Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think E. Murrow is right, more than ever
Nah, that is so white privilege. 1 3.13%
Nah, this is almost 2017, dude! 1 3.13%
Nope, Mr Murrow's thoughts are just sentimental drivel, not correct. 0 0%
Yes, he is 100% on target. 30 93.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 07:59 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,059,788 times

Advertisements

Mistakes? That is funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yes but since Media is run by actual humans and there is no such thing as a perfect human,mistakes can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 08:02 AM

Mods, please close this thread. We have a bonafide troll whose objective from the beginning was to divert, dismal, dismal the discussion. No substance, just argumentative. Sad, really.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:10 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
not a mistake when 99% of the media is continuously biased and reports fake news.
I mean righties have been taught for years now, by Fox, not to believe anything the 'lamestream' media says.

As such, they tend to rely on Fox News, Alex Jones, Breitbart and other false sources.

Indeed, Fox is biased.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:48 AM

Get educated. Read, for instance, Truman, by David McCullough. Particularly the chapter that deals with the press coverage during the reelection year of 1948. There are a number of journalists - when they did at least have some honesty - who acknowledged that they were 'in the tank' so to speak for Mr Truman's opponent. That is the chapter entitled Mr President, pages ~600 to ~700.

Pretty sure, Fox News did not exist then. While you are contemplating history, try out some new memes, not the same old, worn out, disproven ...and other false sources. You know be original, think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I mean righties have been taught for years now, by Fox, not to believe anything the 'lamestream' media says.

As such, they tend to rely on Fox News, Alex Jones, Breitbart and other false sources.

Indeed, Fox is biased.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:55 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
The problem, as I see it, is people take news they don't like and say its biased. Take the coverage of Donald Trump for example. I didn't see anything the media reported on him as false. He said all of those things. Yes, he did all of those things. Yet, people called the media biased against Trump. Then people say well they were all in for Hillary. Again, I didn't see that. I saw plenty of articles and reports detailing her email problems and that of Benghazi. Perhaps the issue isn't media bias, its personal bias.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:07 AM

27,118 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yes but since Media is run by actual humans and there is no such thing as a perfect human,mistakes can happen.
.....then there are things that happen that are in no wise a mistake.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:15 AM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

Similarly, you for instance are calling me a "Trumpette" meanwhile I still have my status set to the fact that I was supporting Gary Johnson, not Trump. I simply do my best to look at available facts,
Yes, I have noticed this in some responses to some of my posts, too. Like you, I voted for Johnson (I hated both Trump and HRC equally), but often when I write anything critical of HRC, someone blasts me for being a Trump supporter; and often when I write something critical of Trump, someone will blast me for being a disgruntled Hillary supporter.

Amazing how many people do think in black and white terms, with no room for shades of gray.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:31 AM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
They are still proving themselves to be inept after this election and after lecturing us about being "dumb" for falling for fake news, meanwhile every news outlet including CNN was blaring this story about the kid who died in Santa's arms, which...oops looks like it was fake news.

Story of Santa with dying child can't be verified
Just wondering if every news story that has not been verified should now start with the words, "The following has not been verified."

Also, I did not see that they actually said the Santa story was fake, just that it has not been proven to be true.* I think there is a difference.

*Please correct me if I am mistaken about that.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:49 AM

39,850 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
On the media, from an authentic journalist.

“To be persuasive, We must be believable,
To be believable, We must be credible,
To be credible, We must be truthful.”

― Edward R. Murrow

Was he, is he still correct? Is today's media, regardless of format, persuasive, believable, credible, truthful?
I have a real problem with the first part. “To be persuasive....". I'm sorry, but it is not the JOB of the news media to persuade. THAT IS WHAT THEY DON'T GET. Their job is to report and inform. ONLY.

The issue is that the MSM has anointed themselves as persuaders and manipulators of public opinion. That is their idea of their function. They do NOT report and inform, unless it supports the machination that they support.

In other words, in order to get people to believe our "fake news" we have to report just enough real news to look believable.

The modern MSM is truthful just long enough to maintain some faint spark of credibility, in order to be able to drive opinions. They have been caught in lies so many times that the spark has long since gone out.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 12-15-2016 at 12:04 PM..

Old 12-15-2016, 12:11 PM

This is very good perspective and analysis. Appreciate your response. I simply provided the table. You set it. In sincerity though, I think in the time of Edward R. Murrow, journalists could be and many were honorable men and women. Rightly or wrongly t heysaw themselves as the guardians of truth; watchmen for society. Because many were honorable, they did and could provide that service.

Your humbled neighborhood provocateur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have a real problem with the first part. “To be persuasive....". I'm sorry, but it is not the JOB of the news media to persuade. THAT IS WHAT THEY DON'T GET. Their job is to report and inform. ONLY.

The issue is that the MSM has anointed themselves as persuaders and manipulators of public opinion. That is their idea of their function. They do NOT report and inform, unless it supports the machination that they support.

In other words, in order to get people to believe our "fake news" we have to report just enough real news to look believable.

The modern MSM is truthful just long enough to maintain some faint spark of credibility, in order to be able to drive opinions. They have been caught in lies so many times that the spark has long since gone out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies