Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 04:03 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
A secret organization in control of the currency and beholden to politicians and their friends, what could go wrong?
Who would you rather control it? You? The rabble?

I love the market, but let us understand, capitalism exists because it was useful to the state. Which is why the state created things like limited-liability corporations, and protects and promotes the interests of big-business against foreign competition.

Capitalism is a tool for greater state power. Which is why everywhere capitalism has ever existed, it has been a form of corporatism.

The Federal Reserve is just one more tool for providing American corporations a "competitive-advantage", and to provide "economic growth", through the various mechanisms of finance(mainly, the machinations of fictitious capital, and the corresponding top-down system it produces).

Capitalism does not exist to do good(unless good means the power and preservation of the state). If it does any good whatsoever, that is simply a happy-coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 05:25 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
It is a shame, really, that one of our greatest presidents, Jackson, gets bumped from the currency. Surely there is a better solution. Such is the symbolism of a symbolic presidency, though.
I'm conservative but have no love for Andrew Jackson. He defied the Supreme Court when he was told moving Native people to Oklahoma was unconstitutional. He just took his army and did it anyway. The Trail of Tears was in my opinion one of America's worst moments and he owns it, forcing several Native tribes to walk over 2000 miles, costing the lives of up to 6000 people most of which most were old people, and women and children. I can't respect nor admire such a person.

Last edited by marino760; 12-24-2016 at 05:39 PM..

Old 12-24-2016, 05:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm conservative but have no love for Andrew Jackson. He defied the Supreme Court when he was told moving Native people to Oklahoma was unconstitutional. He just took his army and did it anyway. The Trail of Tears was in my opinion one of America's worst moments and he owns it.

I'm Part Cherokee.... and that does not change the fact, the Federal Reserve, proved him to be right.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm Part Cherokee.... and that does not change the fact, the Federal Reserve, proved him to be right.
This is true, sorry I got off Topic.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:43 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
“If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks…will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered…. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.†– Thomas Jefferson in the debate over the Re-charter of the Bank Bill (1809)
Very true.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:17 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
I am sure there is a screw up, error in judgement, whatever in every president' portfolio. Looking for an excuse to take him off the twenty, the monetary crisis he precipitated in opposing the national bank is just easy justification. Washington almost lost the revolutionary war with his miscalculations in NY. He got lucky in NJ, because tactically his command screwed up. Shall we take him off the dollar?

Old 12-24-2016, 06:31 PM

Personally, I don't care if he's replaced with the cost of doing so not taken into consideration, but if so, I'd replace him with one of the Founders that hasn't been recognized as of yet on U.S. money. I'd only use Founding Fathers on U.S. currency period. I don't care if political correctness says otherwise.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:27 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
I'm conservative but have no love for Andrew Jackson. He defied the Supreme Court when he was told moving Native people to Oklahoma was unconstitutional. He just took his army and did it anyway. The Trail of Tears was in my opinion one of America's worst moments and he owns it, forcing several Native tribes to walk over 2000 miles, costing the lives of up to 6000 people most of which most were old people, and women and children. I can't respect nor admire such a person.
I have a love-hate relationship with just about every American leader in this country's history.

I would say the sins of Abraham Lincoln far exceed the sins of any other American in this country's history. Of course, Lincoln also had some virtues, such as "saving the union".

Which, at first glance seems kind of trivial. Or at worst, seems ludicrous to imagine a union being saved through war and conquest(which is why we insist on making Lincoln seem to be a crusader fighting to end slavery, true or not).

The true driving force of Abraham Lincoln, was to preserve and expand American military, economic, and political power. And we wouldn't be the world's only superpower, had he not ruthlessly waged war against the south.

We likely would have fallen completely apart, after a precedent was set, that any portion of the union, or the confederacy, could leave at will.

Andrew Jackson's actions were intended to expand the power of the United States, through seizure of important lands, which would then be exploited for economic growth, to provide greater resources for our growing empire.

Andrew Jackson wasn't the only one to seize lands from the natives, and expel them to other parts of the country. Lincoln's armies were charged with "clearing the West", so that he could build the transcontinental railroad(IE the Pacific Railway Act of 1862).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Railroad_Acts

Which meant the native tribes of the West, would either be killed or captured, and then relocated to places like Oklahoma, or to reservations. Go read about what Lincon's general, William Tecumseh Sherman, did to the Plains-Indians after the Civil War.

Out of hundreds of so-called American statesmen, I can only name a few who weren't total scumbags.

Andrew Jackson, like a clock, was right twice a day. And as my friend used to say, "take good advice, regardless of who it comes from".

Old 12-25-2016, 02:37 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Actually, Jackson was a Dem, not a conservative, very much in the Jefferson populist mold. Some say the father of today's Democratic Party. I agree about the trial tears. It was terrible. He also lead fights in Florida against the Seminoles and Spanish, which led the way for Florida being transferred from Spain to the U.S. Clearing the way for today's New England, Northeastern and Canadian retirees. He led the defeat of the Brits in New Orleans. He was the first president to deal with secession, successfully, in preventing SC from seceding. Without bloodshed. He was a slave owner, corrupt politician. Yet he was directly responsible for pushing the U.S. boundaries west. Shall we return Tejas to the Mexican government.

I believe that men are products of their times. Not inherently good, nor evil. Because a man conforms to his times, (the U.S. in the first fifty years was avaricious in the pursuit of Manifest Destiny), is a fact of life. How far back do you suggest we go to rail on humanity, time in memoriam?

Quote:

Old 12-26-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Actually, Jackson was a Dem, not a conservative, very much in the Jefferson populist mold. Some say the father of today's Democratic Party. I agree about the trial tears. It was terrible. He also lead fights in Florida against the Seminoles and Spanish, which led the way for Florida being transferred from Spain to the U.S. Clearing the way for today's New England, Northeastern and Canadian retirees. He led the defeat of the Brits in New Orleans. He was the first president to deal with secession, successfully, in preventing SC from seceding. Without bloodshed. He was a slave owner, corrupt politician. Yet he was directly responsible for pushing the U.S. boundaries west. Shall we return Tejas to the Mexican government.

I believe that men are products of their times. Not inherently good, nor evil. Because a man conforms to his times, (the U.S. in the first fifty years was avaricious in the pursuit of Manifest Destiny), is a fact of life. How far back do you suggest we go to rail on humanity, time in memoriam?
OK, now I'll bite even though this has become off topic. The Trail Of Tears was without a doubt one of the most horrific things done to Natives in mass IMO and could have been avoided saving the lives of up to 6000 people. But let's put all that aside.
Regardless, it's the fact that Jackson thought himself above the law and anointed himself dictator in order to do this speaks volume about this man.
He not only thought it was the best thing to do, but disregarded the Supreme Court and did it anyway. He obviously didn't have any respect for our 3 branches of government and did what he wanted to like any good dictator would have done.
Imagine today if the Supreme Court ruled something unconstitutional that a President and or Congress wanted to do and the current President took the army and did it anyway by force.
That's what sets Andrew Jackson apart. Not the fact that he expanded westward or in any other direction. Yes, men were the products of their times, but he basically tore up the Constitution in order to do what he wanted to. He made one of the branches of government irrelevant to suite his needs.

Last edited by marino760; 12-26-2016 at 06:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies