Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 07:25 PM

610 posts, read 532,633 times

Advertisements

I certainly don't carry water for biased professors, but your nephew wrote a "polemic" and perhaps the prof was looking for a more neutral analysis, like a news article would be (but your nephew has probably never been exposed to unbiased news, it's out of fashion now). Just a thought, but if true, the prof should have said so.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:29 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
Holy cow, this is a college student?

Yikes.

I think this "snowflake" should be happy with the D and stop complaining.

There are LOTS of problems with the essay, but my favorite part is:

Quote:
Donald Trump did have some past mistakes come up before the election such as vulgar comments he has made, but nothing quite severe compared to Hillary who had the email scandal as well as the Benghazi attacks.
The writer referenced the email scandal previously, but this is the only place in the essay that the Benghazi attack is mentioned. What was it? What did it have to do with Clinton? Why did it make a difference in the election?

Also, "nothing quite severe compared to Hillary"?

Honestly, this is about what I would expect out of a fifth or sixth grade student.

Last edited by Knox Harrington; 12-15-2016 at 07:43 PM..

Old 12-15-2016, 07:30 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,246,607 times
Problem 1:
This paper is not wrote good, if you catch my drift.
Problem 2:
Don't be a fool. Go along, get the grade and move on.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:56 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,362,874 times
I went to one of the better community colleges in the Phoenix area and this writing is on par with a lot of what I read during peer to peer sessions.

They can't fail 90% of the students every semester.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:48 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
I'd have given this paper a C.

He answered the question and his spelling and grammar were okay, but there was definitely a lot of subjectivity throughout the essay. On a somewhat related note, he also generally shouldn't write in first person.

That said, the phrasing of the question does make it unclear whether subjectivity and first person perspective are expected in the paper, so taking that into consideration, I'd perhaps give this a B-.

The reason I wouldn't grade it an A regardless is because it doesn't flow very well. It reads somewhat awkward and choppy.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 12-15-2016 at 11:13 PM..

Old 12-15-2016, 10:54 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think the OP's use of the word 'professor' means it's college.
it is possible it is high school. 2 of my teachers in high school only taught one class at the school, and spend the rest at the local university as profs, and that is how we addressed them.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:58 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think the OP's use of the word 'professor' means it's college.
I missed that.

Wow. Yeah this isn't college level work. D or C. Some professors might just give it a F. This is not about beliefs. Read your title of this OP. yeah. Its about your bias.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:05 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
On top of affirmative action and promote diversity, liberal academia subjectively downgrades anyone not 'diverse' (white and male) and anyone they suspect of being conservative. Coercion is one way liberals make sure more people toe and accept the liberal line. Like Kermit the frog, it's not easy being green or white or conservative.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:11 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I missed that.

Wow. Yeah this isn't college level work. D or C. Some professors might just give it a F. This is not about beliefs. Read your title of this OP. yeah. Its about your bias.
If this is truly for college and the OP isn't using 'professor' as a euphemism for 'teacher', then I have to say that I was overly generous in my original assessment...

I still wouldn't give the paper an F, as he did at least address the question. A D is probably a fair grade.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:11 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Am I being biased? The assignment was why do you believe Trump won the election?

teachers comments
Your writing needs is (should be "are" irony! ) adequate,*but needs a little polish.

Election Paper

November 9, 2016 will go down as one of the most surprising wins in election history. Republican candidate Donald Trump came from behind and won the Electoral College vote with 279 votes compared to his rival, Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton who received 228 votes. Hillary Clinton was expected to win the presidency but shockingly lost a few major swing states. There is one major reason why I feel Donald Trump came out on top and will be the next president of the United States. The biggest reason is that voters do not feel that they can trust Hillary in such a powerful position.

The reason Trump won that I am going to discuss is that people did not feel that they could trust Hillary and what she was doing. There were allegations against her that “classified information was improperly stored or transmitted on a personal e-mail server she used during her tenure.” (FBI.gov p.1) These emails had top secret information in them that put the security of the American people at risk. After people were aware of what she had done and how careless her actions were, the American people began to feel that Hillary was negligent and untrustworthy especially after she tried deleting the thousands of emails and destroying devices that had the emails on them. In our PowerPoints from class, it mentions that it is important for the presidential candidate to be credible and reliable. People felt that the actions taken by Clinton and her organization were unacceptable and people began to question her intentions in everything she was doing. Many lawsuits were filed against her and it really damaged her reputation. It was also in the book “American Government” where it says, “An ideal candidate…will have an unblemished record.” (p.519)

Donald Trump did have some past mistakes come up before the election such as vulgar comments he has made, but nothing quite severe compared to Hillary who had the email scandal as well as the Benghazi attacks. For Donald Trump, this worked in his favor and led voters to change their vote from the Democratic party to be in favor of the Republican party.

By doing this paper, it has really helped me understand what people look for in a president and shows me how big of an impact a bad event can have on a president’s chances of being elected. I never really knew how big of an impact a mistake can have when voting for the president. I have learned that honesty and trustworthiness are huge characteristics of a good presidential candidate and can make or break them. This paper has also taught me to look at additional resources when trying to understand something in order to make sure I am receiving correct and accurate information.

Donald Trump’s come from behind win will go down in history as one of the best come backs in United States’ history of voting. There are many factors that may have contributed to this. The one I found most impactful was having to do with trust. It is now up to us to unite together and support our president in order to help him have the best impact on our country. Let’s Make America Great Again!
If your son is in college and wrote this, then he has lots of work to do. He really needs to work on his writing skills. Sorry, don't mean to offend but this is just basic stuff that he wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies