Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 06:00 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Turn the question around.

Should an LGBT parent accept it if one or more of their kids were straight?
Why do you remind me of articles about drug addicted parents that give their small children drugs?

Premarital sex is immoral and may result in damnation in hell. It might not but it may as in it can. Homosexuality itself is a sin, termed "sodomites" in ancient Judeo-Christian terms as the terms homosexual and homosexuality did not exist. Those terms were more recent invention to indoctrinate modern man with the idea a guy that likes giving oral sex to 19 year-old men is not he same kind of man innately as the guy that likes doing similar to 19 year-old women.

I suspect to change perception like the term cisgender is meant to do.

Only God can judge and say who will go to hell. But we know any sin can get us there. So, while impossible it is best to be sinless. Since we can not be sinless we must rely on God's grace, call upon it, and remain in prayer to God. Turning away from sin is best. Any sin such as gossip (some people have a greater problem with that sin then others). But promotion of sin is deadly.

Jesus use the phrase "these little ones" in part to refer to his followers. Meaning grown adult followers. And he warns of severe punishment to those that lead his little ones into sin.

So, any parent that leads their child into sin arguably is in more danger of damnation in hell than the child engaging repeatedly in the sin.

But to understand any of this requires a proper moral formation in terms of figuring out and recognizing right from wrong. Like only a person that can speak and read English can understand English spoken to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 06:03 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Why do you remind me of articles about drug addicted parents that give their small children drugs?

Premarital sex is immoral and may result in damnation in hell. It might not but it may as in it can. Homosexuality itself is a sin, termed "sodomites" in ancient Judeo-Christian terms as the terms homosexual and homosexuality did not exist. Those terms were more recent invention to indoctrinate modern man with the idea a guy that likes giving oral sex to 19 year-old men is not he same kind of man innately as the guy that likes doing similar to 19 year-old women.

I suspect to change perception like the term cisgender is meant to do.

Only God can judge and say who will go to hell. But we know any sin can get us there. So, while impossible it is best to be sinless. Since we can not be sinless we must rely on God's grace, call upon it, and remain in prayer to God. Turning away from sin is best. Any sin such as gossip (some people have a greater problem with that sin then others). But promotion of sin is deadly.

Jesus use the phrase "these little ones" in part to refer to his followers. Meaning grown adult followers. And he warns of severe punishment to those that lead his little ones into sin.

So, any parent that leads their child into sin arguably is in more danger of damnation in hell than the child engaging repeatedly in the sin.

But to understand any of this requires a proper moral formation in terms of figuring out and recognizing right from wrong. Like only a person that can speak and read English can understand English spoken to them.
Please do not use the term "Judeo-Christian." Jews don't stoop to the fearmongering of burning in hell, especially not due to premarital sex. Oy vey. I'd be more concerned if my child came home preaching those that don't agree with them will burn in hell for eternity than if they came home with a same sex partner who they loved and who treated them well.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:17 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Please do not use the term "Judeo-Christian." Jews don't stoop to the fearmongering of burning in hell, especially not due to premarital sex. Oy vey. I'd be more concerned if my child came home preaching those that don't agree with them will burn in hell for eternity than if they came home with a same sex partner who they loved and who treated them well.
I'm a Christian and my church doesn't preach intolerance, burning in hell for sins ...

We talk about loving one another, doing good work in the world, taking care of the less fortunate ...

See there was this Jew named Jesus...

Old 12-26-2016, 06:21 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
I'd have to say it would be very difficult for me but yes, I would accept it. I think anyone who says that it wouldn't even remotely affect them ought to have their heads examined.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:26 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
Parenting means in all things...

If you want an LGBT child you train them as such

If you don't you train them as such

Children don't know otherwise...It's goofy parents who make goofy kids in all aspects...They are further bolstered or hindered by school.. Society...Liberals..Or conservatives

Old 12-26-2016, 06:26 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
None of the above. I will always love my child and would always welcome him or her in my home, as well as the significant other. However, my child would know that I disagree with his or her lifestyle on religious grounds. My child would know that certain behaviors would not be welcomed in my home, similar to certain behaviors between any unmarried child of mine who is straight.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:57 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I've had a lot of gay friends, and I generally consider myself to be pretty tolerant.

But, I do have a tendency to sit around all day and psycho-analyze people in a sort of Freudian way. And in almost all cases, there is a perfectly clear reason why someone "became gay".

That doesn't mean it is a choice, any more than it might be a choice to be mentally ill. But there is clear causality, which is itself unnatural(think of girls with "daddy issues" because their father was never around).

Thus, I have a tendency to think of homosexuality as a problem in need of a solution, rather than a permanent condition. And I feel myself always trying to change people(IE to turn them straight).

So, would I be accepting of a LGBT child? If I was to be honest with myself, I might be tolerant(insofar as I wouldn't be outwardly hostile), but I would never be able to accept of their way-of-life, in a truly open sense.

And I think if people could be honest with themselves, they would realize how much of a relief they would feel if their child was "normal".

Does that mean they are intolerant? If I was to say that I will "tolerate" something; It actually means that I oppose it, but I will still allow it. It does not mean I support it, agree with it, or think it is equal to anything else.
Interesting. I also am fascinated with psychology and how our childhoods play into adult decisions we make. I had daddy issues. If you look at my husband, you can clearly see why I fell in love with him because of those issues. But I don't think its a problem that needs a solution.

A friend of mine has a great quote that I love. Our adult relationships heal the hurts of our childhood. I couldn't agree with her more. The older I get and see who I've surrounded myself with, the more I agree with her.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Nobody is born gay, no gay gene no dna test no nothing, it's a man created social mental disorder.
I couldn't disagree more.
Homosexuality has been observed in hundreds of different species of animals. Of course, the animal kingdom is not beholden to "man created social mental disorders" so I tend to believe that homosexuality is natural.

Do Animals Exhibit Homosexuality? | Yale Scientific Magazine

Old 12-26-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'm a Christian and my church doesn't preach intolerance, burning in hell for sins ...

We talk about loving one another, doing good work in the world, taking care of the less fortunate ...

See there was this Jew named Jesus...
The Episcopal church also espouses messages of love and tolerance for all - no matter their sexual preference. We, too, concentrate on being a light in a dark world and taking care of others.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:23 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Parenting means in all things...

If you want an LGBT child you train them as such

If you don't you train them as such

Children don't know otherwise...It's goofy parents who make goofy kids in all aspects...They are further bolstered or hindered by school.. Society...Liberals..Or conservatives
Parents create Bigots, there is NO gene for bigotry.

How do you "teach" your child to be Homosexual?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies