Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 11:05 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,426,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwick View Post
I'd love and support my child just like I do now. But I'd worry for them, because I know their life as an LGBT is going to be so much more difficult because of all the hatred directed at the LGBT community.
I worry about it all the time. Especially when I read posts here on CD (not you, mcwick) referring to "Old fat tranny". Yeah, that didn't soothe my worries, not at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 11:05 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,745,428 times
There is no convincing conservatives, who have never dealt with homosexuality, from believing it is a choice because that's what James Dobson tells them about it. Until "family leaders" admit that it may not be a conscious decision for a gay man to be attracted to another man, they won't believe it. Even then, it's likely many of them would accuse whatever Christian organization is saying its not a choice of succumbing to the pressure of an evil world.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:13 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,426,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think it was when a transsexual voiced their opinion and wanted to walk in to the girl bathroom and made a big deal about it...before then people just went were they thought they belonged and nobody really cared.
Question for people, not just you glass_of_Merlot, why is it always about a person on the trans scale being born male and identifying as female that scares people so, especially with the bathroom issue? It goes the other way too, but most comments here and in the news tend to scew towards a fear of male identifying as female. Just something I've noticed.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:03 AM

638 posts, read 308,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
There is no convincing conservatives, who have never dealt with homosexuality, from believing it is a choice because that's what James Dobson tells them about it. Until "family leaders" admit that it may not be a conscious decision for a gay man to be attracted to another man, they won't believe it. Even then, it's likely many of them would accuse whatever Christian organization is saying its not a choice of succumbing to the pressure of an evil world.

There's also no convincing conservatives who have dealt with homosexuals on a regular basis in the past that all of them are exactly the same, because it fits the liberal narrative.

Look, we get it. If they were "born that way", it ends the discussion. We can certainly see why a group would pursue that narrative. But here's the thing. Conservatives completely realize that when you get a group of liberal professionals together, meaning people that happen to have the right credentials but are completely lacking in integrity, they believe the ends justify the means and will say whatever they have to say in order to further their agenda. Couple that with a conservative who actually knows quite a bit about the topic, and the story falls apart.

That's the problem with liberals in general. You shouldn't have to "convince" anyone of the truth unless it isn't the truth. No one has ever had to sell me a handful of cash for free. Not all gays are born gay. Life experiences and social activity do play a part with some. Now you can go to the altar of idiocy and believe what your half-bakes pseudoscience tells you, but data will always trump theory.

Even if I didn't have the experience I have, liberals in general have a credibility problem. Continuing to lie about everything from "climate change" to voter ID doesn't improve that situation. So to be fair, if a liberal told me the sky was blue I'd have to break out the Pantone chart and fact check it.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:30 AM

1,478 posts, read 782,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If my 36 year old son leaves his wife and three kids for a man I will be ticked off.
Some Western parents raise obese children by overfeeding their children. Likewise, some parents would approve of their married son abandoning his wife and three children for a man. Just as some parents shoot heroin in their small children.

But with free will, and grace from God, one does not have to be like those parents.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:02 AM

1,478 posts, read 782,469 times
In a previous post I might have said I would rather my child be one of the acronyms of the LGBTQ than a drug addict. But I meant with the exception of being a T or transexual.

In terms of pride, lust, gluttony I would rather my child be overweight than one identities in the LGBTQ.

Not sure about being overly obese or a snob.

Being overly obese is a health danger like being a transexual born male.

At any rate... proper parenting should reduce--not eliminate--the odds of developing a child with any of those characteristics. That and proper environments.

Really, I don't much mind what others do if it is not bothering me. Minus my children as it is my duty to help guide them to a path to enter heaven rather than be damned to hell for all eternity. While a Greek Orthodox priest who is also a medical doctor told me he is no greater than me, that he is "nothing", and that salvation is a mystery (therefore, an obese, IV heroin addicted transexual can get into heaven possibly) and the Orthodox do not rank sins as mortal vs venial (but view salvation as a mystery) everyone is still called to turn away from sin. And sin may still get you damned to hell.

And there are homeless, overweight, drug addicted homosexuals. An obese woman that can barely get off her bed might go to heaven. The good look homosexual guy driving a sports car might get damned to hell. The heterosexual guy that followed all the American laws, takes care of his health, volunteers to help cripple kids, but lies to his barber might get damned to hell.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:15 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,350,572 times
Turn the question around.

Should an LGBT parent accept it if one or more of their kids were straight?

Old 12-26-2016, 06:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,177,594 times
Other than the expectations of having my children marry and procreate with opposite sex spouses, I would accept it. They are my children and I love them and I want them to be happy in their relationships. Whether they are same or opposite sex is of very little consequence in the grand scheme of things.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:56 AM

14,863 posts, read 8,150,242 times
I've had a lot of gay friends, and I generally consider myself to be pretty tolerant.

But, I do have a tendency to sit around all day and psycho-analyze people in a sort of Freudian way. And in almost all cases, there is a perfectly clear reason why someone "became gay".

That doesn't mean it is a choice, any more than it might be a choice to be mentally ill. But there is clear causality, which is itself unnatural(think of girls with "daddy issues" because their father was never around).

Thus, I have a tendency to think of homosexuality as a problem in need of a solution, rather than a permanent condition. And I feel myself always trying to change people(IE to turn them straight).

So, would I be accepting of a LGBT child? If I was to be honest with myself, I might be tolerant(insofar as I wouldn't be outwardly hostile), but I would never be able to accept of their way-of-life, in a truly open sense.

And I think if people could be honest with themselves, they would realize how much of a relief they would feel if their child was "normal".

Does that mean they are intolerant? If I was to say that I will "tolerate" something; It actually means that I oppose it, but I will still allow it. It does not mean I support it, agree with it, or think it is equal to anything else.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:59 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,889,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Nobody is born gay, no gay gene no dna test no nothing, it's a man created social mental disorder.
I agree, but one can be born with numerous types of chemical and physical imbalances for whatever reason and this can lead to various abnormal behaviors, including those of a sexual nature (non-gene specific). I think there are legitimate occurrences as I mentioned with the bulk of occurrences being that of socially learned behaviors. Fact is, the deviant behaviors have become as openly accepted and encouraged as any teenage social fad and that I believe is what has increased the number of occurrences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies