Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 02:04 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Every story from every MSM organization gets the "fake news" tag when you guys disagree with it. I'd like to compile a list of news sites you actually believe to be credible. Please, list a couple, so I know which facts I can present that won't be dismissed out of hand.
I don't trust any of them out of hand. If there is a story I care enough about, I spend far too much time reading multiple sources to verify or dismiss details in the original story. Read sites left and right, national and international, so-called hard news and blog sites and also get info from links on this site as well as pro-law enforcement FB pages. There is no one (or few) sites I can name off hand. In terms of TV news, I mostly watch FOX, although I also watch a local channel, Fox Business, CNN and and occasionally flip over to MSNBC to get their perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 02:06 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Not sure which news sources can be considered credible,
but I read/watch the followings

1. O'Reilly factor
2. Süddeutsche Zeitung
3. CCTV
4. BBC
5. Anderson Cooper
6. Hannity
7. Kelly File
8. Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
9. NHK
I watched the BBC news on TV late one night recently. The one thing that really struck home with me was how long they spent on each story and how in depth the stories were, compared to the sound-bites we call news coverage in this country.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:12 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I watched the BBC news on TV late one night recently. The one thing that really struck home with me was how long they spent on each story and how in depth the stories were, compared to the sound-bites we call news coverage in this country.
I agree.

---------------------------

I think one needs to filter out subjective adjectives and focus on objective facts - then you have news.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:14 PM

1,229 posts, read 858,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Breitbart because it's the one the progs are trying hardest to bring down.
For opinion I read :

Dr Paul Craig Roberts

Hugo Salanis Price

James Turk

Webster Tarpley

Joel Skousen

Robert Moriarty

William Arkin

James Corbett

Avi Gilburt

For entertainment I watch :

Hannity

Greg Hunter

For propaganda, confusion and chaos I watch :

CNN - more specifically - the panels hosted by Don Lemon and Anderson Cooper. Especially Anna Navarro

News aggregator I dial up :

Drudge

Old 12-15-2016, 02:20 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you're smart enough to use the internet you should be smart enough to recognize bias in news stories, no matter where they originate.

Part of the problem is that many people don't seem to have the ability to differentiate between news, opinion and entertainment.
Truth.

I personally believe there is bias in all news sources. I also make sure to recognize those biases for what they are.

IMO many on both the right and left refuse to see the obvious bias in the sources they cite and use that refusal to claim the other side is "fake" when really they are just being ignorant.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:58 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Al Jazeera

Old 12-15-2016, 05:12 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Truth.

I personally believe there is bias in all news sources. I also make sure to recognize those biases for what they are.

IMO many on both the right and left refuse to see the obvious bias in the sources they cite and use that refusal to claim the other side is "fake" when really they are just being ignorant.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Every news source has its bias, unless the writers and editors are completely objective, which I have doubts about for some reason...

Honestly, I get my news just from hearing people bring it up on this forum, or on facebook, or youtube, in person, etc... I don't actively seek it out. I then take into account who it's coming from, what their views tend to be, and then I look for what their opposition is saying about it.

There are people whose opinions I really respect, so I might seek out their thoughts on it, but I take their biases into account.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:30 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
I like news aggregators in order to read a variety of subjects and or opinions. I also rely on good historians, biographers works to give perspective. In a days time I might read articles from CNN, CNBC, The Guardian, WSJ, WAPO, Fiscal Times, ABC, CBS, NBC, NY Times, Dallas Morning News, Orange County Register(?),Bloomberg News, The Hill, The Week, The Federalists, Associated Press, Reuters, various other major papers and political newsletters from around the country. Seldom read Breitbart, Fox News.

Find a subject and then read 'news' or opinion pieces, not all from one viewpoint, that give me a good feel for the subject. So, I can form as independent understanding.

Occasionally watch a couple of the evening news programs, CNN and Bloomberg TV. Cut the cable a while back, so the set up I have does not give me MSNBC, nor Fox News. Antenna/Sling TV guy. Watching day(s) old news is kind of counterproductive, though I could.

No doubt I am conservative, but I do not seek only that that agrees with my viewpoint. Though, I've yet to have my foundational conservatism and textualist understanding of the Constitution shaken.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:32 PM

1,008 posts, read 487,110 times
Breitbart, unless the subject is Trump (they're heavily biased for).

Wikileaks.

RT, unless the subject is Putin/Syria (they're heavily biased for)

The Guardian seems to break stories US media won't touch.

Christian Science Monitor also does a good job.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:31 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I'm a moderate (fiscal) conservative.

I usually consider AP and Reuters to be fairly reliable and not too terribly biased.
That is astounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies