Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:38 PM

286 posts, read 380,735 times

Advertisements

In 1956, the Republican Party boasted that under Eisenhower “the Federal minimum wage has been raised for more than 2 million workers.” Today, the Texas Republican Party wants to “repeal the minimum wage.”

In 1956, the Republican Party promised to “extend the protection of the Federal minimum wage laws to as many more workers as is possible and practicable.” Today, the lead Republican in the Senate on labor issues wants to abolish the minimum wage.

In 1956, the Republican Party proudly stated that under Eisenhower “Social Security has been extended to an additional 10 million workers and the benefits raised for 6 1/2 million.” Today, the Texas Republican Party wants to abolish Social Security.

In 1956, the Republican Party platform pledged that it would work to “assure equal pay for equal work regardless of Sex.” Last year, every Republican in the Senate voted against the Paycheck Fairness Act to assure equal pay for equal work.

In 1956, the Republican Party boasted that under Eisenhower “the protection of unemployment insurance has been brought to 4 million additional workers.” Today, the Republican Party wants to end unemployment benefits for hundreds of thousands of Americans who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own.

In 1956, the Republican Party was proud that under Eisenhower, “unions have grown in strength and responsibility, and have increased their membership by 2 million.” Today, Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham said that abolishing the National Labor Relations Board, the federal agency in charge of protecting the rights of workers, would be considered “progress.”

In 1956, the Republican Party said “the protection of the right of workers to organize into unions and to bargain collectively is the firm and permanent policy of the Eisenhower Administration.” Today, Republican Governors and legislators have undermined collective bargaining rights in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio and other states.

In 1956, the Republican Party pledged to “maintain and continue the vigorous administration of the Federal prevailing minimum wage law for public supply contracts.” Today, the Republican Party wants to repeal prevailing wage laws and significantly cut the pay of millions of workers.

In 1956, the Republican Party platform stated “Republican action created the Department of Health, Education and Welfare as the first new Federal department in 40 years.” Today, the Texas Republican Party wants to abolish the U.S. Department of Education.

Where did the GOP extremist shift originate from.

and if you can answer the question without referencing libertarians, liberals, independents or any other political party. That'd be great, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 01:44 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,978,585 times
You may also add Senator Barry Goldwater. While a 'hawk', he was also firmly in support of protecting the environment.

“While I am a great believer in the free enterprise system and all that it entails, I am an even stronger believer in the right of our people to live in a clean and pollution-free environment.”

Old 12-13-2016, 01:47 PM

35,557 posts, read 20,897,588 times
the died off

Old 12-13-2016, 01:47 PM

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.” Quote by Barry M. Goldwater

Barry Goldwater was and is the man. Today he would be a libertarian. Too socially liberal for Today's Christian Extremist radicals.

Last edited by bringamac92; 12-13-2016 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Wanted the quote to stand out.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:00 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,805,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
And also

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue".

Old 12-13-2016, 02:07 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,030,653 times
Very simple. They came to the realization (albeit belatedly) that it is immoral to purchase the votes of some using money stolen from others.

Alas...this type of villainy is still the stock-in-trade of the political group which was so ignominiously routed in the November, 2016, elections.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:15 PM

5,088 posts, read 2,298,306 times
Who cares, they were losers. They did not enjoy anything close to the electoral dominance that today's Republican party enjoys.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:15 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times
Parties are fluid and change over time, that is why I never understand people who are rabidly loyal to a party.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:17 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,522,995 times
What happened to the Democrats of 50 years ago?

Old 12-13-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Parties are fluid and change over time, that is why I never understand people who are rabidly loyal to a party.
I guess my point was that there wasn't a party like today's EVER in history. The Republican party today, no matter how much people will deny it, is and would be if there was a census for it, statistically White, Protestant, and Extremely Conservative. There is no moderate in that party, no middle ground. It's far right, far red. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies