Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 10:16 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I just want them out of America. I do not advocate the US withdrawing from the UN. I do advocate every country paying a membership fee based upon GNP or some other criterion that takes into account the country's ability to pay in terms of the size of its economy. In other words a fair deal.

It is my perception that America pays disproportionally.
I don't want the U.N. out of America. I see no good reason for that.

But I do agree that the U.S. should pay no more than its fair share, and perhaps your idea of basing that on economy is a good one...although that might make us still pay more. At least that's something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 10:19 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Please spare us the insults. That "deplorables" didn't work so well for the Clinton campaign.
You stated your opinion. I'm stating mine. To not want to support a world-wide organization that seeks peace, seeks to improve the health of people around the world through food and medicine, and leads some of the world's worst nations to up their game just a bit in regard to human rights is deplorable.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:12 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
The United Nations is located in the U.S., because we wanted it and needed it more than any of the other nations. For the same reason, we have always paid the largest share of the costs. That's still the case with the vast majority of people in this country. The opinions of a small number of alt-right isolationists, can't overthrow that. My opinion is, that things would become a lot worse for us and everyone, if we stopped supporting it. If only we hadn't agreed to letting just one nation on The Security Council, have veto power over every resolution.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:02 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
The Swiss are waaaay to smart to let the UN move the headquarters there.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:47 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
It is my perception that America pays disproportionally.
Actually, Ted Turner paid the US multi-year backlog of membership fees, back in 2000/2001.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20.../unitednations

Old 12-26-2016, 11:15 AM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The United Nations is located in the U.S., because we wanted it and needed it more than any of the other nations. For the same reason, we have always paid the largest share of the costs. That's still the case with the vast majority of people in this country. The opinions of a small number of alt-right isolationists, can't overthrow that. My opinion is, that things would become a lot worse for us and everyone, if we stopped supporting it. If only we hadn't agreed to letting just one nation on The Security Council, have veto power over every resolution.

The UN is in NY because Rockefeller said he would fund building it if they located there.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Just a comment, I just heard that US pays 20% of the cost of supporting the UN. If true, is that fair to US taxpayers? Do you want your taxes to pay for 1/5 of the entire UN? Are you getting your money's worth?

Just considering the recent resolution against Israel as I type this. Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East. Thanks a lot President Obama, for stabbing our ally in the back. (Note that it is inconceivable that our UN ambassador would vote to abstain and allow the resolution to go forward without Obama's instructions.)

Old 12-29-2016, 11:45 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,066,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You stated your opinion. I'm stating mine. To not want to support a world-wide organization that seeks peace, seeks to improve the health of people around the world through food and medicine, and leads some of the world's worst nations to up their game just a bit in regard to human rights is deplorable.

Well let me state my opinion. The UN is an anti-American, anti-Israel organization even though the US foots 22% of the UN's budget. The UN has never stopped a war or created peace. It's a joke.

DefUNd now!

Old 12-29-2016, 12:59 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

I suppose the real purpose of the UN being in NYC is so our spy agencies can eavesdrop on other nations in our own backyard. Like setting bait out for wild turkeys just before Thanksgiving.
My thoughts exactly!

Old 12-29-2016, 01:18 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times
As much as the UN can be a joke at times, it is better to have a seat at the table then to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Democracy was born at least as far back as ancient Greece and the US isn't one.
One could argue that ancient Greece wasn't a true democracy either. Many of the Greek city-states had more slaves than citizens that they would kill to attain manhood status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
In addition, the UN also has 3 regional buildings, one in Switzerland, in Austria, and in Kenya.
Is it not a bit ridiculous that the UN has 3 regional offices in the world and 2 are in close proximity to one another (Geneva, Switzerland and Vienna, Austria).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies