Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 08:54 PM

5,667 posts, read 5,101,026 times

Advertisements

Without an accurate, 100% voluntary and mandatory registry of who has what, how would such nonsense be enforced? And since Constitutional rights are being discarded, should veterans or other targeted groups also no longer be entitled to freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, and other freedoms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 12:41 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I have no problem with this. The mentally ill should not be allowed to own guns. The other day an elderly man in PA went to the store and ended up in Alabama. People with that kind of degraded mental ability have no need to own a gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Why in the world would you have a problem with this? If someone does not have the mental capacity to manage their finances, why should they own a gun?
#1, you guys are painting with too broad a brush. There are several reasons why someone might have their children or their spouse handle their finances. They aren't all "mentally ill"... I'll let you do the research on that if you are genuine in wanting a better understanding of the issue.

#2, we're talking about a Constitutional guarantee here. Does that mean nothing anymore? If a nameless, faceless, government bureaucrat can just decide you don't have a Constitutional Right anymore, then we have no Constitutional Rights at all. Where is the 5th Amendment Right to due process for these individuals? Yet another Constitutional Right that is being reduced to the ash bin.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I thought mental health was already a criteria. It certainly should be.

This is fake news anyway, because the article is 1.5 years old, and being sold as if it just happened.
It might be old, but it isn't "fake".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Exactly! Old news is NO news!
Affirmation of my belief that most Americans are swayed by the last headline they read....

Old 12-28-2016, 05:58 AM

31,293 posts, read 20,786,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If there is a remote possibility that they can do harm to others they shouldn't own a gun.

That would eliminate 99% of the population.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:01 AM

31,293 posts, read 20,786,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Without an accurate, 100% voluntary and mandatory registry of who has what, how would such nonsense be enforced? And since Constitutional rights are being discarded, should veterans or other targeted groups also no longer be entitled to freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, and other freedoms?
Good idea. I think all butt-hurt Hillary voters should be banned from owning a gun for at least a year. Most of them have become mentally unstable over this election, but it could subside in a year or so.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:12 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,665,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We do know that mentally ill people have acquired guns in the past, I will leave the definition up to others but we should take a conservative approach to who can own a gun. If there is a remote possibility that they can do harm to others they shouldn't own a gun. PTSD is a good example, the VA has deemed certain veterans that are mentally incompetent be prohibited from owning a gun.

As I said...PTSD covers a LOT. Not all PTSD is created equal. What a combat veteran experiences with it isn't what a rape victim or severe trauma victim gets. PTSD does not mean prone to violence. Seeing Charlie crawling in the bedroom window or waking up choking your lady from a waking nightmare. We've all heard the stereotypes. Sheesh, there's a remote chance the most pacifistic person on the planet could snap and become violent.

Violent people acquire guns and all manner of weapons every moment of every day. A violent , criminal nature is a mental illness, yes? Sure, it sounds great to say we are going to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, but it will never happen.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:19 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,328,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Good idea. I think all butt-hurt Hillary voters should be banned from owning a gun for at least a year. Most of them have become mentally unstable over this election, but it could subside in a year or so.
I think all people who use the term "butt-hurt" should be banned from owning guns entirely. They're clearly unstable if that's their "go-to" insult.

See? You can take this nonsense in SO many directions.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:37 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,965,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Why in the world would you have a problem with this? If someone does not have the mental capacity to manage their finances, why should they own a gun?
How many 80 yr old shootings have we had, versus 12-25 yr old shootings among, young gang members? Why has President Obama ignored gangs with guns and decided old people are more scary?

Old 12-28-2016, 09:05 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,894,402 times
Exclamation *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003
So now if you are receiving Social Security payments and have your child handling your finances, you no longer can own a gun. Thanks Obama for screwing the little people again.
If you think thats bad WAIT TILL TRUMP GETS IN!!!!!! -- He will really me$$ stuff up for the middle class!!! (Middle and lower)

NOTHING WORSE THAN HAVING A MILLIONAIRE IN CHARGE!!

Old 12-28-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
If you think thats bad WAIT TILL TRUMP GETS IN!!!!!! -- He will really me$$ stuff up for the middle class!!! (Middle and lower)

NOTHING WORSE THAN HAVING A MILLIONAIRE IN CHARGE!!
If it weren't for millionaires, people like you wouldn't have a job.

I think the left is under the impression that Factories and businesses just build themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies