Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I would still love my daughter. I'd sure miss her, but I would love her from a great distance. And if I believed any of this was even remotely possible, why would she have a fully funded college account and a trust fund set up?
It's always remotely possible.

Just ask Dick Cheney. Or Rob Portman of Ohio.

One never knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 10:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I would still love my daughter. I'd sure miss her, but I would love her from a great distance. And if I believed any of this was even remotely possible, why would she have a fully funded college account and a trust fund set up?
Ah, how heartwarming. Some more of that Christian unconditional love dripping from this post. <3

Old 12-29-2016, 10:57 AM

778 posts, read 339,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Thank you. I understand exactly what you are saying - and how it must hurt. It is indeed very scary to watch and know there is little to nothing you can do to help. My heart goes out to you .. been there, done that. May time bring you all some peace.

I am saddened that so many here seem to have ignored the question (which I thought was just a statement that you could/would/would not/etc. accept a child who declared they were not heterosexual) and chose just to attack people who were nice enough to give honest answers. I certainly didn't understand that to be the purpose of this thread at all - to convert those who see things differently for their own reasons .. and certainly not to attack those who are going through really tough times as they watch loved ones struggle with these issues. How unfriendly of those of you who would do that!
I cannot rep you again, but I wanted you to know that your thoughtful response is genuinely appreciated. Thank you for understanding!

Old 12-29-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
If my son told me he was transgender I would accept him for who he felt he is. I may be confused, disappointed or even angry, but at the end of the day this is my child and I will always love my child. End of statement.
Exactly what I am dealing with although my child has claims to be non-binary but dresses up and wears makeup and demands the pronouns they/them be used when discussing they/them in 3rd person. Accepting being gay was a cake walk compared to this new chapter!

Old 12-29-2016, 11:32 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Exactly what I am dealing with although my child has claims to be non-binary but dresses up and wears makeup and demands the pronouns they/them be used when discussing they/them in 3rd person. Accepting being gay was a cake walk compared to this new chapter!
Yes, someone I know is in that same situation. She has known her daughter was gay since she was a teenager, but now as an adult, she is a "they/them". I didn't even know that was a thing until she explained it to me.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:35 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Unfortunately it is one of the major causes of teenage runaway. About a third of teenage runaways identify as gay.
Runaways and suicides.

One of my close friends came out in college and she attempted suicide soon after because her mother was extremely unsupportive at first. Unbelievably cold and dismissive. It's hard enough for some people to come to terms with being gay (some don't want to be and wish they weren't, some may have some of their own personal biases against it just because homophobia is still rather prevalent in society). They don't also need their own parents to be against it.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, someone I know is in that same situation. She has known her daughter was gay since she was a teenager, but now as an adult, she is a "they/them". I didn't even know that was a thing until she explained it to me.
Yes, it is a whole new ballgame when it comes to the gender fluidity nonsense. THAT is where a parent's love is truly tested.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:14 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ah, how heartwarming. Some more of that Christian unconditional love dripping from this post. <3
You're assuming. I'm not Christian and have no need for imaginary sugar daddies in the sky.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:45 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,025,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nope. Please don't play the dumbass "are you saying...?" game as a vehicle to make it look as though I said something other than what I did. It's an immature and tiresome old trick.

Oh, and don't send me nasty insults under the guise of a rep comment. Do it again and you will be reported.
I didn't do either nor am I a dumbass. No need to call names. People can sign names to rep comments as they like, you know that right???

Now, no more excuses. I asked you a question so please answer. I will quote it again...

Old 12-29-2016, 09:47 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,025,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801
All of the above are situations in which one person is doing another person or persons--or creature--harm.Not the same thing as two consenting adults attracted to each other or falling in love.
Are you saying two consenting adults cannot consent to do each other harm?
Because that seems to be EXACTLY what you are saying above^^^
And are now denying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies