Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2016, 08:40 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times

Advertisements

One of the more interesting things to look at is how people look at things when they put their money where their mouth is.

Some folks made a absolute killing on the Trump election. So remember...odds are just that. During the election betting people gave him a 1 in 10 chance, which was emotion talking.

You can buy yes votes on Trump being impeached within 100 days of Jan 20th for $.07. No for $.94 at the moment. Payout is $1. (As it could be considered gambling I am not going to link it as I am unsure of the rules here on that). What are the actual odds? The important part in my mind is the 100 days.

I think the Cabinet bets are more interesting, because to be honest I think people may have assumptions about Trumps willingness to fire people before they are confirmed, and the cabinet members being passed that are based on emotion not logic.

LOL. Tillerson making it to secretary of state? $.77 for yes. Not looking good for him. With no votes costing $.24 that might be interesting to me. A no vote on Bolten for it costs $.99. If it was just money numbers that is a great bet, but the opportunity cost of taking it outweighs it being worthwhile. Basically if it takes over a year to win the bet, its not worth betting unless you can make more then inflation.

Now if you are a true believer in Trump and his promises.....you can make quite a bit. For example, will Trumps favorable rate be over 45% by the end of this month? yes costs $.37.

BTW Trumps one year impact on the national debt? Most people betting say he will increase it by more then 1.5 Trillion. That would quite literally blow Obama's deficits out of the water.

Obama by year:
Quote:
2008: $459 billion
2009: $1.41 trillion
2010: $1.29 trillion
2011: $1.30 trillion
2012: $1.09 trillion
2013: $680 billion
2014: $485 billion
2015: $438 billion
: $587 billion
So doubling the deficit in his first year alone. Ouch.

Next fun one? Will China be labeled a currency manipulator by June 30th? This ones split. $.44 to buy a yes vote-if you TRULY believe in Trump this is easy money folks! He promised! Again, a word of warning. China is having some issues, and their currency is doing odd things compared to ours. By June 30th lots of things may change. This one to me is more of a gamble in some ways.

ACA subsidy repeal? $.59 if you believe it will happen by the end of 2017. Be careful with this one though, these things take time to do right. If they repeal it quickly, then it will be clear that they have ZERO idea what they are doing. If this is done, I expect it to take time.

Individual mandate repeal by the end of 2017? $.68 for yes. I think I might buy some no votes on this one. Yes I think the individual mandate will go away, but no because I think it will take them longer. I would not risk much here though.

Palin in the cabinet on March 31st? No costs $.90. Low reward there, but I think the odds are closer to 99%. Trump may like her personally, but her behavior lately is erratic enough that there is no way she survives a confirmation hearing. Honestly I think she has something medically wrong, and if I heard she was getting some sort of treatment I would revise my betting accordingly. (I used to be really down on Palin, but taking the time to go back a bit before her VP pick she used to be a LOT more together.

Lots of interesting ones on if Obama will pardon or commute folks.

Bergdahl for example, $.73 for a "no". Definately going to grab some of that. I can't see Obama pardoning a military soldier who did in fact do wrong things. Obamas viewpoints on that are pretty well known, a pardon for Berghdahl would amaze me.

Manning though.....tougher call. If he has followed some of the issues there, or discussed it with a Manning supporter. $.09 for a yes vote. I think that might be worthwhile-but not by much. A pardon absolutely won't happen, but I could see a commutation. See this ones fun. A commutation has very low odds I think. Maybe 20%. Which means that up to about $.15 might be worthwhile.

If a mod posts here or messaging me saying its OK, I will link to it, and post what I buy here after I do so, its not a company running this, but rather a university in Auckland thats partnered with US colleges. A politico article discusses it passing all of the regulatory hurdles and Commodity futures trading which oversees such exchanges. The article states it is legal, and NOT gambling.

Last edited by greywar; 12-18-2016 at 09:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 09:52 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
I don't vote but I do know I've made some serious cash in the market since Election Day.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:10 PM

575 posts, read 299,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don't vote but I do know I've made some serious cash in the market since Election Day.
Be careful. In August Trump said "Folks, the stock market is just one giant bubble"

Old 12-18-2016, 10:13 PM

575 posts, read 299,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
One of the more interesting things to look at is how people look at things when they put their money where their mouth is.

Some folks made a absolute killing on the Trump election. So remember...odds are just that. During the election betting people gave him a 1 in 10 chance, which was emotion talking.

You can buy yes votes on Trump being impeached within 100 days of Jan 20th for $.07. No for $.94 at the moment. Payout is $1. (As it could be considered gambling I am not going to link it as I am unsure of the rules here on that). What are the actual odds? The important part in my mind is the 100 days.

I think the Cabinet bets are more interesting, because to be honest I think people may have assumptions about Trumps willingness to fire people before they are confirmed, and the cabinet members being passed that are based on emotion not logic.

LOL. Tillerson making it to secretary of state? $.77 for yes. Not looking good for him. With no votes costing $.24 that might be interesting to me. A no vote on Bolten for it costs $.99. If it was just money numbers that is a great bet, but the opportunity cost of taking it outweighs it being worthwhile. Basically if it takes over a year to win the bet, its not worth betting unless you can make more then inflation.

Now if you are a true believer in Trump and his promises.....you can make quite a bit. For example, will Trumps favorable rate be over 45% by the end of this month? yes costs $.37.

BTW Trumps one year impact on the national debt? Most people betting say he will increase it by more then 1.5 Trillion. That would quite literally blow Obama's deficits out of the water.

Obama by year:
So doubling the deficit in his first year alone. Ouch.

Next fun one? Will China be labeled a currency manipulator by June 30th? This ones split. $.44 to buy a yes vote-if you TRULY believe in Trump this is easy money folks! He promised! Again, a word of warning. China is having some issues, and their currency is doing odd things compared to ours. By June 30th lots of things may change. This one to me is more of a gamble in some ways.

ACA subsidy repeal? $.59 if you believe it will happen by the end of 2017. Be careful with this one though, these things take time to do right. If they repeal it quickly, then it will be clear that they have ZERO idea what they are doing. If this is done, I expect it to take time.

Individual mandate repeal by the end of 2017? $.68 for yes. I think I might buy some no votes on this one. Yes I think the individual mandate will go away, but no because I think it will take them longer. I would not risk much here though.

Palin in the cabinet on March 31st? No costs $.90. Low reward there, but I think the odds are closer to 99%. Trump may like her personally, but her behavior lately is erratic enough that there is no way she survives a confirmation hearing. Honestly I think she has something medically wrong, and if I heard she was getting some sort of treatment I would revise my betting accordingly. (I used to be really down on Palin, but taking the time to go back a bit before her VP pick she used to be a LOT more together.

Lots of interesting ones on if Obama will pardon or commute folks.

Bergdahl for example, $.73 for a "no". Definately going to grab some of that. I can't see Obama pardoning a military soldier who did in fact do wrong things. Obamas viewpoints on that are pretty well known, a pardon for Berghdahl would amaze me.

Manning though.....tougher call. If he has followed some of the issues there, or discussed it with a Manning supporter. $.09 for a yes vote. I think that might be worthwhile-but not by much. A pardon absolutely won't happen, but I could see a commutation. See this ones fun. A commutation has very low odds I think. Maybe 20%. Which means that up to about $.15 might be worthwhile.

If a mod posts here or messaging me saying its OK, I will link to it, and post what I buy here after I do so, its not a company running this, but rather a university in Auckland thats partnered with US colleges. A politico article discusses it passing all of the regulatory hurdles and Commodity futures trading which oversees such exchanges. The article states it is legal, and NOT gambling.

Sounds like fun. And unlike Football, I can tell my wife its NOT gambling

Edit: Can I bet on how many pages "Seriously, Why did you vote for Trump" will go?

Old 12-19-2016, 04:12 AM

Bought 5 shares saying that the electoral college will vote somewhere in the 280-290 range. They were .09 each, so I might lose that, but the odds seem good.

bought 10 shares saying that at least one faithless voter will occur-at $.87 each seemed worth it.

5 shares saying that obama wont pardon Berghdahl. $.75 each. Really? Who thinks Obama will pardon him?

10 shares for manning getting a pardon or commute at $.09 each. Why the flip flop? Commute has a 20% chance I think. So at $,09 each...meh.

Will Obama pardon Clinton. 1 share saying no at $.83. Low benefit but meh.

As a kind of odd one. Will park resign as S Koreas president in 2016. $.13 each, 10 shares. I just can't see that one not resolving. A guess though. shrug.

Will sarah palin be a cabinet member by march, 2016? 5 shares saying no at $.90 each.

10 shares saying Trump gets impeached in the first 100 days at %.07 each. Shrug. Low probability, high reward.

Will Trump reach a 45% favorability rating on Dec 31st. 10 shares saying no, at $.63 each. Just don't see his favorability going up by that much. Looked like easy money. Probably means im wrong. LOl.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:15 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Will Trump reach a 45% favorability rating on Dec 31st. 10 shares saying no, at $.63 each. Just don't see his favorability going up by that much. Looked like easy money. Probably means im wrong. LOl.
It hit 46% in Nov. LOL

Old 12-19-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It hit 46% in Nov. LOL
Actually it didnt. It uses the rcp average. I don't think he has ever hit 45%, and I don't expect that to change.

Looks like the dems will come through for me on the faithless elector bet though. Lol. One of them just announced he was voting sanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies