Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 11:22 AM

5,860 posts, read 3,297,839 times

Advertisements

American Police News - America's Police News Cant imagine living in a situation like that. Strict gun control laws must really work!!!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 11:29 AM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Chicago has suffered 765 homicides so far this year, 687 were from gunshots.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:41 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
You'd be crazy not to own a gun while living in Chicagostan.

And everyone knows strict gun control laws only make it more challenging for law abiding citizen to stay on the right side of the law. Meanwhile, criminals do what criminals will always do. They ignore the law.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Chicago has suffered 765 homicides so far this year, 687 were from gunshots.
Most occured in 5 out of 25 Police Precincts.

Reportedly most involve at least one gang member, but not necessarily related to inter-gang warfare.

Chicago is a national distributer of heroin. Gangs own the retail end of the business. Interestingly, the white suburbanites who travel to inner city open air markets to buy, do not become homicide victims. They are amongst the safest group of people in the worst neighborhoods.

People are using social media to disrespect eachother. Instead of ignoring it, it is considered bad form to back off.

" Making eyes" with the wrong person can result in a shootout.

Gang initiations frequently require the shooting of random people.

And then there's random shooting just for the fun of it.

No fixing hood rat.

NYC has stricter gun laws than Chicago and yet has not experienced the same level of gun homicides. When C/C became legal in Illinois, it was thought it would reduce gun homicides. The reality is that gun homicides increased. Is there a connection? Who knows? A gun is not going to do you much good when you have been targeted as a random victim by someone who does not expect to live to his 25th birthday.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:27 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Yep. Lincoln Park murder rate 1 per 100k residents annualy.

A few miles away, same laws, same availability of guns, Austin has a murder rate of 30+ per 100k residents.

Gun violence, gangs etc. are a symptom.

The reason that the politicians are interested in treating the symptom is because:
1) It's politically expedient to blame rural areas on several levels.
2) It's expensive to fix the disease, it's free to blame the symptom.

The hard cold truth is that Chicago doesn't give a sh*t about some poor black kids shooting each in bad neighborhoods unless the number gets big enough to embarass them nationally. The politicians then have rallys, show up at black churches, maybe do a peace march or two and then head back to their safe neighborhoods knowing they've passed the buck and will be re-elected.

The rest of Illinois has even more guns but their gun violence is 20% of Chicagos....but the problem they're selling is that it's the guns. They're liars.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:29 PM

Then there's the Guiliani thing. Guy never misses an opportunity to remind people he reduced violent crime in NYC while he was mayor. Guy has made a fortune on the speaker's circuit talking about himself.

He does not however mention that violent crime peaked all over the US in the late- 80's- early 90's. I have no recollection of anyone blaming Reagan or Bush 1 for this. Violent crime throughout the US substantially declined as the 90's progressed and did so despite very different strategies employed by PD throughout the US.

There is no consensus among experts as to why violent crime reduced.

What's going on today is a fraction of what happened in the 80-90's.

One thing that's different now is that gangs have splintered into thousands of factions with no central leadership. It's no longer possible for PD to broker peace with gangs.

As it relates to Chicago, there is a revolving door amongst criminals due to relatively lax STATE sentencing and parole matters. This is often portrayed as the gun lobby vs everyone else. When PD is able to catch a bad guy, they are often repeat offenders. I suspect the reality is the state cannot afford to keep bad guys off the street.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:36 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Then there's the Guiliani thing. Guy never misses an opportunity to remind people he reduced violent crime in NYC while he was mayor. Guy has made a fortune on the speaker's circuit talking about himself.

He does not however mention that violent crime peaked all over the US in the late- 80's- early 90's. I have no recollection of anyone blaming Reagan or Bush 1 for this. Violent crime throughout the US substantially declined as the 90's progressed and did so despite very different strategies employed by PD throughout the US.

What's going on today is a fraction of what happened in the 80-90's.

One thing that's different now is that gangs have splintered into thousands of factions with no central leadership. It's no longer possible for PD to broker peace with gangs.

As it relates to Chicago, there is a revolving door amongst criminals due to relatively lax STATE sentencing and parole matters. This is often portrayed as the gun lobby vs everyone else. When PD is able to catch a bad guy, they are often repeat offenders. I suspect the reality is the state cannot afford to keep bad guys off the street.
I don't like Giulliani but he did put in aggressive (illegal?) policing tactics including what is now called stop and frisk and of course profiling. It was almost 20 years ago so people forget that he was largely demonized for this and called racist, facist etc. Wasn't until 9-11 when he was viewed more favorably.

I have to say that Giulliani DID actually reduce violent crime in NY but not to the extent that is claimed because as you;ve correctly noted it was getting better everywhere.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:42 PM

Trump has vowed to put an end to the gun violence in places like Chicago.

He has not disclosed how.

No POTUS can change state sentencing/ parole mandates.

Maybe he intends to make more federal funding available for prisons and Police. Not sure Congress will go along with this.

Nothing suggests Trump will mitigate the War on Drugs. And again, not sure if Congress would play ball, if he did.

Or maybe he believes the economy will improve so much with the Trump touch that everyone will be employed and no longer engaging in violent crime.

Not sure what this is going to do to change the trajectory of a 19 year old's life, given he is likely a drop out, unskilled, lacks appropriate communication skills and impulse control. There is no fixing hood rat.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:44 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,459 times
That is wild. You don't hear anything like that in Milwaukee in the worst areas. Not ongoing traded gun fire like you have two military platoons shooting at each other.

LOL! @ Chicagostan.

Listening to that video evidences why impoverished, black, Chicago refugees with no Wisconsin documentation flee by the thousands to Milwaukee, crossing the Wisconsin southern boarder, looking more desperate than Mexican immigrants. LOL.

But you don't see impoverished blacks in Milwaukee fleeing in any significant numbers to Chicago. There is a reason for that. People say, "Well, if Mexico is so great then why are Mexicans here in Milwaukee?" Well, if Chicago is so great why are so many Chicagoans here in Milwaukee? In both cases it's the poor from Chicago and Mexico coming to Milwaukee. Not the upper-middle-class Chicagoans and Mexicans. They stay living in Chicago and in Mexico.

If I were rich or upper-middle-class I might live in Chicago (Chicago has some of the best urban residential architecture/communities in the country). But if I were officially poor--as I am--it would be one of my last choices of residence. Even as middle-class I'm not sure I would want to live in Chicago. I would have to be at least upper-middle-class.

Last edited by Frogburn; 12-17-2016 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-17-2016, 12:50 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

What's going on today is a fraction of what happened in the 80's-90's.

Chicago's homicides this year are reaching those that have not been seen since the mid '90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies