Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 08:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Sad but true.

If those economically depressed areas will get fiber optic internet, they may see some small revival in those who work remotely. But the distance to airports will limit this, as many who work remotely need to fly to the home office on a regular basis.

But otherwise, they will only be able to attract those on disability or retirement and those providing services to such folks.

It used to be that folks followed the jobs. No jobs in the south? They headed north. No jobs in the dustbowl? They headed west.

Now they sit in their double-wides and ***** about Obama.

Sounds like an employed slave mentality to me.... Letting someone else set your destiny.
The employee mentality, will always be held down and oppressed by the king, you call a boss.

The freedom & liberties that come with setting your own destiny, is scary as hell! You will soon find out, how mother nature works and the weak & freaks are culled back to the employee slaves. Only the strong survive. You do not only battle your competition, you also battle a government dead set to control every aspect of your business, as if it were theirs, that you manage for them, on commission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 09:08 AM

19,621 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Sad but true.

If those economically depressed areas will get fiber optic internet, they may see some small revival in those who work remotely. But the distance to airports will limit this, as many who work remotely need to fly to the home office on a regular basis.

But otherwise, they will only be able to attract those on disability or retirement and those providing services to such folks.

It used to be that folks followed the jobs. No jobs in the south? They headed north. No jobs in the dustbowl? They headed west.

Now they sit in their double-wides and ***** about Obama.

We DO have a lot of social problems now, that is across the board not just in small economically depressed towns. There is no point in saving a town that doesn't want to be saved because everyone is too high or lazy to care. But the same can be said for a lot of inner city areas. The political and racial divisions don't help us deal with our social issues.

I'm not sure about following the jobs. There are long standing communities in small towns that have existed for generations. They are close knit because of that, they didn't just break apart to follow jobs until more recently. Many of us did this at a young age to make quick money then returned to our communities and family. Now we are supposed to abandon that permanently and live like vagabonds, not set and keep roots because jobs moving wherever.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:26 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Sounds like an employed slave mentality to me.... Letting someone else set your destiny.
The employee mentality, will always be held down and oppressed by the king, you call a boss.

The freedom & liberties that come with setting your own destiny, is scary as hell! You will soon find out, how mother nature works and the weak & freaks are culled back to the employee slaves. Only the strong survive. You do not only battle your competition, you also battle a government dead set to control every aspect of your business, as if it were theirs, that you manage for them, on commission.
Wow, you got it wrong. It's not oppressed by the boss. You CHOSE to work for someone else. Instead of start and run your own business and be the boss.

Example... the minute someone CHOOSES to not educate themselves with a marketable skill, they choose to depend on someone else for income. And if you did choose to educate yourself, your choice of field also effects if you work for someone else or can work for yourself.

Example ... a friend, an accountant, she has been running her own business from home outsourcing her services for years. She's so busy that she needs to hire people. Just be glad there are people who WILL take the initiative, build and grow that business and then will hire people who won't take the initiative to go out on their own. By the way, she lives in one of those blue wall states and lives in the country.

Last edited by petch751; 12-22-2016 at 11:38 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 11:33 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How long did it take to accomplish that and how much revenue is it bringing to the residents, not business owners or commercial landlords, but residents? Have property taxes gone up to pay for the governmental costs of doing the necessary things for that destination?

Don't think I'm being snarky, I have a hidden agenda for asking.

In reality, the residents aren't getting squat and they cannot even afford to shop in those businesses. They rely on taxes generated by tourism to cover their welfare checks. The Walmart put all the local businesses that used to occupy the downtown.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Who said anyone was gonna force you to do anything? OP said that small towns are dying. Ultimately he's suggesting that moving is the wise thing to do but nobody's gonna make you do it.

This country isn't about telling people how to live their lives. Now I'm gonna have to excuse myself and go roll a blunt.
OP has laid judgement about what OP knows nothing about except for what the media tells him/her. And I quote OP.... "There's no reason for them to exist. referring to small towns and rural area's" To which people reply and rightfully so.... who in the H is OP and other like thinkers think they are to arrogantly think that way" What.. just because they didn't vote for Hillary? Not everyone wants to be a city cement jungle dweller and shouldn't have to move because liberals think they should, instead, the U.S. is big with lots of land, would you really want everyone leaving the country and moving to the cities... it's bad as it is, can you imagine if more people moved there?

Old 12-22-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You know, I think this really highlights the problem with the Republican right.

They're very, very, very into telling people what they can and cannot do. They like to strip away rights. They like to punish people who don't think and act exactly like them, even if those other people aren't hurting anyone else.

They, as authoritarians, can't even fathom the idea that someone might have an opinion on something without wishing to force everyone to conform with that opinion.
Wow, really?.... does anyone have a mirror so Jason can see he's describing Democrats and Liberals?

Old 12-22-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
In Pa small coal towns have become places where immigrants come to live. Houses are dirt cheap and can be rented through section 8 or even purchased. There are few local jobs but with living expenses being low they can have families live reasonably comfortably on welfare. And if the father works and commutes outside the area and the family still gets social services, they can do even better.
I can't say these towns are coming back, but they are transitioning to something. But urban areas are also not thriving and have also become very similar to the small towns. And as was said, if social services were ever done away with, both would become ghost towns.
I don't know where you are referring to but not around here. In the area I know, people work, getting welfare is looked down on and families are important and mostly intact. Then again the further toward the city you go is where you'll find a lot of people on welfare, not the country area's.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:53 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Wow, you got it wrong. It's not oppressed by the boss. You CHOSE to work for someone else. Instead of start and run your own business and be the boss.

Example... the minute someone CHOOSES to not educate themselves with a marketable skill, they choose to depend on someone else for income. And if you did choose to educate yourself, your choice of field also effects if you work for someone else or can work for yourself.

Example ... a friend, an accountant, she has been running her own business from home outsourcing her services for years. She's so busy that she needs to hire people. Just be glad there are people who WILL take the initiative, build and grow that business and then will hire people who won't take the initiative to go out on their own. By the way, she lives in one of those blue wall states and lives in the country.
How did I get it wrong, when you agreed with me. It is that full time employee mentality, and no creativity to take a risk. Just move from job to job, complaining and tainting other employees in the misery of, making a rich guy richer.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:07 PM

The majority of U.S. cities and towns do not impose a wage tax. In Pennsylvania, some 97% of municipalities and 94% of school districts levy a wage tax (aka earned income tax), according to the Tax Foundation in Washington, D.C.

Pittsburgh has a 3% wage tax if you live in the city limits. If you live outside the city limits you pay a local wage tax, usually 1%. You also pay income taxes to the state at a flat 3.07%. The City of Pgh charges all employees a 52 dollar year head tax.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How did I get it wrong, when you agreed with me. It is that full time employee mentality, and no creativity to take a risk. Just move from job to job, complaining and tainting other employees in the misery of, making a rich guy richer.
You called it oppressed when in fact since they won't take the initiative to start, run and be their own boss they should be glad that other people will so they can get a job and make money. Instead, the left attacks them. If they think they can do better, then stop complaining and start a business.

I will tell you this, The Obama has been tough on small business. Maybe you'd be better off to stay working for someone else. Now that's oppression, making it so damn hard that it increases your chances of failing if you do try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies