Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 04:43 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times

Advertisements

I moved this discussion from Man punched Home Depot cashier in the face to here since my views are likely to be outside the noncontroversial scope of Current Events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Guy sounds like a scumbag animal. It would be nice if some dude who is 6' 7" and 350 pounds of pure muscle and can bench press 450 pounds, It would be nice if some guy like that could punch this clown in the face, but do it about 8 times. Put his ass in critical condition if not kill the SOB.

These kinds of stories infuriate me to no end.
This point of view is unpopular among my fellow lawyers but I agree. I have no problem with the police getting more than a little be rough during the arrest. Maybe in the struggle the guy csan be badly beaten or killed. I'm sorry, when someone does something so egregious there should be a real penalty, not just some stern-sounding judge doing the finger-wag and letting the guy off with time served. And the fact is we don't have the resources for lengthy imprisonment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 07:45 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
Mmmm.... no offense, but were you sick the day they taught the Constitution in law school? You're seriously OK with police officers killing an occasional suspect because the prisons are too full? You really want to live in an America where the police are encouraged to beat suspects on the way to jail badly enough that some of them die?

You have to be joking. Please tell me you don't practice criminal law. I'm just shocked to read this from an attorney.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Mmmm.... no offense, but were you sick the day they taught the Constitution in law school? You're seriously OK with police officers killing an occasional suspect because the prisons are too full? You really want to live in an America where the police are encouraged to beat suspects on the way to jail badly enough that some of them die?

You have to be joking. Please tell me you don't practice criminal law. I'm just shocked to read this from an attorney.
Maybe I overstated the case a bit. But back in the 1950's and before the cops would often whack the "bad guys" around a bit, and they went home, maybe a bit black and blue, but with lessons learned. It worked.

I don't think police should willy-nilly kill people. But if someone, while unarmed, appears ready to overpower a police officer all bets should be off. Or if caught in the act doing what this guy was doing, to wit, putting a Home Depot employee who did nothing wrong but come to work into a hospital in critical condition.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 23 days ago)

27,636 posts, read 16,118,635 times
Arrested 19 times since paroled, good chance this guy shouldn't have been on the streets to begin with.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Arrested 19 times since paroled, good chance this guy shouldn't have been on the streets to begin with.
Maybe some people on the board would enjoy taking him to lunch.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:49 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
The police must treat all suspects with respect, there is a presumption of innocence until proved guilty before a Court of Law and it is not for the police or others to take the law in to their own hands. I also wouldn't call killing someone rough and tumble.

Even those convicted should be treated humanely in any decent society.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The police must treat all suspects with respect, there is a presumption of innocence until proved guilty before a Court of Law and it is not for the police or others to take the law in to their own hands. I also wouldn't call killing someone rough and tumble.

Even those convicted should be treated humanely in any decent society.
Nice words, but what if the people involved want no part of being humane themselves or part of any "decent society." If someone acts feral why shouldn't they be treated in the manner they act. You get what you give.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:04 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,035,253 times
worked at ELdepot part time in the past- there are many contractors- etc who come in -DRUNK -HIGH and just a hot mess-- we called one store the -slice an dice- one night cashiers were robbed 3 times - at knife/gun point --and the poor workers they send out to defend the store- only had those little box cutters-
we said they need machetes handed out for their store team - nothing new for the depot clientele

Old 12-18-2016, 12:15 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This point of view is unpopular among my fellow lawyers but I agree. I have no problem with the police getting more than a little be rough during the arrest. Maybe in the struggle the guy csan be badly beaten or killed. I'm sorry, when someone does something so egregious there should be a real penalty, not just some stern-sounding judge doing the finger-wag and letting the guy off with time served. And the fact is we don't have the resources for lengthy imprisonment.
You did your law program at Trump U, didn't you?

Old 12-18-2016, 12:16 PM

649 posts, read 316,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
That's one of my biggest problems with the system . Almost every time someone does something heinous we find out they have an arrest record as long as your arm & have been slapped on the wrist & let back out numerous times .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies