Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 11:26 PM

361 posts, read 432,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yes the electoral college elected Trump. The popular vote elected Hillary.
Oh, the electoral college. Were it not for the electoral college, California and New York would determine every election. By the way, I'm not bashing you, because I don't know which party you belong to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Sure, people will disagree with those views, but most people, from my experience, don't have much anti-Catholic sentiment. Well, with the exception of Evangelical Christianity, which progressives tend to be more critical of as they are far more politically active than the Catholic church.

Interestingly enough, according to Pew Research data, members of the Catholic Church are actually pretty evenly split between those who identify as conservative and those as liberal, with a slight edge towards liberals. This is pretty significant when compared to Mormonism and Southern Baptism, the latter of which is highly politically active and the former seeming to become more so, which both are heavily dominated by conservatives.
That is interesting to hear. Having a progressive roommate from the EU really sucks though, especially when he says things like Muslims are benefitting America and all Republicans are racist. If I was present when he said that, I probably would have punched him or at least given him a good lecture.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:37 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
Oh, the electoral college. Were it not for the electoral college, California and New York would determine every election. By the way, I'm not bashing you, because I don't know which party you belong to.
I just think the popular vote should count. North Dakota has 3 electoral votes with a population of under 800,000. Maryland has almost 6 million people with 10 electoral votes.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I just think the popular vote should count. North Dakota has 3 electoral votes with a population of under 800,000. Maryland has almost 6 million people with 10 electoral votes.
I respect that, but CA and NY are both extremely large, liberal states, and that the electoral college is needed to give conservatives a chance, but to each his own. I don't care about other people's political views, but most progressives want to massacre Republicans because they don't agree with them and automatically hate anybody who is white, straight, and Christian before even getting to know them as a person. And a group of college students the other day tore down a Shakespeare exhibit because it wasn't diverse enough for them. That crap infuriates me.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:46 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
No you want only the popular liberal, foreigner vote to count so Democrats always win. If you win the popular vote in a state then you win the electors. So the popular vote still counts.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:46 PM

649 posts, read 316,506 times
Quote:
Deny all you want but if Hillary had won without winning the popular vote you would have been pleased as punch & all would be as it should be just like it's always been .

Go ahead and tell us you would be complaining bigtime because she won without winning the popular vote .

Old 12-17-2016, 12:05 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
The electoral college was created because white men in Massachusetts outnumbered white men in Virginia; But White men+ their slaves in Virginia were about equal to Massachusetts.

In short, the electoral college and our Apportionment of Representatives both exist because black people were slaves and women couldnt vote.

Now that both can, and have the ability to voice their opinions, the reasoning behind having an electoral college no longer exists.

As for your NY and California argument. It is not like every other state is 50/50 Dem and Republican and because of that, they carry weight in picking the President.

Other states are just as much lopsided in voting. And further more, the imaginary lines between states dont make anyone more or less american for you to claim their vote counts for less

Last edited by dsjj251; 12-17-2016 at 12:17 AM..

Old 12-17-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
I respect that, but CA and NY are both extremely large, liberal states, and that the electoral college is needed to give conservatives a chance, but to each his own.
That isnt true, Conservatives can win the popular vote and did just 12 years ago with George Bush.

And while we all realize that the EC is the system we have, You should never argue that the majority should be gerrymandered out of having a voice.

What happens when the shoe is on the other foot ????

Quote:
I don't care about other people's political views, but most progressives want to massacre Republicans because they don't agree with them and automatically hate anybody who is white, straight, and Christian before even getting to know them as a person. And a group of college students the other day tore down a Shakespeare exhibit because it wasn't diverse enough for them. That crap infuriates me.
I highly doubt that happens. As many liberals and progressives I know, I have never once heard anyone talk that way. My guess is that you were part of a bigger conversation and instead of that being conveyed, you looked at it by the most simplistic of terms.

Lets say someone was gay, and they simply pointed out that those who shunned them where part of the Christian community they grew up in. Now that clearly isnt them calling all Christians bad, but it is pointing out the flaw in religion on that subject.

The same could be true of black people who have been through a lot of racism in their life,

Old 12-17-2016, 12:41 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,996 times
Quote:
Yes the electoral college elected Trump. The popular vote elected Hillary.
Honestly, I have trouble believing she won the popular vote because the amount of fraud in the states she won is jaw dropping. Ad to this, they don't count votes from abroad in some states unless the amount of abroad votes is greater than the margin of victory. Votes from abroad swing heavily Republican because of soldiers and their families living abroad.

Lastly, it makes no difference who one the popular vote because those weren't the rules. If we went by the popular vote, Trump would have campaigned in some of these liberal hell-holes that Hillary beat the brakes of him in like like LA, Chicago, or DC.

They both knew the rules going in, and even with massive funding deficit, I relentless liberal media, and a small ground game Don won against all odds. Even if you can't stand the guy, what he did was absolutely remarkable.

President Trump.....SAY IT!

Old 12-17-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Honestly, I have trouble believing she won the popular vote because the amount of fraud in the states she won is jaw dropping.
If you would like to provide evidence of fraud that would be great.

Quote:
Ad to this, they don't count votes from abroad in some states unless the amount of abroad votes is greater than the margin of victory. Votes from abroad swing heavily Republican because of soldiers and their families living abroad.
Thats an argument that the margin is smaller, not that it would flip, by your own definition.

Quote:
Lastly, it makes no difference who one the popular vote because those weren't the rules. If we went by the popular vote, Trump would have campaigned in some of these liberal hell-holes that Hillary beat the brakes of him in like like LA, Chicago, or DC.

They both knew the rules going in, and even with massive funding deficit, I relentless liberal media, and a small ground game Don won against all odds. Even if you can't stand the guy, what he did was absolutely remarkable.

President Trump.....SAY IT!
By your own logic, wouldnt Hillary have done the same thing ????

Also, lets be clear, the gap when it comes to ground game wasnt as big as some like you claim. Trump had no presidential ground game, but Republicans had a congressional one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies