Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 03:43 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
So the question becomes: Do you think your anecdote is the exception or the norm for uneducated immigrants?
In those days it was the norm and probably still is for groups that are not at war with us. Indeed my ancestors and people like then probably kissed the ground when they disembarked from ships after passing the Statue of Liberty. I don't see most of these people as being grateful. Indeed they're hateful.

One of the things I would recommend is more monitoring of social media for incitement. Incitement is not protected by the First Amendment. If Facebook, Twitter, major Internet carriers such as Yahoo and Microsoft and other reputably companies were in the crosshairs on this issue there would be many fewer people accessing hate sites and violence sites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The whole idea of immigration was completely different then. Our population was not as large, we were still developing cities and other areas. We had space and we had jobs. Now there is such a thing as an "illegal immigrant" and we have whole processes for anyone who wants to come here and stay for a length of time or become a citizen. One cannot compare the age of Trump's family's immigration to the US (and many others' - like my own) to modern immigration.
A more important difference was the lack of a social safety net. if you came to the U.S. back then you had to find work, go to work immediately and learn English. And the work wsa not paradisaical. Think the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire in 1914. But their descendants wove themselves into the fabric and succeeded. The way my ancestors did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
More and more are getting fed up every day. This is provoking an extreme shift to the right in many countries. Poland just had a major rightward shift in their parliamentary elections last year, and that was partly a reaction to the immigration crisis. It's taking a while, but people are standing up on their hind legs more and more
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, It looks like this is their new "normal".
Sadly, it is. There's no getting rid of them once the infestation is out of control, and we're way beyond that point.
Remember most of Europe has no equivalent of an absolute First Amendment. The governments can and maybe will ban the practice of Islam. Not that I favor it but it could happen. And they can and maybe will discriminate. And people may take matters into their own hands.

Europe is not America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
All I'm saying is that there are still a lot of people in the world who feel more comfortable with a leader who can exercise at least a certain measure of control over his emotions, a certain degree of maturity and stability. I know that in the Trump era, being vulgar and outrageous is the new cool, but it's not very confidence-inspiring in a world leader. Anything that needs to be said can be said in a wide number of ways, and the way you choose to say it is part of the message. The message Trump keeps sending with those stupid tweets is that he's got the political instincts of a game show host, and the self-control of a 13-year old girl.

But, hey, the Trump crowd eats it up. It's all Thunderdome to those morons.
Hopefully he was play-acting to get elected. We shall see.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-20-2016 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 06:18 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
So the man they arrested was not the terrorist.

However, he is a Muslim refugee that lied about his identity, country, and has a criminal record!

I wonder how common it is for these refugees to lie about who they are, where they are from, their past, etc...

Berlin terror attack: Lorry ploughs into crowd at Christmas market killing 12 | Daily Mail Online

Old 12-20-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know, never looked into it myself either. Regardless I didn't vote for Trump if this is supposed to be some sort of "gotcha".

At some point, anyone who is not of Native American descent was an immigrant. However we did not have the population saturation or the work shortage or terrorism problems at that point in time that we do now. We needed the immigrants because we needed the manpower. Terrorism was not as effective a strategy at that point in time either because it relies on rapid dissemination of news to be truly effective. Population density has to play some role in the restrictiveness of immigration policy, in addition to the current geopolitical state of the world.
#1 If you believe in evolution even Native Americans were immigrants if you go back far enough.

#2 I don't see why past immigration standards should set future immigration standards.

#3 With automation potentially becoming a reality and reducing low skill jobs, I don't understand why our current immigration policy favors low skill workers.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:32 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Read the rest of the post.... in which I basically say exactly what you just said.

It is a fact that people who are not descended from Native Americans that live in America at one point in time had their ancestors immigrate here, not sure why I would *not* believe that since it is true.
Some Americans' ancestors were mostly British subjects/citizens before departing to one of the British colonies or subjects of one of the smaller Dutch, French or Spanish colonies that Britain absorbed so were not really immigrants and were colonist or pioneers. At some point everyone migrated here even the Indians, but not all migrants and migration eras are equivalent. Certainly post 1960's mass and globalized immigration is a whole other ball of wax.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:38 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,002 times
Germany is on a path of demographic suicide.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Germany is on a path of demographic suicide.
So is the US and we're further along.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
So the man they arrested was not the terrorist. However, he is a Muslim refugee that lied about his identity, country, and has a criminal record!
He was a Pakistani immigrant. Not sure if Pakistanis are classified as 'refugees'. It is safe to assume he was muslim, since most people from there are muslims. Maybe he was gay, which might help get the 'refugee' status.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:57 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times
Quote:
I don't know, never looked into it myself either. Regardless I didn't vote for Trump if this is supposed to be some sort of "gotcha".

At some point, anyone who is not of Native American descent was an immigrant. However we did not have the population saturation or the work shortage or terrorism problems at that point in time that we do now. We needed the immigrants because we needed the manpower. Terrorism was not as effective a strategy at that point in time either because it relies on rapid dissemination of news to be truly effective. Population density has to play some role in the restrictiveness of immigration policy, in addition to the current geopolitical state of the world.
It was not a "gothcha" but a response to whether uneducated immigrants
could come here poor and then achieve the "american" dream of becoming rich which
I think is exactly what Trump's family did.
It was a counter argument to how certain right wingers think immigrants only come to mooch
off the government when in fact many immigrants ,past and present , will
realize the dream.
I do agree that terrorism was not a problem or even on the horizon back then but
America is not saturated yet. Man power is still
needed in the agricultural sector at least, building and construction is another field.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He was a Pakistani immigrant. Not sure if Pakistanis are classified as 'refugees'. It is safe to assume he was muslim, since most people from there are muslims. Maybe he was gay, which might help get the 'refugee' status.
Either way they let him go because he had an alibi, and now they are looking for someone from Tunis.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He was an Asylum Seeker from Pakistan, which by definition would make him a refugee. He was a Muslim refugee.

Yes, he has an alibi, so now they are focusing in on a different Muslim refugee.

Muslim refugees have been a real cultural blessing to Germany. I wonder if hundreds will get sexually attacked this New Years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies