Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2016, 05:55 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Russia's QOL crashed along with the rest of Europe's, as a result of WWI and again--WWII. American industrialists (Henry Ford, Armand Hammar) helped Lenin get the economy back on its feet as partners in his New Economic Plan (NEP), which Stalin put and end to. After WWII, the US offered Stalin assistance under the Marshal Plan, but he turned it down. The USSR's QOL is of its own making. Nothing ever stopped Russia's neighbors in Western Europe from trading with Russia.
I am not talking about the USSR, I am talking about modern Russia - and not only Russia. Belarus and Cuba also. The USA imposed sanctions on both of these countries, and most recently on Russia too. I've had my career pretty much ruined because of them - something I will never forget or forgive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 06:42 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Obama and Clinton used this to try to divert from the real problems, Obama and Clinton. I thought it was pretty low to try to revive the long past Cold War just to try to win votes, but as know, there isn't anything those two wouldn't do for a vote.
That was my thought, HRC and her fellow democrats thought, hey, we need votes, so let's attempt to create "cold war 2.0" and make sure we create a big scary Russia. Some threats are very real, some are partially real....and some are pretty much bogus. Fear is the biggest, fastest and most effective motivator known to the human race. Do you think perhaps those in power, who have their own ulterior motives, haven't figured this out ?

I'm not saying Russia doesn't do bad things, or that we need to trust them implicitly by any means, but it was quite obvious to me that this is exactly what has been happened recently. HRC has been saber rattling with Russia, and this idea of creating a "no-fly" zone over Syria is exactly the best way to cause a huge and immediate war type situation with Russia.

This isn't a partisan opinion I have, it's simply what is. Whether it's the right, or the left, they both need a boogeyman to scare the populace with.

Last edited by jasper1372; 12-26-2016 at 07:35 AM..

Old 12-26-2016, 06:57 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
The Right has shown it affinity to One man rule. Putin is the perfect example. Nutty Don is the Rights dream that this will happen in the US. Our trolling buddies will point this out time after time.

Putin has done what other's could not. He has used fascist methods to take a weak country under one man rule and needs to maintain that. He is now more dangerous then ever as his nation is suffering under weak oil prices. Rulers of one have a historical tendency to over reach and use wars to keep population feeling good about its leader.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:19 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,842,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
Here in the United States, politicians and news/radio commentators don't talk of annexing Canada, Mexico, or other countries. In Germany, politicians and news/radio commentators don't talk of annexing France, Austria, Belgium, etc. In contrast, in Russia, politicians and news/radio commentators openly talk of annexing countries like Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, and even Finland, to get their land and resources and restore the "glory" of the USSR.
I am fluent in Russian, and I'm watching russian news very often. And I NEVER heard such things from a serious politician, member of russian government or TV/radio commentator. The only man who could say that is V.Zhirinovsky. But he is held away from the russian authorities and nobody takes his word seriously. He is a clown like John McCain, or even worse.

Quote:
The Russian FSB would create unrest in the Baltic states and then the Russians would invade to restore "order."
BS. Russia has no plan to invade a country. And you confused FSB with CIA.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I can't provide names or citations. My direct knowledge of the region is nearly 10 years out of date. But I am told by friends and former colleagues who work in the field that this remains a minority view popular among certain segments of the population and it can be seen today on various Russian message boards. For example, I'm told that there is ongoing speculation on Russian message boards about what Putin might do (re: annexation) in various circumstances. I don't doubt that it is a minority view within the country but the fact that it is discussed at all is telling, at least to me, because it implies that Russians are being conditioned to accept such potential future action.
Wow! Any speculations on a message boards or forums are not serious thing at all. Those speculations have nothing to do with the real russian foreign policy. Again, Russia (Putin) has no plan to invade or annex a country.

Last edited by musiqum; 12-26-2016 at 07:47 AM..

Old 12-26-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The CIA was probably involved, but even if they weren't there is no doubting the fact that an elected pro-Russia president was overthrown in a coup. American politicians and mainstream media, in the months afterward, spoke as if this had never occurred and the militants who seized power were the democratically elected ones.
This coup was orchestrated by CIA and committed with the help of USAID. Victoria Nuland admitted that "we spent 5 billion dollars" for the revolution. And militants who seized power were NOT the democratically elected ones.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:13 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
This coup was orchestrated by CIA and committed with the help of USAID. Victoria Nuland admitted that "we spent 5 billion dollars" for the revolution. And militants who seized power were NOT the democratically elected ones.
Yes indeed.

It was a complete disaster that backfired spectacularly in Obama's face.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The better question is. Why would you think they are our friends???
They embrace Russia and communism because Trump does. Follow the leader.

Russia has been, and still is, the biggest reason we invest so heavily in our military and NATO, and in recent years Russia has been acting increasingly hostile.

Luckily the Congress is more sober about the threat, and some (like Lindsay Graham (R) are asking for more sanctions against Russia.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-26-2016 at 08:39 AM..

Old 12-26-2016, 08:29 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Why do hard core leftists, those left who still think Hillary won election and believe Obama is best president ever, think Russia is the United States enemy?
probably for the same reasons some ultra-right wingers think russia is the enemy -- the cold war.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:43 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Perhaps, rather than asking people on an internet forum, why Russia is a threat, you might want to read a few books on Russia in modern history.
I have. That is why I asked the question of the OP. This should be obvious.

The bigger question is this. If you are so knowledgeable, then why don't you answer the OP instead of making personal attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies