Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 11:17 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
To be exact 7 since the 19th Century. And most of them ended up being the worst presidents.

Though it is debatable whether Trump is simply a businessman or a celebrity. An awful lot of his businesses failed.

History shows businessmen make bad presidents | TheHill

7 Businessmen Who Became US Presidents | Bankrate.com
The electorate deliberately selected a business person for president... so, they should be satisfied with whatever decisions he makes, right? They wanted a business person, they wanted the nation to be run like a business, and they will get what they asked for... more or less... for better or worse. That the particular business person seems to have no moral fiber, no finesse, no intellectual curiosity... and really isn't all that great of a business person... well...

Old 12-15-2016, 11:35 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Liberals. Too damned dumb to not know that FLOTUS does NOT have an official office in the West Wing.

When Bubba Bill was diddling cigars in the Oval Office, Hillary, his nasty wife, DID have an office in the West Wing.

Now all at once, liberals are in a snit. Will someone please hand them a cookie and hanky?
No, the office is in the East Wing and has been since the 1940s.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:35 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
To be exact 7 since the 19th Century. And most of them ended up being the worst presidents.

Though it is debatable whether Trump is simply a businessman or a celebrity. An awful lot of his businesses failed.

History shows businessmen make bad presidents | TheHill

7 Businessmen Who Became US Presidents | Bankrate.com
I just went thru both of your links. there is more wrong than right about both.
LOL.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:42 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
The electorate deliberately selected a business person for president... so, they should be satisfied with whatever decisions he makes, right? They wanted a business person, they wanted the nation to be run like a business, and they will get what they asked for... more or less... for better or worse. That the particular business person seems to have no moral fiber, no finesse, no intellectual curiosity... and really isn't all that great of a business person... well...
I mean it breaks my heart to see people who really take themselves seriously just devolving to insipid nonsensical arguments.

No moral fiber. the guy has never had a drink of alcohol in his life. He has 3 grown children... children raised in a high profile billionaire home. None of the three are crazy spoiled idiots like we have seen far too often. In fact they all are hard working moral people... and that happened to people being raised by a man with no moral fiber? that's just crazy

no finesse... ok show me where finesse has worked? did Obama finesse the Russians out of Crimea? oh wait...finesse is over rated mostly because all the sudden its demanded of Trump.

no intellectual curiosity? seriously? exactly how do you come to this conclusion? and what the heck does this mean anyway?

and really isn't that great of a business person.... well... er... uhm.... and you seriously take yourself seriously. LOL.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:43 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
I was being sarcastic. I am no supporter of Trump. He is horrifying.

In an ideal world it would be as you say. The reality is Trump is in service to himself. He will dictate legislation and policy to the republican politicians and generals who now have absolute power over our government. They will be faithful servants in Trump world. Heil Trump.

Glad you explained BUT I have seen on TV voters who said he was like GOD- and right here people who have NO issues with anything he does- and he was right, can shoot in the plaza and -- they will follow him wherever he may goo lalala

Old 12-15-2016, 11:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Someone mentioned the objections to Hillary's role in Bill's administration and the subsequent litigation that resulted (which was decided in Hillary's favor) in a thread within the last week. I'm not familiar with that court decision. Would Ivanka having outside business interests make that ruling inapplicable and cause this issue to be litigated again (assuming Ivanka wouldn't be paid, just as Hillary wasn't paid) ?
I'm not familiar with that so I can't answer.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Can you name the 10 historical instances whereby an adult child of a president assumed responsibility for duties historically attributed to FLOTUS.
I was wondering this myself.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:46 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I mean it breaks my heart to see people who really take themselves seriously just devolving to insipid nonsensical arguments.

No moral fiber. the guy has never had a drink of alcohol in his life. He has 3 grown children... children raised in a high profile billionaire home. None of the three are crazy spoiled idiots like we have seen far too often. In fact they all are hard working moral people... and that happened to people being raised by a man with no moral fiber? that's just crazy

no finesse... ok show me where finesse has worked? did Obama finesse the Russians out of Crimea? oh wait...finesse is over rated mostly because all the sudden its demanded of Trump.

no intellectual curiosity? seriously? exactly how do you come to this conclusion? and what the heck does this mean anyway?

and really isn't that great of a business person.... well... er... uhm.... and you seriously take yourself seriously. LOL.
The three children raised primarily by their mothers and sent away to boarding schools? Those children?

As for morals, what kind of good moral man takes his mistress on a ski trip with his wife and children?

Old 12-15-2016, 11:47 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
[quote=Marlow;46514521]Apology accepted.

We're in all new territory here. No president has ever had the extensive business dealings that Trump and his family empire have. No president has ever involved his children in his administration to the extent it appears that Ivanka and her brothers may be involved. If Ivanka is given as large a role in Trump's administration that Hillary had in Bill's administration, then her business dealings should be subject to scrutiny.

Trump doesn't play by the rules and that's one reason so many people voted for him. But some rules are good and important to have. The president and anyone making policy on behalf of the president needs to have the interests of the United States as his or her only priority. It's not fair to the American people to have to wonder if Trump is being loyal to the U.S. or to his business interests. The same is true of Ivanka if she's going to have even an informal advisory role to Trump.

I don't think that all Trump supporters are mouth-breathing bigots. But I really, really want to see them hold Trump to the same standards that they held Obama, or Hillary during the election. Demand integrity and clear-dealing from him and protest if you don't see it. Don't blindly follow him wherever he wants to lead you.

BTW, you'll never see me speak ill of Melania. I actually feel kind of sorry for her and Barron. From what we've seen so far, neither appear comfortable or happy about their roles in Trump's presidency.[/quote]

well put- and agree

Old 12-15-2016, 11:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
most of the non spousal FLOTUS's were some relative of a widowed president. not all were daughters. However, Thomas Jefferson's daughter did from time to time fill that role. There have been at least a dozen instances of First Ladies not being the wife of the President. that would include some who filled the role, without the title.

I believe James Buchanan's nice was called something like "White House Hostess" but she was essentially First Lady.

Daughters, Nieces, Sisters have all filled the role from time to time. There is nothing "president setting" about Ivanka taking these responsibilities.

AND I do not believe there has been a statement from TheDonald that Ivanka is "first lady".
That's really different than what was first stated on this thread...and again who were these dozen presidents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies