Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 02:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Like I said --- take your head out of the liberal sand and open your eyes.......
SMH...why in the hell would blacks wanna be "equals" to conservatives? Why are conservatives someone to be equal to?

I mean really...Conservatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 07:31 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
If MLK were alive today, you would hate his guts. Along with the rest of America.
If MLK were alive today, we'd all benefit from an honest, no bs accounting of the Civil Rights Movement. A significant & often missing piece is how the Conservative Movement of his time & the CRM were (are still) related:

Quote:
...These two political movements were not, as conceived, antagonists. In its formative years the conservative movement was preoccupied with defeating international communism and reversing the New Deal, while the civil rights movement existed to end Jim Crow. Neither objective required opposing, or even noticing, the other. The elaboration of each movement's premises, however, quickly turned them into adversaries. ...
The corollary was that conservatism opposed the civil rights agenda when it called for or depended on Big Government.
Quote:
"We frown on any effort of the Negroes to attain social equality by bending the instrument of the state to their purposes," Buckley wrote in 1960: But we applaud the efforts to define their rights by the lawful and non-violent use of social and economic sanctions which they choose freely to exert, and to which those against whom they are exerted are free to respond, or not, depending on what is in balance. That way is legitimate, organic progress.
This opposition to Big Government engendered conservative opposition to every milestone achievement of the civil rights movement. National Review denounced Brown v. Board of Education (1954), calling it "an act of judicial usurpation," one that ran "patently counter to the intent of the Constitution" and was "shoddy and illegal in analysis, and invalid as sociology." It opposed the 1964 Civil Rights Act and 1965 Voting Rights Act on similar grounds.

Civil Rights and the Conservative Movement - WSJ

The two movements still exist in the present day, history rhymes.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:19 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I highly doubt it. Most would just go through that money and have nothing to show for it in the long run, just like most lottery winners end up broke.

That was one idea, what else does the black community want politicians to do specifically for them?

Jobs? Unemployment is low now, why is it higher in the black community and what, specifically, does the black community want government, Democrat or Republican, to do about that?
Let's say most would blow the money, millions of black people wouldn't. They would invest the money and begin building businesses. These businesses would in turn hire black people, which of course will cause our unemployment to drop significantly.

So what else? I would like to see more funding toward HBCUs. Black people have a better track record of success after graduating from these schools, so democrats should invest there. Of course while we're here, also invest more into majority black schools on the elementary, middle, and high school level. I constantly hear how money is already being poured into these schools more than any other, yet any time I walk into a black school, it looks like crap compared to most majority white schools. So I know that is a lie. If more money is spent on these inner city schools, it definitely doesn't look that way at all.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:01 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
Quote:
Republicans appointed.......well before a black had been appointed to a democrat cabinet position
Republicans appointed the first black man as Secretary of Defense
Republicans appointed the first black Supreme Court Judge
FOX news hired the first black reporters and commentators well before CNN and MSNBC
Didn't know Johnson (Robert Weaver) and Carter (Patricia Harris) were Republicans
Didn't know any Brotha or Sista was an SOD
Didn't know Lyndon Johnson was Republican (Thurgood Marshall)
Didn't know ABC News, Mal Goode and Max Robinson never existed!

Old 12-26-2016, 11:12 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
As someone who has grown up in, and acknowledges, the hypocrisy of the so-called liberal left (the segregated NYC public school system treating its kids of color like crap!), one does ask what better solutions the so-called conservative right have! And don't say charter schools, vouchers and choice, because them solutions are not magical and perfect, either.....!

Old 12-26-2016, 11:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
As someone who has grown up in, and acknowledges, the hypocrisy of the so-called liberal left (the segregated NYC public school system treating its kids of color like crap!), one does ask what better solutions the so-called conservative right have! And don't say charter schools, vouchers and choice, because them solutions are not magical and perfect, either.....!
Their solution is to get us to vote Republican, while they forget about blacks and stab us in the back. They can no more be trusted than the liberal left that they calumniate can be.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:43 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,480 times
First, tl;dr.

Second, what have conservatives done for Black people? Answer: not a damn thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I don't know why black people don't listen to us white people.
Because if we listened to whites, we'd be led into the slaughterhouse.

Quote:
Republicans appointed the first black woman SOS -- well before a black had been appointed to a democrat cabinet position
Republicans appointed the first black woman as presidential National Security Advisor
Republicans appointed the first black man as Secretary of Defense
Republicans appointed the first black man as SOS
Republicans appointed the first black Supreme Court Judge
FOX news hired the first black reporters and commentators well before CNN and MSNBC
FOX Business hired the first black business commentator
The head of the RNC was black (Michael Steele) -- the DNC has never had a black leader
Trump hired a black woman as one of his top executives for years
Etc etc etc etc

Conservatives don't see blacks as victims always needing handouts. Conservatives see blacks as equals.
Conservatives don't think blacks are too stupid to get voter ID.
Last few statements = bull. Conservatives see Black people as N-words like these so-called "liberals" (the ones who claim to be liberal).

Don't address us as "blacks", either. We're human beings.

Better yet, I'll make a deal; you stop addressing Black people as "blacks" and I'll stop referring to white people as "whites." This applies to the majority of Caucasian users in this forum. If you keep addressing us as though we're inanimate objects and not people, the deal is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo
This in a nutshell.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:50 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Their solution is to get us to vote Republican, while they forget about blacks and stab us in the back. They can no more be trusted than the liberal left that they calumniate can be.
This is how I feel when I hear someone say "Blacks should vote Republican". It is not really about making sure that I'm looked after or do well. This is about getting someone else's candidate in office.

I remember having a a discussion with someone, and it turned political. She was basically trying to convince me of why I should vote Republican. I pulled up stuff to show why I wasn't convinced. She wrote it off as "not reliable", despite having the sources listed. She later accused me of "being angry" in another discussion, the very minute my voice inflection even slightly went up. Meanwhile, she got loud with another person who agreed with her, as they both loudly discussed a subject they agreed on. This guy had a thundery voice compared to me and was bigger than me. Yet, I was the one who got accused of being angry.

What I got from the discussion. She didn't care about me. She just wanted the candidates of her choosing to get in office. This is not the first time someone who basically tried to nudge me towards their own political leaning. A woman who did some work with the Republican Party tried this, amidst some unrelated business we were doing. A guy was trying to convince me to vote for Trump. I didn't want to talk about politics with him and told him how divisive it is. He seemed to like talking about politics. He said it was something exciting to talk about. I was sort of cajoled into explaining why I wouldn't vote for him. He started asking me questions, as if he was oblivious to what was in the news. I had to pull up sources to show him where I was coming from. After even sources he would describe as the least biased confirmed some of what I was saying, he basically looked at it this way. According to him, I shouldn't take it personal because "NYC culture is like that, brash, say whatever you think".

I feel like some people are just desperate to have "their candidate" in office and see it as their business to make sure that people like you and me vote for the candidate that they want.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:17 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Let's say most would blow the money, millions of black people wouldn't. They would invest the money and begin building businesses. These businesses would in turn hire black people, which of course will cause our unemployment to drop significantly.

So what else? I would like to see more funding toward HBCUs. Black people have a better track record of success after graduating from these schools, so democrats should invest there. Of course while we're here, also invest more into majority black schools on the elementary, middle, and high school level. I constantly hear how money is already being poured into these schools more than any other, yet any time I walk into a black school, it looks like crap compared to most majority white schools. So I know that is a lie. If more money is spent on these inner city schools, it definitely doesn't look that way at all.
The money is there but it is the school board & super intendants that's stealing the money. I know 2 schools in the urban community where I have family and the money has been raised to upgrade the dated school and 2 yrs later, nothing still has been done and they actually admitted the funding is available but it's going to take time.

Take time for what? Why hasn't the repairs already started and it's 2 yrs later and still nothing? Because they are stealing and pocketing the resources because they know there is nothing anyone is going to do as they are financially forced to accept the conditions.

However in the White schools parents raise money, programs provide funding, etc. and they do what they're suppose to do with the money and put it into the schools and educational programs. They don't steal and hurt their communities, they invest in their communities that's the difference. You have Blacks that are sitting at the table that are a detriment to their own community but since they are "Black" no one says anything when it is their own people that are oppressing them.

I don't know any successful Blacks that are Democrats.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:28 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
The money is there but it is the school board & super intendants that's stealing the money. I know 2 schools in the urban community where I have family and the money has been raised to upgrade the dated school and 2 yrs later, nothing still has been done and they actually admitted the funding is available but it's going to take time.

Take time for what? Why hasn't the repairs already started and it's 2 yrs later and still nothing? Because they are stealing and pocketing the resources because they know there is nothing anyone is going to do as they are financially forced to accept the conditions.

However in the White schools parents raise money, programs provide funding, etc. and they do what they're suppose to do with the money and put it into the schools and educational programs. They don't steal and hurt their communities, they invest in their communities that's the difference. You have Blacks that are sitting at the table that are a detriment to their own community but since they are "Black" no one says anything when it is their own people that are oppressing them.

I don't know any successful Blacks that are Democrats.

I agree. There are black people on the school board who are nothing but puppets, and are really there just for themselves. My father goes and participates in every school board meeting in my area, and he confirms they don't listen to his nor anyone else's ideas on how to improve the schools in the community. Perhaps more pressure could be put on the administrators by the community, but it's a shame they ignore the betterment of children overall who will grow up as the next generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies