Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 06:38 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times

Advertisements

It reminds me of what the Democrats did when Romney was governor.... liberals didn't have a problem with it then... deceitful liars those liberals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 06:44 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
It seems even with a new Governor, it will be a challenge to get HB2 over-turned. What are your thoughts on that? I am asking as a long time associate with the NCAA.
IMO, not good.

The governor never had the power to overturn HB2. This was true for McCrory and it will be true for Cooper. This is because the GOP in the both houses of the NC General Assembly have a veto proof super majority. Oddly enough, nobody in the state really wants this bill now but the partisan lines have been drawn and it will be difficult to move a bill through that would pull it.

Ironically it was McCrory who had the best chance to convince the hardcore GA to pull the bill. But it became personal between him and the Democrat mayor of Charlotte. I was surprised at how he & she acted.

As far as HB2 biting the dust now, I'm gonna say the GOP GA might still be willing to pull HB2, but it won't be at the hands of Cooper. The GA has made it clear where he stands with them. It's gonna take Jennifer Roberts, the mayor of Charlotte, to make the first move on the matter, and I don't see her doing so.

The only other avenue is if the courts strike it down.

(BTW I think HB2 is horrible and should be pulled. It's the very reason that I didn't vote for McCrory.)

Old 12-17-2016, 06:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Now if Democrats can take the States house and senate, they may have the power to change it.

Elections have consequences.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:51 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I'd say epic is a rather apt assessment, sounds like a coup d'Ă©tat! One would think fundamental changes to the incoming governor's power would be taken to the people for consideration.
Exactly. The same people that say the outgoing President can't fullfill his duty to nominate a SCOTUS judge have no problem with the outgoing governor presiding over a scorched earth policy. I live in NC, and I can only hope, and do my part to make this bite them in the ass big-time.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:51 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
McCrony must be soooooooooooooo proud, the ONLY incumbent Governor in NC history to lose his reelection campaign and now the ringleader of the state's Grand Obstructionist Party. Climb back under the rock you crawled out from under Pat, you're over with.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:55 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yes you did and what did I say?The voters of NC voted in this man and the GOP of NC are taking away his power as Gov before he gets in.This they would not have done had the GOP governor been re-elected.So the GOP in NC is telling the voters of NC your votes don't matter.The man was voted in by the people to Govern and the GOP is saying no we don't want you to.Understand Comrade Waldo?
Waldokitty will ONLY understand this if the SCOTUS starts holding Trump to the law, or if the few sane people left in Washington start checking his power. Then he'll understand just fine (even if he fails to make the connection).

Old 12-17-2016, 07:05 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
If Obama, Never Trump, and company were as concerned with the power Trump will acquire as they claim to be they'd be doing something like this at the federal level...

Old 12-17-2016, 07:14 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Now if Democrats can take the States house and senate, they may have the power to change it.

Elections have consequences.
This action may cause the house and senate to flip. People will and should be upset. This kind of garbage shouldn't be allowed. The GOP is acting like a bunch of Hillarys and should be voted out.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:14 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It reminds me of what the Democrats did when Romney was governor.... liberals didn't have a problem with it then... deceitful liars those liberals...
Maybe you can point out some details, the MA legislature passed laws weakening the governor in December of his incoming year?

Old 12-17-2016, 07:22 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Waldokitty will ONLY understand this if the SCOTUS starts holding Trump to the law, or if the few sane people left in Washington start checking his power. Then he'll understand just fine (even if he fails to make the connection).
If you are going to talk about what I might or might not understand in the third person, you might first wish to get a few things straight.

The Supreme Court does not "hold" anyone to the law. Their job is to determine if laws & executive orders violate the Constitution. They can only do this IF said if first challenged in court, and they agree to hear it.

BTW, the topic is about North Carolina, not Trump. Do you have anything to say about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies