Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 02:20 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times

Advertisements

The federal government should insist that every employer and landlord check for warrants for overdue child support payments.

There are so many men out there going from women to women getting them pregnant because they know that the system is so lax they can just walk away and let taxpayer pay every penny.

These guys who are players with multiple children and letting the taxpayer pay the bills should be behind bars not increasing taxes and burdening the system with more children.

So many men getting a free ride out there on an issue that would be so easy to resolve.

It would be nice if they had a federal database like e-verify that landlords and employer can check for men who owe back child support. They should be required to immediately contact the police and the police should be required to put the men in jail until they pay for the past child support in full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 02:28 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
how does that work again?

Throw 'em in JAIL until the back child support is paid in full... ??? how much does sitting in jail PAY these days??

Old 12-26-2016, 02:28 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
I understand the majority are men (many of my friends are single mothers) but also women (I know of one who left the country leaving behind a single father).

No reason it should be a database specific to men.

I have no respect for people who abandon their children... they are dead to me. I think the law needs to be enhanced to make their lives difficult. However, I also realize that there are logistics and practical factors involved.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:29 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
How is that a valid role of the fed guv? If it ran such a base it would be full of errors anyway.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:30 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Doesn't states keep databases?

Old 12-26-2016, 02:33 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
It just needs to be easier to enforce. Winning Child Support and collecting it are two different things.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:34 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I understand the majority are men (many of my friends are single mothers) but also women (I know of one who left the country leaving behind a single father).

No reason it should be a database specific to men.

I have no respect for people who abandon their children... they are dead to me. I think the law needs to be enhanced to make their lives difficult. However, I also realize that there are logistics and practical factors involved.
Maybe no national database has been established, because the majority in legislative bodies are men.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:47 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Not just guys. Some women refuse to pay child support even tho ordered to do so by the courts.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:49 PM

88,565 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It just needs to be easier to enforce. Winning Child Support and collecting it are two different things.
You don't "win" child support. I told my lawyer I didn't want to bother because my soon-to-be ex would never pay it anyway. I just wanted to be rid of him and that alone would make for a financial improvement.

Lawyer said it was not my choice to make. The state requires that both parents support children and the amount each pays depends on a formula based on income. Great, he wouldn't work--one of the major problems ending our marriage.

So I sat through the court charade where he whined to the judge that he couldn't pay child support because he was unemployed, and the judge said too bad, pay $50 a week till you become employed and then we can revisit. OF COURSE he didn't pay.

Eventually he pulled himself together and I got a few bucks occasionally tossed my way. But I didn't count on it. Enforcing it through the court system would have enraged him, and my dd was finally getting some time with a dad who got it through his head through the court system that he couldn't be drunk around her, and that was more important to me than angering him over money and maybe destroying their relationship if he flipped out over a request for support.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:28 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Keep it at a state level.... the Fed has enough on their plate to screw up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies