Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:22 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Considering the low IQ of the majority of the American voters, probably eight years.
Does that include the majority (popular vote) who went with Hillary? (...oh pardon: plurality, not majority).

Accusing the electorate of being flat heads and reprobates helped start that woman's downfall, remember. Ditto for Mittens in 2012, as I recall: he looked about as reputable as one of those executive consultants from Bain, PWC, or Accenture, appropriately enough. That being, "not a whit." I've worked with enough of them to know who the real balloon heads are, and it isn't the salt-of-the-earth average American with tons of street smarts. No indeedy.

God willing, we certainly will "probably" have eight years of opportunity to drain that swamp. If they pull it off is another matter; there are (very many) non "low IQ" Republicans out there, like yours truly, who will be watching with great interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 07:28 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Popular vote is not part of America's system of electing a President. Perhaps you got that confused with the Electoral College.

Hey, if you want to change the Constitution, have at it.

If we had a popular vote, candidates would have campaigned in states that garnered the highest possibility of popular vote and Trump would have still one, just a different campaign style for both candidates.

Actually BB there is a statistical argument that if the popular majority of voters voted for Clinton, and it seems logical that average popular voters have average IQ, then logically Trump voters must have had a higher than average IQ since he won.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,922,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It depends almost entirely on how most Americans are doing economically. Trump bloviated a whole lot about good jobs and economic progress. But on the other hand, he has a long history of screwing his contractors and opposing minimum wage increases while bringing in foreign labor for his projects.

If most families haven't seen improvement, he's a one term aberration.

If the middle/working class gets a boost, he gets a second term.

It really is that simple.
I sort of agree with you, but Trump didn't inherit the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, when unemployment was high and the stock market was low. So it's possible he'll use some of the same successful programs that Obama put in place, tweak them a little, and then take credit.

A recent Pew Research survey asked Republicans if the stock market went up or down during while Obama has been in office. More than 1/3 said it went down, even though it more than doubled. Many stock investors tripled their money in the past 8 years. Also, a large number of people polled said unemployment rose under Obama and that we lost more manufacturing jobs than we gained.

In other words, perception is reality.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:45 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am thinking two years before he is impeached. Either that or he gets bored and hands the whole thing over to Pence. In any event I am certain that even the most die-hard Republican leaders in the House and Senate are worrying about the guy.
It never will be a presidency. Rather a sleazy reality show (the actual opposite of reality). Watch how long he lasts after his republican enemies in the Senate turn away all his cabinet nominations.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Popular vote is not part of America's system of electing a President. Perhaps you got that confused with the Electoral College.

Hey, if you want to change the Constitution, have at it.

If we had a popular vote, candidates would have campaigned in states that garnered the highest possibility of popular vote and Trump would have still one, just a different campaign style for both candidates.
What concerns me about the electoral college is that people who live in deeply blue or deeply red states often feel their votes don't count. I believe more people would participate in the process if it were one person, one vote.

Also, twice in recent history Republicans have won the EC and lost the popular vote. Had the winners of the EC been Democrats, I can assure you the GOP would be ranting about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Actually BB there is a statistical argument that if the popular majority of voters voted for Clinton, and it seems logical that average popular voters have average IQ, then logically Trump voters must have had a higher than average IQ since he won.
Well, I watched a Town Hall meeting last week in Wisconsin with Bernie Sanders and the Trump supporters were clueless. One woman who wants Medicare and Social Security strengthened said she voted for Trump. Many people who recently signed up for Obamacare or want a minimum wage increase voted for Trump.

Basically, I think a lot of people just wanted change. Also, since Clinton's poll numbers plummeted after Comey made the announcement only 9 days before the election, it's fair to say that had a devastating effect on the outcome.

Last edited by justNancy; 12-23-2016 at 08:00 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 07:53 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,092,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
What concerns me about the electoral college is that people who live in deeply blue or deeply red states often feel their votes don't count. I believe more people would participate in the process if it were one person, one vote.

Also, twice in recent history Republicans have won the EC and lost the popular vote. Had the winners of the EC been Democrats, I can assure you the GOP would be ranting about it. I think it's a riot that people like Rush Limbaugh keep mentioning that if we didn't count CA and NY, Trump would have won the popular vote. That's like disregarding nearly 40 million Americans and about 24 million registered voters. In fact, that argument supports the reason we need a popular vote. More people would register and participate in the process.

Liberals didn't complain about the EC before the election

Old 12-23-2016, 07:55 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I think 8 years. The dems are a complete disaster after Obama.
The Dems are not a disaster, just their candidate was this cycle. If they run the right candidate, who can unite the left and appeal to the center, Trump will be out in 2020.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:00 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I sort of agree with you, but Trump didn't inherit the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, when unemployment was high and the stock market was low. So it's possible he'll use some of the same successful programs that Obama put in place, tweak them a little, and then take credit.

A recent Pew Research survey asked Republicans if the stock market went up or down during while Obama has been in office. More than 1/3 said it went down, even though it more than doubled. Many stock investors tripled their money in the past 8 years. Also, a large number of people polled said unemployment rose under Obama and that we lost more manufacturing jobs than we gained.

In other words, perception is reality.
^^This. And a great example of how prejudice ignores fact - and that, folks, is why we're in the mess we're in.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Liberals didn't complain about the EC before the election
The GOP has been complaining about it for a long time so the hypocrisy is astounding. I remember when Obama won and they wouldn't stop whining about the blue wall. In fact, here's a letter from Newt Gingrich after Mitt Romney lost.

[url=http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/newt-gingrich-endorses-national-popular-vote]Newt Gingrich Endorses National Popular Vote | National Popular Vote[/url]

Old 12-23-2016, 08:08 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
If he continues to rant about our need to get more nukes, I think there will be more of an effort to find grounds to impeach. His business affairs and conflicts of interest will continue to be an issue unless he fully walks away from his business; they will taint much of what he tries to do. And if the economy tanks, he's done.
He might last as long as this country survives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies