Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 04:36 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Apparently Putin voted for me so it doesn't matter.

I'd rather have him clean my bathroom but such is life.
Russian trolls in St. Petersburg wrote that Hillary body double garabage that you gobbled up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 04:36 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
They already have one, it's called a Social Security Card. Which, BTW, it was promised would never be used as identification, but of course liberals lied as usual.
So we have a National ID card, therefore voter ID cards are redundant. Case closed and thanks for playing.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:01 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Then why do I get run through a ringer to buy a firearm? Back ground check, multiple forms of ID. A vote has far more reaching consequences than purchasing a firearm for the average American.
I fill out a short form and show my DL, easy as pie, pie is harder. Too hard for you? Took me less than 30 minutes last time.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:08 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Because the laws typically include reduced voting hours, abolished same day registration, and reduced polling places in minority majority districts: look at Wisconsin and North Carolina. Moreover, Republicans express no interest in funding programs that actually help people receive ID's to vote.

Voter ID laws have good intentions but they are clearly intended to prevent minorities from voting - the leaked emails from the John Doe investigation in Wisconsin prove this.
Another thing they did in Wisconsin was immediately close down 10 DMV offices in Democratic areas, while expanding hours in Republican areas - making it harder for people in Democratic areas to get the necessary ID, and easier for people in the areas that voted Republican.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:09 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,421,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I've read what Freak80 has posted.

I've also read that in some states, they go out of their way to make it difficult / impossible for the disenfranchised to vote. They'll go to highly populated areas and put in only two booths, for example.

I read something a while back saying that when they were discussing requiring a voter ID, that states would charge $5 for an ID, and if people couldn't afford that, they wouldn't charge at all. They also said they would go to those who couldn't get out.

If that's the case, there's absolutely no excuse not to require an ID. I think there should be a requirement of showing an ID in order to vote.

The problem is, I don't know what to believe anymore.

I think voter ID requirements work quite well. These things we do seem to address a lot of the problems in this thread.

Here in Canada we have to show ID. I'm taking from a website here (not verbatim), but election rules are the same nationwide from coast to coast to coast. Ballot casting stations have the same hours whether you are in Halifax or Vancouver or Yellowknife.

The nice part is we can use upwards of 40 forms of identification. Non-government issued ID. Such as student ID's or employee cards. And even non-photo ID cards. So long as it has your name and a current address on it. We can also use expired driver's licences, which is great for those who don't / can't drive anymore, like senior citizens. These ID laws really help to limit disenfranchised voters.

Elections Canada is a national non-partisan organisation that registers eligible voters and reports directly to Parliament. National, Provincial and Territorial agencies send EC their lists of eligible voters electronically, and EC even takes it upon themselves to go door to door, particularly in high mobility areas to keep things accurate. You can even have your name removed from the registered voter list if you chose to.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:26 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,880,671 times
And you have a list of anything and everything that a "liberal" is for and against?

Old 12-21-2016, 05:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I would think it would just make sense to have to show you have an ID.
That's pretty much what was said to keep blacks from voting during the days of Jim Crow.

In case you missed that day in history class....blacks had to prove they could read to get a voter ID. Which many could not do because they were segregated and put in substandard schools. In the more evil parts of this nation there were laws against teaching black people to read.

Liberals are against voter ID laws because they are used to discriminate against people of color. We have the gall to believe EVERY citizen has the right to vote. Not just the white conservatives. Any other questions?

Old 12-21-2016, 06:04 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Russian trolls in St. Petersburg wrote that Hillary body double garabage that you gobbled up.
My post was confusing.

I was trying to mock the Left. I've heard Putin getting the blame for everything from Hillary's loss to "climate change" to New Coke over the past few weeks.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:07 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
The general conservative view is that in order to prevent voter fraud, an ID must be had. The liberal argument is that many people, particularly minorities and lower class citizens, do not have the resources to acheived an ID.

Both views are, in my mind, ridiculous. Yes, the idea of voter fraud is a frightening one but it's not exactly a serious problem. Cases happen, but very seldom and even more rarely, do they cause large scale problems. That said, the idea that poor people cannot get IDs is not really true. While this can technically very region to region, most poor people and minorities have IDs. While for some people, it may be a bit of a hassle, it's far from impossible.

My stance: I don't think the issue matters much. Personally, I don't find it unreasonably to be asked to show ID. As is, most states (likely all, though I've never gotten that scientific about the issue so I'll play it safe and say most) require proof of identity to be shown when applying for voter registration. Showing an ID at the booth is somewhat of an unnecessary precaution, but it's not all that burdensome and there are a number of ways to alleviate any problems that could arise in terms of accessibility of receiving photo ID.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:08 PM

638 posts, read 310,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's pretty much what was said to keep blacks from voting during the days of Jim Crow.

In case you missed that day in history class....blacks had to prove they could read to get a voter ID. Which many could not do because they were segregated and put in substandard schools. In the more evil parts of this nation there were laws against teaching black people to read.

Liberals are against voter ID laws because they are used to discriminate against people of color. We have the gall to believe EVERY citizen has the right to vote. Not just the white conservatives. Any other questions?
The days of Jim Crow are long gone. Most people have an ID now. Aside from needing one to legally work in the US, it's kind of a necessity if you're going to engage in about a thousand other things. You can't even buy good cold medicine without it anymore. It's a non-sequitur that has no basis in reality.

The only reason why Dems are against it today is we have around 30 million illegals and while not ALL of them illegally vote, enough of them vote to possibly sway an election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies