Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 08:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
yes and the uninformed appear to have a near masochistic attitude to the wealthy

i cant think of any other country where the poor ( ish ) demand they take a hit so the wealthy dont have to but its the only rational explanation as to why anyone earning an average wage would vote GOP
The left has supported that for years under Obama.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:04 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I said "not much."

Why can't we just have a flat tax? Higher income earners would still be WAY overpaying for what they get even with a flat tax.
I'd be interested if somebody put up a reasonable policy, but so far it's mired in "you can do your taxes on a postcard" nonsense. If somebody actually went up with a decent proposal to do something about it, then it would get deserved attention. At least IMO. Nobody likes the IRS.

A consistent problem in countries that do flat rates is with deductions, generally entities deduct far more than individuals can. So what's the incentive? My personal expenses become my business expenses and less revenue is collected.

The other is that smart people don't work for income, they earn income passively and pay the 1/2 top marginal capital gains rate for their income. I'd be curious how that would be addressed in such a proposal as the incentives built in actually encourage people to invest in start ups and the like.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:08 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
USA has the highest corporate tax rate and shares this level of rate with developing countries with a high level of poverty.
A high corporate tax rate that`s easily ignored. The "effective tax rate" is lower than Japan, Germany, Canada and China.
10 Giant Loopholes That Businesses Use To Dodge Taxes - Business Insider

Old 12-26-2016, 08:08 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This only lists federal income tax rate. There are other taxes as well.
Apparently, you can't read. The chart includes taxes other than federal income tax.

Quote:
Also, it should be noted that many wealthy and profitable corporations pay no federal taxes at all.
If that were actually true, how could the average effective tax rate by income group be so uneven?

Hint: It's NOT true.

Hint 2: A LIBERAL organization is responsible for the chart's compiled data: Tax Policy Center.

STOP believing lies. It just makes you look stupid.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:10 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
yes and the uninformed appear to have a near masochistic attitude to the wealthy

i cant think of any other country where the poor ( ish ) demand they take a hit so the wealthy dont have to but its the only rational explanation as to why anyone earning an average wage would vote GOP
Religion is a big part of it, specifically the Protestant Work Ethic.

Many of our poor people believe they will be rewarded with that Pie In The Sky When You Die if they are good obedient workers. "Thou shalt not covet" says their holy text. Coveting is understood to mean desiring anything that one hasn't "worked for," including a fair tax code, safe work environment, safe food/water/drugs, a modern healthcare system like every other modern democracy, etc.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I'd be interested if somebody put up a reasonable policy, but so far it's mired in "you can do your taxes on a postcard" nonsense. If somebody actually went up with a decent proposal to do something about it, then it would get deserved attention. At least IMO. Nobody likes the IRS.

A consistent problem in countries that do flat rates is with deductions, generally entities deduct far more than individuals can. So what's the incentive? My personal expenses become my business expenses and less revenue is collected.

The other is that smart people don't work for income, they earn income passively and pay the 1/2 top marginal capital gains rate for their income. I'd be curious how that would be addressed in such a proposal as the incentives built in actually encourage people to invest in start ups and the like.
You complain about making taxes easy and then complain about the things that make it complicated.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:14 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You complain about making taxes easy and then complain about the things that make it complicated.
I have no idea what you are getting at.

I'm saying the taxes can't be easy because life is complicated and smart people get around easy stuff.

Instead of looking at it black and white, look at it as how does it actually address everything that goes on? The tax code is what it is for a lot of reasons and a big part is that smart people do everything they can not to pay it and do so through complicated schemes that are complicated to address.

Trump's tax returns are a product of complicated working around the code that it didn't address until many years later.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Ive covered long ago my distaste of discussing your contempt for those struggling more than once.
Contempt? Why would I have contempt for those who have a pension or retirement account?

However, I DO think it's inexcusable to give $2 Trillion in QE to tens of thousands of people in the form of free homes when they're 5 years or more behind on their mortgage payments. All the rest of us are paying an inflation tax on that, as the $2 Trillion in QE used for that purpose devalued the US Dollar.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:22 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I agree with the above with the exception of Dancing-With-the-Stars Rick Perry. I read where he is slated to head up the Dept. of Energy. This was the department he wanted to eliminate if he could only remember the name of it. The guy is dim bulb, no real argument on that. He will be overseeing our nuclear power plants.

Scott Pruitt, fossil fuel industry buddy, is on tap for EPA with the able assistance of Myron Ebell, a man who does not believe in climate change or that pesticides are harmful.

I know. So little of this makes sense, that it's hard to keep it all straight.
Thank you for the clarification on the dept's.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

A consistent problem in countries that do flat rates is with deductions, generally entities deduct far more than individuals can.
Why do you believe entities shouldn't be able to deduct the cost of overhead from revenue?

Example:

An entity takes in $1 million in revenue, but pays $750,000 in costs for paying employees, buying raw materials to produce their product, etc.

Should they be taxed on the $1 million they get in revenue? Or the $250,000 they've earned in profits?

Quote:
The other is that smart people don't work for income, they earn income passively and pay the 1/2 top marginal capital gains rate for their income.
And anyone can do that.

The bottom line is the effective tax rate chart wouldn't be so uneven according to income if the higher income earners weren't taxed much more oppressively than everyone else. Like I said, look at the HUGE drop in the effective federal income tax rate between the top 1% and the next income group, the top 2-5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies