Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:55 AM

62,736 posts, read 28,944,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I know. Why is being fluent in more than one language EVER a negative???
It isn't, but when native English speakers are discriminated against in hiring practices in their own country for it that's the negative especially when it's to pander to illegal aliens and other Spanish speakers who know English but want to be pandered to in Spanish instead. All "immigrants" should learn English not the other way around. Should one have to know Spanish to order a damned hamburger in this country or any other public service job?

Last edited by Oldglory; 12-21-2016 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
One language for one people.

Exactly! Theodore Roosevelt pushed for unity not division with this:

Quote by Theodore Roosevelt :

Old 12-21-2016, 11:06 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,329,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You moved to Alaska? because from what I remember the area around Lancaster had many meat plants and there was a lot of Hispanic speakers living in there. Got to remember who hired them-- and will continue to do so-- I expect a good chunk of PA is Hispanic

No, we moved clear across the state. To Western Pennsylvania. No Hispanics in my community or the surrounding areas.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:08 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,931,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's because of continued illegal immigration from south of our border and too much legal immigration from the same group who expects to be catered to in Spanish even though they know English. You brag about being bi-lingual because it earns "you" money even though it's because of the above and mono-lingual English speakers get discriminated against in hiring practices.
Exactly, adapt. Times change. It's how the world works.

Other countries require their students to learn multiple languages. I was just in Mexico and there were hoards of Chinese and Japanese tourists speaking fluent Spanish. We're right next door and we're whining about possible discrimination?

Old 12-21-2016, 11:11 AM

4,793 posts, read 2,783,911 times
Default Tilting @ windmills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
We owe it to our history to save Spanish from going the way of German, Italian and Polish.

Is America losing Español?: Column

I've been thinking about how the "Hispanic wave" in the US has peaked and, it's showing signs of dropping back and fast.

I'm guessing the multicultural kind are really scared about it. Oh well.
Spanish will persist as long as it's spoken & studied in the US. It's well grounded in Mexican-American communities throughout the Southwest US; & in the larger (& medium) cities throughout the US, there's typically some concentration of Spanish speakers, mostly from Mexico & Central America, but also from S. America & other sources - the Philippines, for one (although Spanish may be a minority language there by now).

If Spanish continues in use in the US, it will be among the communities that speak it now, or that come to it in the future. Languages & cultures rise & fall through time.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Exactly, adapt. Times change. It's how the world works.

Other countries require their students to learn multiple languages. I was just in Mexico and there were hoards of Chinese and Japanese tourists speaking fluent Spanish. We're right next door and we're whining about possible discrimination?

Why the hell should we adapt to Spanish speakers many of whom are in this country illegally? Are you serious? Tourists shouldn't have to speak a foreign language while visiting any country just a few sentences to get by. What the Chinese and Japanese do has nothing to do with us. There is no "possible" discrimination there "is" discrimination against our own native English speakers in hiring practices because of the above. Read some of the comments under this topic. Opposing being discriminated against in one's own country is now "whining"? Why the hell should white, black, Asian, etc. Americans have to learn Spanish due to the above? You must be joking.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:22 AM

13,631 posts, read 20,724,854 times
Quote:
Why the hell should we adapt to Spanish speakers many of whom are in this country illegally? Are you serious? Tourists shouldn't have to speak a foreign language while visiting any country just a few sentences to get by. What the Chinese and Japanese do has nothing to do with us. There is no "possible" discrimination there "is" discrimination against our own native English speakers in hiring practices because of the above. Read some of the comments under this topic. Opposing being discriminated against in one's own country is now "whining"? Why the hell should white, black, Asian, etc. Americans have to learn Spanish due to the above? You must be joking.
As I said in my first post, you mention anything about foreign languages and Americans take leave of their senses.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:23 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,931,306 times
Quote:
I'm hearing a lot of arent Conservatives about bootstraps? This is why we're falling behind. When things change you adapt to them and profit, that's what capitalism is about.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:08 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,724,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I'm hearing a lot of arent Conservatives about bootstraps? This is why we're falling behind. When things change you adapt to them and profit, that's what capitalism is about.

Did you read the article? Thought not...

Spanish is confronting what might be called the “Three Generation Death” law of non-English languages here. German, Italian, and Polish all but disappeared after three generations — a first, immigrant generation that learned some English, a second, U.S.-born bilingual generation that lost its proficiency in the non-English language over time, and a third generation that grew up speaking English only, and knew the old language only by studying it.

Since the speaking of Spanish in the United States is clearly on the wane it would seem people are indeed adapting- as you- to speaking English and profiting by assimilating.

But feel free to discuss Cervantas in Spanish with you pool boy.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:10 PM

4,793 posts, read 2,783,911 times
Default Counting the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Spanish is the language of an immigrant underclass in America.

I don't see the benefit in "saving" Spanish over any other foreign language in our nation.
America being the US, right? & the headline is a hoot, too - it also confuses America with the US, & besides, gets the capitalization on Español wrong. (But points for @ least getting the right word.)

Is there an underclass in the US? Is there supposed to be one? No, Spanish is spoken by a lot of people in the US - doctors, lawyers, CEOs - the whole gamut, right down to the professions of the Village People. I'm sure we'll see more professionals who speak Spanish in the future - if that's an issue. The Mexican (in CA, NM, CO, AZ, TX, LA, FL & here & there elsewhere) population in the US started @ a disadvantage - the educated & powerful tended to stay in Mexico City or close by, where the politics & administration were concentrated. But people have come in from all over, from all walks of life - a lot of professionals fled Cuba when Castro took over, for instance.

& of course, Spanish was likely the first European language to establish itself in the Americas. (The Vikings were probably first, but their colonies failed.) Then Portuguese, French, Dutch, German (?), & last of the majors, English. The Native Peoples were first, of course, everywhere in the Americas. But Spanish has the best claim to being a transplanted native European language - in fact, by 2050CE, the Census Bureau projects that the US will have the World's largest Spanish speaking population. ¡Viva!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies