Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 04:01 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Estimated net worth of $11.5 billion. It wasn't all government money either. His first company was sold to Compaq. He made $22 million. PayPal was bought by eBay. Musk received $165 million. SpaceX is the world's largest private manufacturer of rocket engines, and is picking up the ball that NASA dropped. Besides its own innovative vehicles, Tesla sells electric powertrains to Daimler and Toyota.

You call that being a loser? I wish I could be a fraction of the loser Musk is.
The common denominator is luck.
SpaceX is possibly about broke due to failing 2 launches in a year.
Tesla is no longer a supplier to Daimler and Toyota.

Tesla No Longer Auto Tech Supplier for Mercedes-Benz | Fortune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 04:09 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The common denominator is luck.
SpaceX is possibly about broke due to failing 2 launches in a year.
Tesla is no longer a supplier to Daimler and Toyota.

Tesla No Longer Auto Tech Supplier for Mercedes-Benz | Fortune.com
Pretty impressive that companies like Toyota and Mercedes looked to his company for this new technology.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:13 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
We are not going to survive a catestrophic event on Mars. This isn't even practical in 20 lifetimes. You'd be better off investing in the Death Star. To pretend to actually care about climate change in the next 50 years, but then swallow a Martian Noah's Ark doesn't make any sense.
99.9% of us aren't going to end up on the arc even in the best scenario.
Mars on its best day will never be like Earth on it's worst.

SpaceX is the equivalent of a granola eating Prius owner scolding everyone for driving SUV's but races top fuel dragsters on the weekend.
No sh*t lol, thats why I said it was the big picture. What makes you think that I think it will happen in our lifetimes? Or in 20 lifetimes for that matter? It is simply a long term goal for the human race if we want to say, outperform the dinosaurs on species existence time.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:13 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ok. But ultimately, we have decided the health and safety of people matter more than engine parts. Would you support its placement on newer mowers moving forward and NOT retrofitting old mowers?

As far as ethanol in the fuel :
List: E10 Engine Damage & Performance Issues.
I will look at this but for some reason it will not open on my ipad and I am stuck at the hospital hanging out with a sleeping relative. This is the second time I have heard people talk about ethanol issue online but have not heard anything in person.

Just from the link name it appears that it can damage engines. I apologize for not being able to read the link but was wondering if you know if that is limited to just older engines or all engines?[/quote]

I worked at a marina years ago and saw many issues brought on by ethanol. At the least
it causes a poor running engine. The worst, blown head gaskets or holes in pistons. Ethanol
absorbs moisture, this reduces the octane, and given enough time it reduces it enough to cause
detonation in the engine which eventually destroys it. Ethanol is also corrosive to o rings, gaskets,
and other fuel system components. Now a lot of places offer recreational fuel that is ethanol free.
I try to run this in my boats, snowmobiles, Side x Side and ATV 's.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Pretty impressive that companies like Toyota and Mercedes looked to his company for this new technology.
It's not really new, it's a battery and electric drivetrain. Tesla was simply a supplier for compliance vehicles as they were the lowest bidder, but now they're not.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
It's not really new, it's a battery and electric drivetrain. Tesla was simply a supplier for compliance vehicles as they were the lowest bidder, but now they're not.
That's not what the article states.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:33 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Elon Musk proved that all you need is a few billion dollars from the government and you can tinker away in your garage. I'm not sure what you think he helped further, btw. The guy isn't even profitable. In other words, he's a loser.
He's not profitable, here is the usual fake news. I bet you wish you bought stock in Tesla when it was $50 2 years ago.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He's not profitable, here is the usual fake news. I bet you wish you bought stock in Tesla when it was $50 2 years ago.
I bet you're glad you didn't buy stock in Tesla for $280 a year ago.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I don't recall currently, that's why I "disclaimered" it with IIRC. On mobile right now so not too keen on hunting it down atm, but I bet it would be googlable.
I saw that, I was just a little hopeful.

I hate when you can remember the paper but the details. Sometimes I can even remember the graphs, and word for word chunks and then totally blank on the stuff that would actually let me find it. Drives me nuts.

But thanks anyway, I will google.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

I worked at a marina years ago and saw many issues brought on by ethanol. At the least
it causes a poor running engine. The worst, blown head gaskets or holes in pistons. Ethanol
absorbs moisture, this reduces the octane, and given enough time it reduces it enough to cause
detonation in the engine which eventually destroys it. Ethanol is also corrosive to o rings, gaskets,
and other fuel system components. Now a lot of places offer recreational fuel that is ethanol free.
I try to run this in my boats, snowmobiles, Side x Side and ATV 's.
Thanks!

I had not heard of that, and it hasn't caused issues in my car. Could it be regional? Maybe worse or better in certain climates?

I will have to ask our captain about our research vessel. It is diesel, and somewhat ancient (34 yrs! not bad for steel hull right?)but the engines have always (knock wood) been pretty solid. I would be embarassed to tell you how fast it does not go. But suffice to say, a trip from one end of NJ to the other is 13+hrs.

Oh and in your experience does it matter how high the octane is? or is it corrosive at all levels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies