Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:10 AM

1,378 posts, read 737,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Someone emailed this to me today. **** MTV and the idiots. I'm tired of this anti-white male crap from liberal *******s. As Jimmyp25 said, they can "shove it".
Hey, we agree on something! I am tired of white people saying stuff about hispanics, all this anti hispanic crap too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Christ, are you guys thin-skinned. If you had to deal with the kind of racism POC face, you guys would be suicide bombers.
yeah god help them, as a minority, I hear way worse than this. They wouldn't be able to hack it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
You're simultaneously unemployed, and watching Teen Mom marathons? I'm shocked!
Loved the fight between Amber and Farrah! haha.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:11 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
I do not believe this is a real phenomenon. I think white privilege is so pervasive that equality is seen as a zero-sum game. White men feel that in order for others to have equal opportunity in this country that something must be taken from them. In reality, we're looking to correct the ills of centuries of oppression and establish a true meritocracy. White men have historically not had to compete with women and people of color, on a level playing field, and to them, the notion might feel like oppression.
White males ARE discriminated against in favor of non-whites and women, and have been for a long time.

So your claim that white men "have historically not had to compete with women and people of color" is false.

Last edited by dechatelet; 12-21-2016 at 07:26 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 07:12 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
I can agree with this. The video actually makes this distinction at the end. I really appreciate your willingness to engage in an open-minded discussion.
Thank you. I appreciate the fact that we can carry on a civilized conversation and I enjoyed it. Thank you.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:17 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

In term of white privilege. My nephew is a blonde boy and I will be lying if I say white blonde privilege doesn't exist. Many white men understand there is white privilege, they don't deny it. So you cannot lump all of them together. Not every white male thinks or behaves the same.
Are we really going into subset hair color privilege now? Sorry, but no.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:19 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Are we really going into subset hair color privilege now? Sorry, but no.
Sheesh, seriously? I posted so many posts in this thread, and that is what you decided to point out. Sorry, but no. lol

Old 12-21-2016, 07:25 AM

There is no white privilege.
And there is no male privilege.

The only "privilege" that exists is female privilege and people of color privilege.

When it comes to hiring, promotion and government contracting, females and people of color are what is wanted, not white males.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:29 AM

1,378 posts, read 737,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Dude, I don't watch MTV . I was being sarcastic . I watched MTV about 15 years ago . To answer your question. The title itself "2017 resolutions for white guys" is racist ... hmm lets imagine some company saying "2017 resolutions for African or even Latino guys" then have a bunch of white guys telling people how to act for their New Years resolution . Do you see the hypocrisy in that ?
I would love it actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
... 'cause racism isn't a bad thing in general. It's only bad when it targets people I care about. Otherwise who cares, right? Don't bother me with appeals to universal morality.
And people like you are whats wrong with the world. Let's just take out racism and put anything else there and it just sounds wrong. Stealing..well, I only care, only if they steal from people i care about..yep, still sounds wrong..get some empathy for christmas, yo.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:32 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
There is no white privilege.
And there is no male privilege.

The only "privilege" that exists is female privilege and people of color privilege.

When it comes to hiring, promotion and government contracting, females and people of color are what is wanted, not white males.
If you wanted to argue the extent to which you do or don't benefit from privilege, that might be a discussion worth having, but to deny that there is a certain level inherent with being a white man in America, you aren't worth arguing with.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
If you wanted to argue the extent to which you do or don't benefit from privilege, that might be a discussion worth having, but to deny that there is a certain level inherent with being a white man in America, you aren't worth arguing with.
The only "privilege" white males in general have derives from the fact that they created most of what we call "civilization."

That is earned privilege.

If you want privilege, it's something you need to earn.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:35 AM

50,287 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
This isn't 1740.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies