Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:04 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I mean it becomes clear that just because someone is a refugee or fleeing oppression does not automagically make their culture change, and when the culture is incompatible with the culture in the countries they are fleeing to you get problems like this.

Personally, I would like to see a value added immigration policy where we are expediting immigration for high skilled people (producers, creators, researchers) and denying it all together for people who do not have any kind of "value added" skill sets. Importing large numbers of uneducated people from much more highly repressive cultures is not a recipe for success.
Brilliant. Seems like it should be a no-brainer, but time and time again we see that many people just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 11:08 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Hard to watch the Germans put up with Merkel, the lady has blood on her hands.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:13 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Horrific. I can't see how the people in Europe wouldn't be completely fed up by now. Or are some still blinded by "globalism" and "diversity"? What will it take for them to fight back?

Wake up, Europe. Your holier than thou "we need to help" spiel only has a place in policy when your people aren't being murdered at Christmas markets and concerts and raped at public pools by crazed refugees.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
The Pakistani refugee thought to be responsible for driving the truck has been cleared and released.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/20/europe...-market-truck/

Old 12-20-2016, 11:18 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
well, It looks like this is their new "normal".

Old 12-20-2016, 11:42 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
I mean it becomes clear that just because someone is a refugee or fleeing oppression does not automagically make their culture change, and when the culture is incompatible with the culture in the countries they are fleeing to you get problems like this.
Agreed so far.

Quote:
Personally, I would like to see a value added immigration policy where we are expediting immigration for high skilled people (producers, creators, researchers) and denying it all together for people who do not have any kind of "value added" skill sets. Importing large numbers of uneducated people from much more highly repressive cultures is not a recipe for success.
Here we disagree. My maternal grandmother's father left Kiev, Ukraine in or about 1896 after rejecting a forced extension of his service in the Czar's army. De bacaame a shoe repairman in Yonkers, New York. His daughter became a housewife, whose husband was of similarly humble origins, but became a dentist. My mother graduated Syracuse University *** laude, and after a spell as a housewife became an accomplished real estate broker. My paternal grandfather's parents were of humble origin, coming from what is now Slovakia/Hungary border. My paternal grandfather became a well-regarded architect in the Five Towns of Long Island. My father was an interior architect. I am an attorney.

The issue is cultural fit and eagerness to succeed.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:45 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Pakistani refugee thought to be responsible for driving the truck has been cleared and released.

Berlin Christmas market: Police release man from custody - CNN.com
I wonder if this is political or real clearance. Remember ths: Sexual Emergency - Rapist Who Couldn't Control Himself has Conviction Overturned? I hope this is not a similar refusal of authorities to do their jobs.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:51 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Here we disagree. My maternal grandmother's father left Kiev, Ukraine in or about 1896 after rejecting a forced extension of his service in the Czar's army. De bacaame a shoe repairman in Yonkers, New York. His daughter became a housewife, whose husband was of similarly humble origins, but became a dentist. My mother graduated Syracuse University *** laude, and after a spell as a housewife became an accomplished real estate broker. My paternal grandfather's parents were of humble origin, coming from what is now Slovakia/Hungary border. My paternal grandfather became a well-regarded architect in the Five Towns of Long Island. My father was an interior architect. I am an attorney.
So the question becomes: Do you think your anecdote is the exception or the norm for uneducated immigrants?

Old 12-20-2016, 11:59 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think if's more Merkel and her ilk wanting o be so compassionate than the quest for cheap labor. Unlike Turkish immigration of the 1960's and 1970's no one thinks these people are going to work any time soon.

I also think the dance here was that the liberals expected that the United States and Britain would ultimately take many of the 1,000,000 migrants since Germany clearly doesn't have the capacity to absorb that many. That calculus when awry on the U.S. election and to a lesser extent Brexit. The Marshall Plan and other American largess gave rise to that hope.

See quote just below, where the American and British people didn't cooperate.
I disagree. If the plan was only to help these people there could have been temporary camps set up in Turkey or another close by nation. When the war in Syria ended, the UN could step in and with help from these refugees rebuild Syria and hopefully put in place a more stable government. A sort of Marshall plan for that region. But that would not help Germany's population or labor problems. So IMHO its not primarily being done just to help these people.

What is the plan? Syria is just going to be a nearly empty country?

Old 12-20-2016, 11:59 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times
Quote:
So the question becomes: Do you think your anecdote is the exception or the norm for uneducated immigrants?
Didn't Trump's family come here as uneducated immigrants?
I'm not clear on his background .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies