Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 12:53 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

I start of with MSN - only because I want to see what they are up to this time. Then I go to Reuters - which basically repeats MSN. Then I go to the BBC - which can repeat the first two; but I do like their articles. Then I go to the Keystone Report - which catches me up to date with our State. Then I hit the Drudge Report to see what I missed. I also check three local news stations.

But I have to read between the lines. No matter where I go I can still see biased reporting. You have to be careful that you don't get taken in - think, question and research. I wish that we would break up the six corporations that control 90% of the news - we were better off when we had dozens to chose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 01:36 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,444,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sarcasm, it's not just for breakfast anymore.

He was making fun of Rolling Stone.
Fair enough...It's hard to tell the diff here...so many really weird things presented as straight fact.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:42 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
The gossip at the local trailer park septic tank is more credible than the lame stream media....

Old 12-16-2016, 01:50 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Try this on for size.....

NONE OF THEM
Ah, so you follow the time honored tradition of news by word-of-mouth?

Old 12-16-2016, 02:08 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No one is disputing that, but there's an entire universe of difference between recognizing bias and putting your fingers in your ears and screaming "FAKE NEWS", which I've seen a lot of, on this board.
No. Everybody considers political views they don't agree with as being false or "fake."

That is why Fox news is fake to liberals and mainstream media news is fake to conservatives.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:40 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Ah, so you follow the time honored tradition of news by word-of-mouth?
The question from the OP was "which news sources you believe are credible"..... not, "which news sources do you watch"....

I watch a variety of sources. CNN, FOX, and yes, even MSNBC. Sometimes listen to talk radio. I read articles from WaPo, NYT, Huffington ( rarely ) and Slate ( rarely).....

Problem is, NONE OF THEM ARE CREDIBLE...... No, not even the Conservative ones. They are all biased and they all have agendas. There ARE NO completely credible sources out there. But, we still have an obligation to be informed, so it's up to the individual to wade through all the piles of crap and pick out the kernels of corn....

Old 12-16-2016, 02:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Every story from every MSM organization gets the "fake news" tag when you guys disagree with it. I'd like to compile a list of news sites you actually believe to be credible. Please, list a couple, so I know which facts I can present that won't be dismissed out of hand.
The investigative journalist. You only find a few left on MSM.

Not the teleprompter reading spokesmen.(talking heads)

Old 12-16-2016, 02:44 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
One comment about Alex Jones who's been in the 'mainstream news' recently.

All these people who call Alex Jones 'fake news' are missing out. There's nothing he says that's fake, he's not 'making things up' out of thin air, what he does is that he gets information from the internet or from other sources and he talks about it and offers an opinion, he's not 'inventing' stories, he's taking what's out there in the public sphere and commenting on it and offering his thoughts, sometimes people will agree with what he's saying, sometimes not, but he's not actually 'breaking' stories too often, so there's really nothing 'fake' about what he's saying, he's not beholden to George Soros, he's not accepting money from global interests and since he's the owner of his content, he can say whatever he wants, so whatever he's saying you know that's his opinion and not the opinion of Jeff Bezos or Carlos Slim.

Give me the guy's opinion who i know isn't saying what a billionaire is telling him to say anyday over these bought and paid for hacks.
So you actually give credibility to someone who's said that there are hidden chips within juice boxes that make children gay, and that believes Sandy Hook was a hoax, and that believes that Hillary Clinton has, quote, "murdered, chopped up, and raped so many children".....????

Wow, no wonder our country is in the toilet.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:55 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
One comment about Alex Jones who's been in the 'mainstream news' recently.

All these people who call Alex Jones 'fake news' are missing out. There's nothing he says that's fake, he's not 'making things up' out of thin air, what he does is that he gets information from the internet or from other sources and he talks about it and offers an opinion, he's not 'inventing' stories, he's taking what's out there in the public sphere and commenting on it and offering his thoughts, sometimes people will agree with what he's saying, sometimes not, but he's not actually 'breaking' stories too often, so there's really nothing 'fake' about what he's saying, he's not beholden to George Soros, he's not accepting money from global interests and since he's the owner of his content, he can say whatever he wants, so whatever he's saying you know that's his opinion and not the opinion of Jeff Bezos or Carlos Slim.

Give me the guy's opinion who i know isn't saying what a billionaire is telling him to say anyday over these bought and paid for hacks.
Alex Jones is the poster Child for Fake News. Do you think he is some ad-hoc radio host ? He and his staff sort their news stories weekly and actively decide what to promote. He is no better than "news" put out by lobbying organizations.

This dude is responsible for Sandy Hook parents being harassed, being accused of lying or "proving' their murdered children exist. He is partly responsible for a gunman showing up at a pizza parlor while people (Americans) ate dinner. He has promoted 9-11 conspiracy theories. All of this without the slightest shred of hard evidence.

It is sad how gullible much of the American public has become. Told that reputable media companies like LA Times, Chicago Tribune, NYT, WAPO and CBS are untruthful but believe paid shills for lobbyists or millionaires or a political party.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The point is all news media is suspect for biases, pushing certain facts and ignoring others. .
Of course. We know who owns Breitbart, and we know who owns Huff Post. The "news" and editorials follow in line with the founders' world view. What's to suspect? It's true.

I would suspect that many right-wingers, if they don't read Fox regularly, are getting their opinions from rightwing radio pundits and from disgruntled posters on internet forums and social media who just "know what they know." Each time I've asked for a link I've gotten no answer, and no answer to what is your source? The right doesn't answer because they don't know, and the left doesn't answer because they don't want to admit their source is Huff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies