Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 09:11 PM

103 posts, read 33,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Mmmm.... no offense, but were you sick the day they taught the Constitution in law school? You're seriously OK with police officers killing an occasional suspect because the prisons are too full? You really want to live in an America where the police are encouraged to beat suspects on the way to jail badly enough that some of them die?

You have to be joking. Please tell me you don't practice criminal law. I'm just shocked to read this from an attorney.
lol i mean criminals in usa know more about law these days then police or judges. i mean they do things that know it will not get them any reprocutions so they keep doing same thing just sometimes if they would get a baton over their back they would stop because believe it or not since middle ages force always wore and will be deterent to people who want to use force agaist what they think is weak person or easy to controll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 09:05 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzedmraz View Post
lol i mean criminals in usa know more about law these days then police or judges. i mean they do things that know it will not get them any reprocutions so they keep doing same thing just sometimes if they would get a baton over their back they would stop because believe it or not since middle ages force always wore and will be deterent to people who want to use force agaist what they think is weak person or easy to controll
I think I agree.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Years ago, when a car I was riding in was pulled over by police, they suspected drugs were in the car...they intimidated and threatened the driver into allowing them to search...the driver stood their ground though and refused...

The scariest part about this incident was police making fun of a citizen for exercising a right (permission to search the car), and the fact police ASSUMED guilt right off the bat!!!

Old 12-02-2021, 09:40 AM

6,658 posts, read 2,966,569 times
I am a mister do right and have no fear of police because I don't plan on doing anything to get their attention.

But I don't believe they know the suspect's history when first approaching them to make any kind of judgment call.

And they Are Human. They're not always right. So I'd rather not encourage them to start whacking people with batons,..lol. It could be me one day.

Maybe After the Hearing and Judge finger wagging, if found guilty, they can sorta line the hallways and make the perp run through a hail of batons.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I am a mister do right and have no fear of police because I don't plan on doing anything to get their attention.

But I don't believe they know the suspect's history when first approaching them to make any kind of judgment call.

And they Are Human. They're not always right. So I'd rather not encourage them to start whacking people with batons,..lol. It could be me one day.

Maybe After the Hearing and Judge finger wagging, if found guilty, they can sorta line the hallways and make the perp run through a hail of batons.
Under my idea the "rough and tumble" would take the place of arrest.

Old 12-02-2021, 10:02 AM

5,979 posts, read 2,234,421 times
Are you Derek Chauvin's defense attorney?

Old 12-02-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Are you Derek Chauvin's defense attorney?
No. And that was hardly just "rough and tumble." Chauvin and Floyd had an unrelated commercial dispute that could not possibly be resolved in a legal manner.

Old 12-02-2021, 10:23 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 13 hours ago)

27,161 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post
This attitude of protecting the "rights" of those who live outside the rules of society, those who have no issue with causing injury or death to innocent people, those who don't care at all about the rights of others, is causing a rapid increase in violent crime and causing many, many people to live in fear. Obviously you don't give a damn about the increasing numbers of victims or those who's lives are impacted by fear.

It's really very simple. Live and act in a civil manner and you have the protections of a civil society. Live and act like a violent criminal and you should expect to be treated like a violent criminal without the protections of a civil society.

As for not having prison space, don't put non violent drug users in prison and suddenly there will be empty cells everywhere.
It's not just about protecting rights, it's also about police powers.

The police must be accountable for their actions, and must operate within the law.

If the police themselves don't uphold laws then they become no better than the criminals, and equally as frightening.

In terms of prison, it should be humane, rather than inhumane.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:12 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 13 hours ago)

27,161 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Nice words, but what if the people involved want no part of being humane themselves or part of any "decent society." If someone acts feral why shouldn't they be treated in the manner they act. You get what you give.
If a country mistreats it's prisoners then it is merely a reflection of that nation itself, which is something Churchill pointed out as Home Secretary back in 1910.

As for the police, by allowing violence and corruption you make them no better than the criminals, and in societies where the police are unaccountable people are often more frightened of the police than the criminal fraternity.

You let the police administer their own justice, and hold them above the law, then you are on a very slippery slope.

The police should always adhere to the Nine Peelian Principles of Policing.

Peelian Principles - The nine principles of policing - Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Churchill

“We must not forget that when every material improvement has been effected in prisons, when the temperature has been rightly adjusted, when the proper food to maintain health and strength has been given, when the doctors, chaplains and prison visitors have come and gone, the convict stands deprived of everything that a free man calls life. We must not forget that all these improvements, which are sometimes salves to our consciences, do not change that position.

The mood and temper of the public in regard to the treatment of crime and criminals is one of the most unfailing tests of the civilisation of any country. A calm and dispassionate recognition of the rights of the accused against the state and even of convicted criminals against the state, a constant heart-searching by all charged with the duty of punishment, a desire and eagerness to rehabilitate in the world of industry of all those who have paid their dues in the hard coinage of punishment, tireless efforts towards the discovery of curative and regenerating processes and an unfaltering faith that there is a treasure, if only you can find it in the heart of every person – these are the symbols which in the treatment of crime and criminals mark and measure the stored up strength of a nation, and are the sign and proof of the living virtue in it.”

Winston Churchill

House of Commons speech, given as Home Secretary, July 20, 1910

Churchill on treatment of crime and criminals (1910). A man ahead of his time?

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-02-2021 at 11:23 AM..

Old 12-02-2021, 12:24 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The police must treat all suspects with respect, there is a presumption of innocence until proved guilty before a Court of Law and it is not for the police or others to take the law in to their own hands. I also wouldn't call killing someone rough and tumble.

Even those convicted should be treated humanely in any decent society.
Agreed but it's a pretty tough pill to swallow when we have to treat some of these convicted individuals humanely. Like school rampage shooters, pedophiles, people that kidnap and torture others for weeks or months....individuals like these should be put down like a sick animal as quickly as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies