Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 07:19 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,886,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Happened all over America Thank God, as GOP added during last 10 years, over one dozen governors, 900 statewide seats, and several dozen Congressmen and Senators.

They now hold more power than they have since 1928. It's as if a giant Raid can wiped out the Democrats in office.
1928? Hooverville redux.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 07:32 PM

33,822 posts, read 16,841,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
1928? Hooverville redux.

It's the Democrats committing suicide, and since I hate the DNC mindset, I will enjoy watching them do just that.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:35 PM

13,234 posts, read 9,849,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Happened all over America Thank God, as GOP added during last 10 years, over one dozen governors, 900 statewide seats, and several dozen Congressmen and Senators.

They now hold more power than they have since 1928. It's as if a giant Raid can wiped out the Democrats in office.
That doesn't explain why there's only malls and Walmarts in this deep red part of Tennessee I'm Christmassing in at the moment. No Main St here.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:44 PM

33,822 posts, read 16,841,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That doesn't explain why there's only malls and Walmarts in this deep red part of Tennessee I'm Christmassing in at the moment. No Main St here.

Having lived in Nashville MTSA 17 years, we had several Main St style roads with other names. With a mix of big box and local stores, both doing quite well.

Our unemployment was amazingly low, as we welcomed both blue and white collar jobs. Had a ton of auto related manufacturing jobs, and , concurrently, Nashville now has moie UBS jobs than Stamford, Ct.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:15 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,328,980 times
Want to sound like an idiot? Go ahead and try and categorize mass groups of people under a simple to use name like "liberal" or "conservative" as if it is some dirty word.

I realize simple minded folk need their neat little categories so they can hate easier but it makes you sound like an idiot.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:40 PM

21,400 posts, read 10,475,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlatter View Post
I'm a left leaner and I honestly don't hate trade workers, just as long as they're doing jobs machines can't do.

Construction workers will always be needed. Housing is in huge demand with a growing population and housing prices are out of control.

Oil is still very much needed, but will start to get pricier as it becomes harder and more complicated to extract.

Coal, though, is truly a dying industry. One thing I'm looking forward to is the cheaper availability of solar panels that will put that industry out for good. It will happen.

Truck drivers? They will be automated out, I can guarantee it. The truck drivers association (or whatever they're called) will fight it tooth and nail, but will lose in the long term. Europe is already moving towards automated vehicles.
What happens when most jobs are jobs machines can do? What are you going to do then? Your attitude is pretty arrogant, since one day in the not too distant future machines will be able to do just about everything, including construction. What happens to the people then? A minimum income won't be a great solution because people need to be productive.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:02 PM

29,452 posts, read 16,371,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Make up your minds. I thought libs were all unemployed looking for handouts. Now we're in white collar jobs in ivory towers ordering Amazon all day and peering down at the great unwashed.

Whichever, it's ridiculous either way.
I swear.

in one thread, liberals are all unemployed, in the next, we are all "worker bees" with no drive to move up in life, in the next, we are all middle to upper management and dont care about the little guy, in the next, we are all in academia and dont know what the rest of the world is like.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:01 PM

51,584 posts, read 25,589,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I swear.

in one thread, liberals are all unemployed, in the next, we are all "worker bees" with no drive to move up in life, in the next, we are all middle to upper management and dont care about the little guy, in the next, we are all in academia and dont know what the rest of the world is like.
Must be static on Radio Free Imbecile tonight.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:05 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,059,249 times
Why do liberals look down on people that eat, breathe, and sleep? LOL

Whatever.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:17 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,058,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
UC Berkeley Touts $15 Wage Law, Then Fires Hundreds After It Passe | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD

I think it is how the ultra-liberal and leftist UC Berkeley advocated for a 15 dollar an hour for every employee and then fired many of those same employees.

I can only imagine how it felt when the liberals said they are going to raise their wage to $15/hr and then fired them so they would have a wage of $0/hr.

I am sure with less janitors that were laid off because of the minimum wage increase that it makes the environment ripe for an outbreak of contagious illness.

I think it is going to be interesting when states like California restaurants are trying to run them with a tiny crew and are cross-contaminating because they are struggling with half the staffing they should be. I think it will be more and more from workers to go from raw chicken to salad if they are in rush because of extremely low staffing as opposed to if they paid a little less and had double amount of employees.
The very wealthy have been selling that story for a long time, every time minimum wages age has been raised in the last couple of decades, but mass disruption of the workforce has not come to pass.
Working class people tend to spend all of their income, which puts dollars back into our economy. When a billionaire like one of the Walton kids gets a "raise" in terms of bigger profits, they stash it in a Swiss bank where it helps no one but them and the bank.

Not to say that there isn't short term pain for small businesses, but in the past increased business due to more money circulating IN THE LOCAL community, has offset some of these losses. A rising tide raises all boats, but the tide has to be in your community and not a Swiss bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies