Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 12:14 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes, indeed, and right wingers have doubled down on it DEMANDING that everyone say "Merry Christmas' no matter what religion they are.
This. It's not all right wingers and it's certainly not all Christians. It's a small but vocal crowd, they are very insistent!

Old 12-19-2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
I really don't understand what the big deal is.

I celebrate Chanukah. YAY! Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel I made it out of clay... Maoz Tzur, Latkes, Sufganiyot and all that.

If somebody wishes me Merry Christmas, I see it as a nice gesture. How could they know I celebrate Chanukah? Most people celebrate Christmas, after all.

Happy Holidays is a nice greeting that encompasses all but it should not be a politically correct "requirement." Don't we have any REAL issues in the world? I say this as somebody who is pretty high up there on religious observance.
Happy Holidays/Seasons Greetings is not a politically correct requirement. There are certain people on the right (not all) who want others to think that it is, and they bring it up every single year. If a department store requests that their staff use any greeting that is all encompassing, then these people throw a fit. Staff should use "Merry Christmas" period because "Murica" is a Christian nation. It's so tiresome. I think it's almost a decade now that the "War on Christmas" has been going on? Christmas has not been stopped. Nor has Chanukah. Absolutely agree that we have real issues to be focusing on. So why do we have someone posting that, hurray! Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah are back! They never went away.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
And a Happy Festivus to you!

lol...
The Airing of Grievances on this board. :-)

Old 12-19-2016, 01:16 AM

19,387 posts, read 15,224,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
The Airing of Grievances on this board. :-)
lol!

Anyway, I was waiting in a hospital lobby recently, and, while the woman at the front desk was, and always is, very, very friendly and helpful to everyone, someone told her, "Merry Christmas." Oh, boy, this gave her her opening. "Thank you, you said it RIGHT, you said it RIGHT!" I've listened to these emphatic statements for years now, but I had just had my fill of it at that moment. Had to hold back from rolling my eyes. Especially if you're in a professional environment. Just dial it back a little, okay?

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 12-19-2016 at 02:13 AM..

Old 12-19-2016, 02:38 AM

31,006 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The OP left out Ramadan>
Complete wrong time of the year.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:56 AM

646 posts, read 464,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Happy Holidays/Seasons Greetings is not a politically correct requirement. There are certain people on the right (not all) who want others to think that it is, and they bring it up every single year. If a department store requests that their staff use any greeting that is all encompassing, then these people throw a fit. Staff should use "Merry Christmas" period because "Murica" is a Christian nation. It's so tiresome. I think it's almost a decade now that the "War on Christmas" has been going on? Christmas has not been stopped. Nor has Chanukah. Absolutely agree that we have real issues to be focusing on. So why do we have someone posting that, hurray! Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah are back! They never went away.
Obviously, these people don't have any REAL problems. I wish my life was so boring that I could spend time worrying about "The War on Christmas" or get upset that somebody does not say "Happy Holidays" (I have met such people).

Old 12-19-2016, 03:07 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
And a Happy Festivus to you!

lol...
You're late ,check page two.\\#12

Old 12-19-2016, 03:11 AM

764 posts, read 597,049 times
I think its dumb to get worked up about the issue either way. The people who yell "ITS NOT HAPPY HOLIDAYS" are just as annoying to me as the PC folks who think its wrong to say Merry Christmas.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
Obviously, these people don't have any REAL problems. I wish my life was so boring that I could spend time worrying about "The War on Christmas" or get upset that somebody does not say "Happy Holidays" (I have met such people).
I haven't personally met (or know) people who get worried about how people refer to the holidays, thankfully. I just read about them here and in articles, and it seems constant year after year. Of the people whom you have met who have issue with how people refer to this season, what religion are they? Wondering after reading your post, you're Jewish. I have Jewish relatives, lots of Jewish friends, none I can remember tossing a fit about how the holidays are addressed. On City Data and in news articles, haven't heard complaints about Happy Holidays/Season's Greetings from Jewish folks. It's always from certain fundamentalist types. And for the record my family and I do have REAL problems, but I do worry about people saying how wonderful it is that we can once again say Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah, because it insinuates that we haven't been allowed to under our current and past administrations and that is complete BS. It's a lie perpetrated by right wingers.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:58 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
I CANNOT understand why people get so worked up about this, here in the United States. Isn't that what we're all about?? Melting pot, land of opportunity, all that jazz?? There is no all-encompassing religion that we have to abide by here.

How can you possibly find offense in addressing EVERYONE with just a basic, goodwill-inducing greeting? Even if you are of a different religion than the person you are addressing, isn't that the core of (most) religions? Love and morals and ethics and good will and fellowship? Our country is not going to be destroyed by using the phrase "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." So, in other words, unless you're Christian, you can't voice good wishes to others? smh
My own perspective is some people use their religion as a weapon and an excuse to show just how persecuted they really are. Of course, we all know they aren't persecuted but these people have a very odd need to feel persecuted. I feel like its a sort of self confidence issue to be honest. Like they derive power from their persecution complex because they are going to show the world they don't care what it thinks. Its just weird LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies