Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 08:26 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That is correct. And if anyone thinks conservatives don't also use public transportation, just stand outside the Metra (commuter rail) station closest to Fenwick HS (Catholic) in Oak Park, IL on a school day morning and watch the students from everywhere in the Chicago area disembark.
lol No one said or remotely implied conservatives don't use it. You just made that up. try harder next time, lol

Old 12-25-2016, 08:31 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol No one said or remotely implied conservatives don't use it. You just made that up. try harder next time, lol
You haven't read the thread.

Look at the thread title.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:34 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,666,585 times
Hopefully public (bus) transportation totally changes in 5 years. Right now you are forced to a fixed time schedule that might not be to your liking, along a fixed route that probably isn't what you need.

You have to wait out in the elements for it to arrive and you are forced to interact with the lowest people on economic food chain, which means lots of crime, etc.

But there's a solution soon at hand. Autonomous vehicles. Vehicles that you summon to take you from place A to pace B. That will pick you up exactly where you want, and when you want. Will drop you off and then drive themselves to some charging spot to wait their next job. And pick you up when you are ready.

No need to give up your personal security.

Right now most of the autonomous vehicles are regular cars. I'd like to see more of a move to commuter-type vehicles somewhat like the Google self driving car.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:38 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Does public transportation lead to density? Or does density lead to public transportation?
Both.

The key is the system must make sense. You and I know that cities that do it right are the ones that are taking cars off the streets, the ones that are doing it wrong are approaching it as a tourist attraction.

Basically, go big or fail.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:38 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
You haven't read the thread.
Yes I have. You don't have the ability to understand. That's on you, not me.

Quote:
Look at the thread title.
I did. You have a point? Again no one is saying conservatives don't use public transportation, it's been about the cost and efficiency. how in the world do you not understand that? Twisted, agenda driven blinders make it hard to see?

Old 12-25-2016, 08:50 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
The elephant in the room which hasn't yet been mentioned is that various state legislatures, as well as Congress, raided the Highway Trust Funds for other projects with the promise to pay the borrowing back "later".

"Later" is now.

As a note, the same process was done with pensions and Social Security. "Later" is now for those too.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:01 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Hopefully public (bus) transportation totally changes in 5 years. Right now you are forced to a fixed time schedule that might not be to your liking, along a fixed route that probably isn't what you need.

You have to wait out in the elements for it to arrive and you are forced to interact with the lowest people on economic food chain, which means lots of crime, etc.

But there's a solution soon at hand. Autonomous vehicles. Vehicles that you summon to take you from place A to pace B. That will pick you up exactly where you want, and when you want. Will drop you off and then drive themselves to some charging spot to wait their next job. And pick you up when you are ready.

No need to give up your personal security.

Right now most of the autonomous vehicles are regular cars. I'd like to see more of a move to commuter-type vehicles somewhat like the Google self driving car.
We have cabs and Uber now.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:58 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
If a city wanted to take me off the street, they would succeed by getting me to move somewhere else.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:20 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
If it is done smartly...and with an eye on the fact that most people wanna drive their vehicles to get around.

Buses are the most economical and most flexible form of public transportation.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:53 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Or the gas tax would have to be raised significantly to cover the costs of roads, bridges and tunnels. I am in favor of users paying the full costs, whether it's be public transportation users or drivers. However, that would have to be coupled with a decrease in general taxes or people won't be able to afford it.

Trucks pay only a fraction of the cost of the damage they do to roads.
Too Big for The Road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies