Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 08:47 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,144 times

Advertisements

I personally do not care about his religion, his ethnicity, or even his taste in music, television, or movies. I care about what he does, or fails to do as president. This is where he has fallen short, and that's all that matters to me.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:49 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
His mother was a communist (and thus atheist). It's very likely he's an atheist.
Fools don't accomplish, they are simply "accomplished".

Most people got nothing but their upbringing.

Obama was upbrung to his bring.

He's a bringing idiot.

Look at what he brought you.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 12-14-2016 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 08:51 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,634 times
Most of the early Presidents were Deists, not Christians, or at the very least certainly didn't adhere to conventional Christianity as we understand it; Monroe and (especially) Jefferson may have been atheists, though we may never know for sure since "coming out of the closet" wasn't much of a thing back then. The personal matters one didn't blather about in public were wider in scope back then and encompassed questions of religion, which in my view is one custom that merits resurrection.

Indeed, what's less well-known is that many Presidents even long after the Founders' time weren't adherents of conventional Christianity; John Quincy Adams was a Unitarian, though his belief was "dark and dubious" in old age, John Tyler was an Episcopalian but rather non-denominational in his theology, Zachary Taylor and Franklin Pierce never affiliated with a church. Abraham Lincoln's views on religion are contested by historians but all agree that they were not conventional; personally I believe he had deistic views and was not a Christian. His friends said he had no faith in the Christian sense of the word, and as his biographer and intimate friend noted: "Never in all that time did he let fall from his lips or his pen an expression which remotely implied the slightest faith in Jesus as the son of God and the Savior of men."

Andrew Johnson and Ulysses S. Grant were apparently believers but were unchurched, and Rutherford B. Hayes was a non-denominational Christian. After their generation the out-there religious affiliations taper off, but William Howard Taft, who affiliated with the Unitarian Church, saw fit to reject an offer to be President of Yale (then affiliated with the Congregationalists) because he did not believe in the divinity of Christ, though he steadfastly refuted that he was an atheist. All the Presidents since have been adherents of conventional Christianity, though there have been some that weren't what one could call religious. It's only really in the 20th century that conventional Christian affiliation became dominant and a de facto prerequisite to be elected President.

As for Obama, he was raised in a free-thinking non-religious household but as an adult he found his faith in certain forms of Christianity (which is where the infamous Rev. Jeremiah Wright comes in the picture). I'm sure he's a believer in Christianity, but I don't think he's ever been that religious. I'm sure Donald Trump is also Christian and truly believes in it, but at the same time doesn't take it very seriously; that's reasonably common among those with similar personality traits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
No doubt he is a muslim- an odd liberal one at that!
Actually there are plenty of not-so-observant Muslims with liberal political views around, so that doesn't prove much*; there's just very little to suggest that Obama's among their numbers.

*Aside from putting the skids to the "Muslim subversive" conspiracy theory; liberal and unobservant Muslims have no interest whatsoever in imposing Sharia or some such.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:51 AM

575 posts, read 298,789 times
Somebody start a thread "Does Trump Worship Money" and see how long it lasts. I would, but I think I'm on thin ice as it is.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:53 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
I personally think a lot of politicians are atheist/agnostic, but pretend to be a part of a certain religion just to drum up votes.

Atheist was at the bottom of the list of who people wouldn't vote for. Given these sorts of numbers, I bet it's standard practice of any politician running for office to proclaim themselves part of any religion

Atheists, Muslims See Most Bias as Presidential Candidates | Gallup

I personally don't care what religion they are

Old 12-14-2016, 08:55 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Trump is obviously an atheist thats out of the question. Bernie Sanders as well. Regarding Obama, very very likely an atheist. Hillary? Less likely than Obama, but I'd say 90% chance she is.
I think this assessment is pretty accurate.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:00 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,426 times
Atheist, not sure, I doubt it... criminal anti-American usurper? Absolutely.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:06 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,956,126 times
I don't understand how any of you can question someones faith. He said he is a Christian so leave it at that. He has a black christian wife and mother in law. Most older black folk are very religious and do not accept or acknowledge atheism. They will just pray for you from a distance. An atheist would not attend a southern church service and lead the church with Amazing Grace. You cannot get any blacker or christian than that. You all need to get over yourselves and worry about you and your God.

This reminds me of when white folk tried to label the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King as a communist.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:10 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times
I don't care if he's a Druid as long as he doesn't wear it on his sleeve.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:12 AM

575 posts, read 298,789 times
Quote:
This reminds me of when white folk tried to label the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King as a communist.
Some even called Five Star General, Supreme Allied Commander and POTUS Dwight Eisenhower a Commie. Some folks are just plain silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies