Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 09:08 AM

1,188 posts, read 958,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That will depend on how the Alt-Right works out, because there is a good chance that people are ready to reject it once all its faults are laid out bare for all to see.
Honestly, I think that the Trump agenda would steer the country in the right direction or at least slow the speed at which we're headed for the iceberg, but it's clear that he's going to be impeached for corruption before any of his agenda gets put in play.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:18 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
RACISM

Like some may say that "where there's smoke there's fire," I tend to think the same thing about racism...

If you wonder whether your thoughts or comments are racist, and/or if you find yourself defending yourself against being a racist in general, you're probably a racist. Also, if you can't understand anything having to do with the BLM movement, you're probably a racist or simply dumb or in denial about racism in general.

That's a pretty silly classification system, as are most simple dichotomies. There are certainly racists in the alt-right because racists clearly believe that human biology is a factor . I do not believe in tabula rasa either. However it does not at all mean I hate the differences anymore than I would the 4 seasons. Race haters are indeed in the alt-right, just like Stalin was a leftist. However not all leftists centrally plan murder. Of course the problem with leftism is central planning makes mass murder much more feasible.

I do not believe I was taught to become aroused by sexy women. A good lot of the LGBT crowd does not even realize they are alt-right, given their approach that one is born the way they are. Quite ironic that transgenders are arguing for biological primacy while their political allies try to suggest heterosexual men have been brain washed to find obesity in women unattractive and are completely malleable. Even racism itself has biological drivers. However so does exogamy and racial integration. They are not all equal , and there is an optimal rate between inbreeding and cultural dissolution.

In the end it seems clear to me that your school of thought of us vs them isn't working. Seems to me the denial of who we actually are isn't leading to harmony.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 12-23-2016 at 10:20 AM..

Old 12-23-2016, 09:43 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thats an argument flawed on multiple points.

Racism is a bad thing regardless of id you believe it is over used, same as bigotry.

If you believe someone is falsely accused, that is one thing, but you conservatives are actually arguing as if you dont care that you are racist.
Because it is a lot of false accusations. Those of us who have grown up with this kind of manipulation and intimidation know the drill. Bullies create delusions in an attempt to make you feel bad or insecure so they can get what they want from you, like calling a normal weight girl fat or a smart kid stupid, and scapegoating people. Its like a form of gaslighting used by abusive people. They have an agenda and these are known tactics to get people to believe something untrue and bend to their will. The goal is to get people to admit a falsehood is true.

Finally you stop defending yourself against the erroneous accusations and say "whatever, think what you will" and simply ignore them because with people like this, it is all just noise.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:57 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

The alt-right drew in a lot of the young white people, especially males, who felt personally slighted and alienated by this and couldn't escape it on social media.
Great post. The most important part, however, is bolded here. You have thousands, if not millions of white guys..who have never stepped foot on the ground of Yale University and never will, have never had any direct dealings with a radical liberal/feminist/SJW, live in largely white areas, yet because of non-stop ingesting of right wing commentary ("news") and videos circulating on the internet, they think that the SJWs are coming to get them. Paranoia is not an uncommon theme among the right.

The truth is these people have little effect on most of our lives, but you would think, judging by the fact that guys CAN'T GET THROUGH A THREAD here without mentioning "snowflakes" and "Social Justice Warriors", that there are millions of these people forcing their beliefs on everyone else.
It shows just how out of proportion with reality peoples mindsets become when they get their information from an echo chamber that reinforces the same ideas over and over again. No different than the SJW's they rail against, except that there are FAR MORE right wing paranoids railing against SJW's then there are actual SJWs.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:10 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,710 times
Quote:
Well, the alt-right was more a reaction to the increasingly divisive, radical, and puritanical SJW movement than something self-actuating. After years of increasingly antagonizing white people, especially white males, it eventually more or less stated that it not only didn't need to make any social accommodations for white people, it didn't want to, wasn't going to, and it took glee if that offended you.

The alt-right drew in a lot of the young white people, especially males, who felt personally slighted and alienated by this and couldn't escape it on social media. As big a role as these people who comprise the "alt right" played, though, let's also remember that the Trump campaign didn't have a problem roping in the older folks who aren't net-savvy or know what a meme is, but were never going to vote democrat anyways, and also a lot of fence-sitters who just plain didn't want Hillary Clinton to be president because of her scandal-wracked past and obsessive sense of entitlement for the presidency. America had already rejected her as president once so it should have come as no surprise that large swaths of people would do it again.

I think there was a huge miscalculation not only in that, and the electoral votes (I guess despite all that campaign money and whatnot, Soros forgot to send over a calculator and an electroal map to one of the interns to see if it made any sense), but also in how much shaming white people were willing to take before they said "enough" and voted in opposition to these forces. No matter what anyone says about Obama, at the very least, he stumped in the rust belt and assured white voters he was with them; Hillary's slogan was "I'm with her," putting the onus not on the candidate to work for the voters, but the voters to get her elected so she could smash that glass ceiling. The total lack of lip service, let alone sincerity, to these people was a grave mistake. The sense many got was that her opinion of large swaths of white people - most males, the rural, the working-class, and those not college-educated - were unimportant to her campaign and deserved nary more than a big eye-roll and sarcastic poker face.

For those in the social justice movement who sincerely put their weight behind her, thought she would win and this would be the final nail in the coffin of the cisheteronormative white patriarchy, I think the results of this election were a big, deserved smack across the face: real life isn't a safe space. You can't dogpile people with slogans and rhetoric forever, before those slogans lose meaning and the shame isn't coming as planned anymore. It hammered home that although the term "minority" is taken as a badge of pride and used as a rallying call, there is a meaning behind it, and that meaning is that there are fewer than the majority. If you want to run a successful campaign, there isn't any way you can do so without at least making a pean to that majority and convincing a significant number of them that you have their best interest at heart as well. Obama did it. Why couldn't Hillary? Also, her campaign not only failed to unite, it embraced a sort of ideological separatism that, again, said it didn't want these "deplorable" white people.

To be clear, I am generally a leftist/liberal. Peruse my comments from the last election cycle.... I'm a white male, but I am married to a woman of color, as it's termed in the US, and our daughter is mixed. I live in a nonwhite society, most of my friends here and back home are nonwhite, and many are LGBTQ to boot. I have no sympathies towards the alt-right or any neo-Nazi movements - hell, one of my quirks as a liberal is that I am pro-Israel despite not being a Jew - but I think that it's high time to reign in these divisive radical elements and work towards a better future for all Americans rather thsn pursuing an ever-changing, sadistic and vengeful ideal of "justice" which won't actually serve to help anyone.

*takes deep breath and steps off soapbox*
Outstanding post!

Old 12-23-2016, 10:32 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Sort of funny isn't it. White males in the "alt-right" are finally giving minority racists a glimpse of themselves. However that isn't even fairly stated. Once white males begin demanding legal privileges and safe spaces from minorities , then perhaps they can spot their white doppelgangers. It was certainly a reactionary movement. I recall being sold equality under the law as genX, and I purchased it quickly as if by instinct. What has gone wrong with it? Why destroy the country with identity politics? Voting along racial and tribal lines will end all legitimate political discourse. Everyone is being forced into a tribal game of chicken. Economic class is a far more real privilege, and far more accurate indicator of social justice( privileges traceable to government. ) . I do not merely sense a plan by the social economic elites to distract their acts of class warfare and supplanting it with race. It is something that seems likely.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:50 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
That's a pretty silly classification system, as are most simple dichotomies. There are certainly racists in the alt-right because racists clearly believe that human biology is a factor . I do not believe in tabula rasa either. However it does not at all mean I hate the differences anymore than I would the 4 seasons. Race haters are indeed in the alt-right, just like Stalin was a leftist. However not all leftists centrally plan murder. Of course the problem with leftism is central planning makes mass murder much more feasible.

I do not believe I was taught to become aroused by sexy women. A good lot of the LGBT crowd does not even realize they are alt-right, given their approach that one is born the way they are. Quite ironic that transgenders are arguing for biological primacy while their political allies try to suggest heterosexual men have been brain washed to find obesity in women unattractive and are completely malleable. Even racism itself has biological drivers. However so does exogamy and racial integration. They are not all equal , and there is an optimal rate between inbreeding and cultural dissolution.

In the end it seems clear to me that your school of thought of us vs them isn't working. Seems to me the denial of who we actually are isn't leading to harmony.
If my comment or philosophy can be summed up as "us vs them," then I am doing an awfully poor job writing!

I will admit that manner in which to judge whether one is a racist was simplistic, but with a good amount of truth involved nevertheless. I try to strictly adhere to a philosophy and "walk" that abides by the goal to "live and let live." I try not to be judgmental about how people look or eat or dress or believe differently than me, although obviously our differences in how we think is a common point of "discussion" in this forum.

In any case, what is racism and those who demonstrate racist tendencies is rather clear and obvious to me. All too often people who want to suggest they are not racist are making racists comments while they attempt to explain them selves! They don't even know it!

"Just like Stalin was a leftist."

I'll leave that comment alone except to point out there are many ways to describe or define what is considered "leftist" philosophy. I am not sure what it would take to make clear all the necessary distinctions when it comes to these sorts of labels, but I know I am more likely to be considered one to lean left rather than right, but this in no way means that Stalin in any way represents my political beliefs. Please...

Old 12-23-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Great post. The most important part, however, is bolded here. You have thousands, if not millions of white guys..who have never stepped foot on the ground of Yale University and never will, have never had any direct dealings with a radical liberal/feminist/SJW, live in largely white areas, yet because of non-stop ingesting of right wing commentary ("news") and videos circulating on the internet, they think that the SJWs are coming to get them. Paranoia is not an uncommon theme among the right.

The truth is these people have little effect on most of our lives, but you would think, judging by the fact that guys CAN'T GET THROUGH A THREAD here without mentioning "snowflakes" and "Social Justice Warriors", that there are millions of these people forcing their beliefs on everyone else.
It shows just how out of proportion with reality peoples mindsets become when they get their information from an echo chamber that reinforces the same ideas over and over again. No different than the SJW's they rail against, except that there are FAR MORE right wing paranoids railing against SJW's then there are actual SJWs.
Yours is the "great post!" My compliments. Especially that about these people who can't keep from using terms like "snowflakes," or again with the "Bahahahaha" immaturity, or thinking that everyone on the "Easy coast" or West coast are "elitists," yes, it just gets really old, and depressing, to think there are so many people inclined that way, enough to make Trump POTUS in just a matter of days.

If this is part of whatever it means to "make America great again," I don't want to be great...

Old 12-23-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Well, the alt-right was more a reaction to the increasingly divisive, radical, and puritanical SJW movement than something self-actuating. After years of increasingly antagonizing white people, especially white males, it eventually more or less stated that it not only didn't need to make any social accommodations for white people, it didn't want to, wasn't going to, and it took glee if that offended you.

The alt-right drew in a lot of the young white people, especially males, who felt personally slighted and alienated by this and couldn't escape it on social media. As big a role as these people who comprise the "alt right" played, though, let's also remember that the Trump campaign didn't have a problem roping in the older folks who aren't net-savvy or know what a meme is, but were never going to vote democrat anyways, and also a lot of fence-sitters who just plain didn't want Hillary Clinton to be president because of her scandal-wracked past and obsessive sense of entitlement for the presidency. America had already rejected her as president once so it should have come as no surprise that large swaths of people would do it again.

I think there was a huge miscalculation not only in that, and the electoral votes (I guess despite all that campaign money and whatnot, Soros forgot to send over a calculator and an electroal map to one of the interns to see if it made any sense), but also in how much shaming white people were willing to take before they said "enough" and voted in opposition to these forces. No matter what anyone says about Obama, at the very least, he stumped in the rust belt and assured white voters he was with them; Hillary's slogan was "I'm with her," putting the onus not on the candidate to work for the voters, but the voters to get her elected so she could smash that glass ceiling. The total lack of lip service, let alone sincerity, to these people was a grave mistake. The sense many got was that her opinion of large swaths of white people - most males, the rural, the working-class, and those not college-educated - were unimportant to her campaign and deserved nary more than a big eye-roll and sarcastic poker face.

For those in the social justice movement who sincerely put their weight behind her, thought she would win and this would be the final nail in the coffin of the cisheteronormative white patriarchy, I think the results of this election were a big, deserved smack across the face: real life isn't a safe space. You can't dogpile people with slogans and rhetoric forever, before those slogans lose meaning and the shame isn't coming as planned anymore. It hammered home that although the term "minority" is taken as a badge of pride and used as a rallying call, there is a meaning behind it, and that meaning is that there are fewer than the majority. If you want to run a successful campaign, there isn't any way you can do so without at least making a pean to that majority and convincing a significant number of them that you have their best interest at heart as well. Obama did it. Why couldn't Hillary? Also, her campaign not only failed to unite, it embraced a sort of ideological separatism that, again, said it didn't want these "deplorable" white people.

To be clear, I am generally a leftist/liberal. Peruse my comments from the last election cycle.... I'm a white male, but I am married to a woman of color, as it's termed in the US, and our daughter is mixed. I live in a nonwhite society, most of my friends here and back home are nonwhite, and many are LGBTQ to boot. I have no sympathies towards the alt-right or any neo-Nazi movements - hell, one of my quirks as a liberal is that I am pro-Israel despite not being a Jew - but I think that it's high time to reign in these divisive radical elements and work towards a better future for all Americans rather thsn pursuing an ever-changing, sadistic and vengeful ideal of "justice" which won't actually serve to help anyone.

*takes deep breath and steps off soapbox*
Agreed, this too a comment worth considering, better than most...

A bit of a ding upon reading that you are pro-Israel rather than as Bernie Sanders seems more willing to consider both sides of that issue, but I also have no sympathies towards alt-right neo-Nazi movements. In fact, I would go much further than simply suggest I have "no sympathies," but some might consider that "divisive."

Old 12-23-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
I believe that 2016 is the first presidential election in which a full-fledged "internet culture" had developed. Of course the internet was still a big thing in 2012, but its involvement in our culture was not nearly as large back then.

The following are two of the reasons why I believe that today's right wing killed the left wing on the media front in the last campaign and will continue to:

Reddit.com's subform /r/the_donald. I think this was one of Reddit's most popular subs ever. In any case, it was gigantic and it's where a lot of the positive Donald Trump news originated. That forum made Trump into an icon.

More attractive women. Did the left-wing forget that sex sells? After the first presidential debate on CNN, when the pundits were having a roundtable discussion, I was watching and all I could think was, "Who is that beautiful woman in the red?". Surprise, surprise, it was the token right-wing pundit at the table. I'm talking about Kayleigh Mcenany. Then there's also Tomi Lahren, Ivanka Trump, etc. Skinny, blonde and pretty is now subconsciously associated with being right-wing, while looking and talking like Rachel Maddow, or possibly Megan Kelly when she cut her hair short and looked like an alien, or some feminist Youtube blogger with tattoos and buzzed hair and black lipstick, is associated with being a liberal.

Numerous bloggers, Youtube celebrities, etc. endorsed Trump. I mean, who the heck in their right mind would endorse Crooked Hillary? That's a great way to become uncool. Warren Buffet may have openly endorsed Hillary, but the most contact he has with the internet is playing Bridge, and no one thinks he's cool anyhow.
Funny and ironic, don't you think?

Not at all too long ago, when Romney lost to Obama, Boehner exited stage left out of frustration with the Tea Party, there was much commentary about how the GOP either needed to "change the design on the pizza box and/or change the pizza." The GOP was becoming irrelevant to too many Americans, so there was all sorts of conservative "soul searching" going on.

And while that was going on, Trump swooped in with his new brand of politics and took every politician in both parties by surprise.

Now, just that quickly, it's the Democrats who need to regroup, find a better message and/or messenger.

Or wouldn't it be something if that messenger were good enough to succeed without being a part of either party?

Right. And there finally be peace on Earth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies