Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 10:20 AM

18,803 posts, read 8,461,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Here we go again....it was NOT paid back. The taxpayers are losers all around here
What not paid back? TARP or Fed bail moneys?

Fed:

http://www.levyinstitute.org/pubs/wp_698.pdf

As for TARP, the balance is still in the taxpayers favor. But there are moneys left unpaid, or moneys paid with other federal moneys.

http://www.politifact.com/new-hampsh...-federal-bail/

Last edited by Hoonose; 12-15-2016 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 10:28 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
What not paid back? TARP or Fed bail moneys?
Actually both. In reality we have no clue how much the Fed threw away at that.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:39 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
If you don't know what was being discussed figure it out, research it then ask questions.
I already have a lot of knowledge. What I know doesn't match any kind of claim that "it" (again whatever it is) has not been paid back.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:46 AM

18,803 posts, read 8,461,211 times
Quote:
Actually both. In reality we have no clue how much the Fed threw away at that.
Fed:

http://www.levyinstitute.org/pubs/wp_698.pdf

As for TARP, the balance is still in the taxpayers favor. But there are moneys left unpaid, or moneys paid with other federal moneys.

http://www.politifact.com/new-hampsh...-federal-bail/

Old 12-15-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I already have a lot of knowledge. What I know doesn't match any kind of claim that "it" (again whatever it is) has not been paid back.
I can provide links (and have probably 20 times) from all different views that will show this same thing.

Pillaging the Average American: Wall Street Paying Back Bailouts with Bailouts. Total Bailout Package Ceiling of $14 Trillion Yet Focus Only on TARP Repayments in the tens of Billions.

It was not paid back and we have no clue how much the Fed was thrown away.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:49 AM

35,662 posts, read 21,025,987 times
I talked to my sis, a real estate broker 20 yrs now--- the houses will sell come Jan 20-2017. - when the presidency has been written in stone. People will wait until then, to be sure we not breaking into civil war etc. and then buy- buy- buy- as rates are going up

Old 12-15-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I talked to my sis, a real estate broker 20 yrs now--- the houses will sell come Jan 20-2017. - when the presidency has been written in stone. People will wait until then, to be sure we not breaking into civil war etc. and then buy- buy- buy- as rates are going up
I've said this for years.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
If Hillary would have won I'm sure corrupt Yellen would have kept the funds rate stagnant again. Trump needs to fire her.
Is it possible you might be confusing the FRB Chair and spokes person with the body that actually makes decisions to change rates?

The Federal Open Markets Committee ( FOMC) decides the interest rate, not the Chaiman of the FRB.
The Chairman is 1 of 12 votes.

Yellen's term as Chair has one year remaining on her term. It's common and intentional for Chairman's terms to overlap Administrations. Greenspan managed to overlap 4 Admin's. The FOMC consists of the 7 FRB Board of Governors and 5 Rotating Presidents from the 12 regional Federal Reserve Banks.

Members to the Federal Reserve Board are appointed to 14 year terms, following nomination by a POTUS and Senate Confirmation, following hearings.

Unlike, the FRB, the President's of the regional Federal Reserve Banks are elected by their respective Boards, usually comprised of local banks terms and large corporations.

The Federal Reserve Board has been operating with only 5 members due to political obstruction. The Chair of the powerful Senate Banking Committee has refused to schedule hearings for 2 nominees to fill the vacancies. One of the two withdrew after a 14 month wait for a confirmation hearing.

Historically, the Federal Reserve Board Members of the FOMC have trended more dovish on interest rates opposed to the 5 Regional bank Presidents, elected by banksters and large corporations. The unfulfilled vacancies leveled the playing field, between the FRB board and regional presidents. Therefore it is reasonable to assume the historically more hawkish regional bank presidents were in favor of holding the line on interest rates.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The banks don't want to pay any interest to the savers who put their money in there. Most retirees keep their money in a safe place and the banks are robbing the seniors. It is so rigged.
Except banks are historically hawkish on raising rates.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Yep, housing, cars, corporate capital investment becomes more expensive. Hey, but little old ladies get to have a few more pennies in their CDs......
CD rates peaked in 1981 at about 16.69%.

My first mortgage that year was 16.5%. Was I the only home buyer that year?

Exclusive of property taxes, the monthly payment on that house would be considerable lower today than it was 35 years ago, despite years of modest appreciation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies