what is this crap, everyone wins?

Now, you say a lot of pressure? I think everything should be looked at, as an experience, and kids shouldn't have to worry about winning all the time...sports sure are different today.

Even cheer leading has become a huge money maker. And that's what it's all about.
So tell me, how is cheer going to get a kid into college?

our generation wasn't perfect....by any means, but it just seems like we had so much more maturity, responsibility and respect for rules and the law....?

We weren't as nasty, to others....yes, we had some, but as a whole, our generation seemed so much more able...we babysat....worked, my brother had a paper route...my two sisters worked....I mean, kids don't work today? Why?

And my parents were not poor, by any means....however, we all worked...we were not given every new thing...we didn't walk around with our phones in our hands, walking into others...I mean, people can't go to a movie without their cells? they should have phones surgically implanted into their heads?

I'm sorry, I just don't see it...it's way hard to understand....

Old 12-13-2016, 09:07 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,389,678 times
Quote:
Didn't you already have a thread about your cousin's daughter? Maybe it wasn't you, but someone had the exact same experience you list above and created a thread about it. And, sure it's rude not to be ready on time. No one would think otherwise, but it was the fault of the kid you're talking about and not her entire generation.

Boomers were good at following the rules?!? That's the last thing Boomers (taken as an entire generation) were good at. The Boomers were good at looking at the rules of their parent's generation and breaking them in every way possible. Rebellion is literally the hallmark of the generation.
Agreed. The ones who were really good at following rules were those born just before WWII. They had it driven home in spades that they needed to tow the line and not make waves...ever! My father is part of this generation, and he fits the profile to a T. It's funny how the generations swing back and forth so wildly. Whether you're the Marlboro Man (I'm speaking here of rugged individualism, not smoking) or The Man In the Gray Flannel Suit, somebody will always find you lacking.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-13-2016 at 09:16 AM..

Old 12-13-2016, 09:08 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,544,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There's the confusion. For me, the Boomlets (Gen Z) were born after 2001, making them too young for a driver's license and official employment.
In the college textbook I have they begin in the mid 1990's, but some authors have the early 2000's. Depends on who is writing the textbook. It is really not a biggie to me, because either way they are currently in the workplace or if you choose to believe the latter date they will soon be coming into the workforce.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:

yes, it was me, what does that matter....I'm simply putting down my experiences...

Here's another...walking out of work the other day....a woman in front of me, walks thru the door, it slams in my face, and she doesn't even realize, someone is behind her, why, she's on her phone?????

You would think, no one would think otherwise, to be late like that, but it didn't bother her????

Walked out to my car, in the parking garage, and someone had opened their car door into mine...you could see where they tried to wipe it, as that is why I noticed it...there were finger marks all around the ding. I keep my car very clean...anyway, not a note, nothing?

Now believe me, there are many many good examples I could share, but this isn't about the good....

Boomers were all about free love...rebellion is something completely different, those who followed groups like Morrison, but that wasn't the hallmark of our generation.

I wasn't even into hard rock...or concerts or drugs....couldn't stand them and know a whole lot of people who did...however, I also know a whole lot of people who loved to smoke...that didn't make them rebellious...they were not drug dealers, nor did they do drugs a lot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies