Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 09:20 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Most definitely.

I know a mother whose son is mentally ill and homeless. She has no idea where he is.

Gay or not, she'd be overjoyed to have him home.

Absolutely. A friend lost her son to an overdose last spring. When I see posts on the internet from people who would disown their children for being gay it breaks my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 09:22 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Absolutely. A friend lost her son to an overdose last spring. When I see posts on the internet from people who would disown their children for being gay it breaks my heart.
Mine too.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:25 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
I support my kids in anything they do as long as it's not harming others or themselves.

Easy guideline to follow and one I also generally apply to everyone else in life except for the "support" part.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

BTW - I'd but some kooky liberals would probably be more accepting of their kids being homo than they would of them being conservative.
If one of our kids voted for Trump, that'd be it for me. Done dee.

I would not cut off contact, but I can't imagine we'd have much to talk about.

I wouldn't cut them out of the celebrations, but they'd be out the will. No sense giving money to people with poor judgement.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Amen. I have some seriously uptight friends that can't understand my more laid back view and love for family. I'm just sad, I have family that I could never replace with friendship, just a totally different level of bond and am grateful to have it because as I've gotten older I know it's not a given.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I've had a lot of gay friends, and I generally consider myself to be pretty tolerant.

But, I do have a tendency to sit around all day and psycho-analyze people in a sort of Freudian way. And in almost all cases, there is a perfectly clear reason why someone "became gay".

That doesn't mean it is a choice, any more than it might be a choice to be mentally ill. But there is clear causality, which is itself unnatural(think of girls with "daddy issues" because their father was never around).

Thus, I have a tendency to think of homosexuality as a problem in need of a solution, rather than a permanent condition. And I feel myself always trying to change people(IE to turn them straight).

So, would I be accepting of a LGBT child? If I was to be honest with myself, I might be tolerant(insofar as I wouldn't be outwardly hostile), but I would never be able to accept of their way-of-life, in a truly open sense.

And I think if people could be honest with themselves, they would realize how much of a relief they would feel if their child was "normal".

Does that mean they are intolerant? If I was to say that I will "tolerate" something; It actually means that I oppose it, but I will still allow it. It does not mean I support it, agree with it, or think it is equal to anything else.
One can wish that there child was straight because it would make their life easier while also accepting that it wasnt a choice.

You seem to argue that you cant be one without the other.

As for what I assume is the "trauma" argument, how come those girls with daddy issues didnt just become lesbians ?

Old 12-26-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If one of our kids voted for Trump, that'd be it for me. Done dee.

I would not cut off contact, but I can't imagine we'd have much to talk about.

I wouldn't cut them out of the celebrations, but they'd be out the will. No sense giving money to people with poor judgement.
Wow. Just wow. That whole statement churns my stomach. WTH....just....WTH....

Old 12-26-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

As for what I assume is the "trauma" argument, how come those girls with daddy issues didnt just become lesbians ?
You don't just "become a lesbian."

Well, maybe some do. I have relative who had one horrible heterosexual relationship after another. I'm not kidding. Each man was worse than the last deadbeat loser. In her forties, she decided "to become a lesbian." It lasted a few years and didn't amount to much. Then she took up with a man who ended up in prison and decided celibacy was the way to go.

Some people play on both teams, so I guess they could just become a lesbian at will.

But most social workers and teachers I've worked with have been lesbians there whole life.

I do have a distant relative whose wife left him for a woman down the block. But I don't think she became a lesbian. I suspect she was one all along.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wow. Just wow. That whole statement churns my stomach. WTH....just....WTH....
I was joking when I wrote that, but now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that if I raised a kid that fell for a con man's lies, I would donate my money to someplace where it would do some good. Giving it to that kid would be wasted on the next con man that came along.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:42 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Selfish,,,,really?

Aside from the biological drive to carry on the genetic line of our ancestors, we give everything to our kids for the most part. We invest time, money, emotion, heartache, etc., etc., etc.
So to ask for them to do one simple thing, like we all did that have kids, is hardly selfish.
LOL at your argument contradicting itself.

You put forth the argument that it is so much hard work to have a child, and then admit that your reward should be a grand child,which would be hard work for the parent, but not Grams since you would only have to see this grand child when you wanted to(no real responsibility).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies