Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It is mind boggling that asylum seekers are traveling back and forward like they are going on vacation to the country where they feared for their life according to the reason why they applied for asylum.

What a scam and why are governments not hold responsible for the bad vetting that is costing life's of innocent people.
It's all about political correctness, they welcome in as many Sunni Muslims into their country as possible, because the don't want the world to view them as bad people.

There is a reason why some countries have a long history of being dysfunctional violent places. The cultures, religion and their way of life are contrary to a peaceful coexistence. Importing these dysfunctional people will only bring their violence, and self destructive nature into your home.

Rats, are rats. Obama thinks if we only bring the rats from Syria or Somalia, etc... into the USA, they won't behave like rats anymore. As if by magic, Sunni Muslims will cross onto US soil, and suddenly they will respect women, live in harmony with Jews and Christians, and will not be homophobes anymore. All that sharia nonsense will be forgotten, and they will cast out any radical Muslims that preach hate or cause disharmony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 08:02 AM

19,631 posts, read 12,222,208 times
I read a story about a refugee family who were considered to be at risk and put at the top of the list. They were offered first to go to Europe and REJECTED it, and still stayed at the top of the list. When they got offered the US, they took it and still are complaining about the process here. I had no idea they got to pick and choose and don't think they were so bad off if they were willing to wait around for the best deal.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:19 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Somehow I don't think Albert Einstein, Fritz Lang and Peter Lorre were going back to the Germany they fled.
They may not have, but there are many cases of people who sought asylum in Western Europe during the Stalinist purges who went back for various reasons. Some were homesick and convinced themselves that the danger was not as great as they'd thought when they initially fled, or that things were changing for the better. Some had left family behind and felt morally and emotionally obligated to return to try to help them. Some were tricked. Many of the returnees aced oppression or death.

Returns to Nazi Germany and Austria also happened, even during the height of Hitler's reign. It's been quite a while since I've read Woman in Gold (the true story of the Bloch-Bauer family in Vienna), but as I recall members of her family and circle fled Nazi-occupied Vienna and then returned to help other family members get out.

It happens. It doesn't mean the people who return weren't in need of a safe place or weren't deserving of it. The pull of home and family can be so much stronger than our fear of death.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:28 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
They may not have, but there are many cases of people who sought asylum in Western Europe during the Stalinist purges who went back for various reasons. Some were homesick and convinced themselves that the danger was not as great as they'd thought when they initially fled, or that things were changing for the better. Some had left family behind and felt morally and emotionally obligated to return to try to help them. Some were tricked. Many of the returnees aced oppression or death.

Returns to Nazi Germany and Austria also happened, even during the height of Hitler's reign. It's been quite a while since I've read Woman in Gold (the true story of the Bloch-Bauer family in Vienna), but as I recall members of her family and circle fled Nazi-occupied Vienna and then returned to help other family members get out.

It happens. It doesn't mean the people who return weren't in need of a safe place or weren't deserving of it. The pull of home and family can be so much stronger than our fear of death.
Then I reckon fleeing is often a premature decision.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:44 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Then I reckon fleeing is often a premature decision.
And how does a person know when the right time is? There were estimated to be 9.5 Jews in Europe in the 1930's. 6 million of them died during the holocaust. If there were some sort of magic ball they could have used to know when they would be caught, I'm sure those 6 million people would have fled and saved themselves and their loved ones. Refugees have always had to depend on their best guest of when it is time to flee. They won't always be right.

Besides, I don't think that you can make the case that the people I talked about fled prematurely. In both cases, the purges were already going on. People were dying, and in great numbers. It isn't a matter of having left before the danger was too great, but a matter of humans being irrational and wanting to do what we think is the right thing, even when we know the odds are against us.

Last edited by AminWi; 12-21-2016 at 09:20 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 09:17 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
It's estimated that only half of the refugees in Germany were from nations with war (Syria, Afghanistan). Many were from the Balkans, North Africa, etc.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:17 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Actually, it makes much more sense than yours.
The only one ranting is you, bud.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:01 AM

1,850 posts, read 820,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I read a story about a refugee family who were considered to be at risk and put at the top of the list. They were offered first to go to Europe and REJECTED it, and still stayed at the top of the list. When they got offered the US, they took it and still are complaining about the process here. I had no idea they got to pick and choose and don't think they were so bad off if they were willing to wait around for the best deal.
That's also true within Europe. The refugees have preferred countries and will actually move THROUGH European countries to get to the ones they want, which give the most welfare.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:13 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
And how does a person know when the right time is? There were estimated to be 9.5 Jews in Europe in the 1930's. 6 million of them died during the holocaust. If there were some sort of magic ball they could have used to know when they would be caught, I'm sure those 6 million people would have fled and saved themselves and their loved ones. Refugees have always had to depend on their best guest of when it is time to flee. They won't always be right.

Besides, I don't think that you can make the case that the people I talked about fled prematurely. In both cases, the purges were already going on. People were dying, and in great numbers. It isn't a matter of having left before the danger was too great, but a matter of humans being irrational and wanting to do what we think is the right thing, even when we know the odds are against us.

I was being facetious.

The point being if you flee a place out of fear, logic dictates you probably do not want to return there until the political climate has changed for the better. The people I mentioned did not return until Hitler was gone and Allied garrisons were running the country.

I think taking in true refugees a good deed. Sometimes it is morally imperative (i.e. Vietnamese who helped the Americans).

However, in cases such as the Boston bombers, some are adopting refugee status as a scam.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:14 AM

1,008 posts, read 487,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It's estimated that only half of the refugees in Germany were from nations with war (Syria, Afghanistan). Many were from the Balkans, North Africa, etc.
Germany has better welfare payments, so Germany was the place to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies