Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2020, 11:03 AM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

I started thinking about this with the online DNC convention and the GOP one that will at least be similar to that. Also with this pandemic making lots of people switch over to doing things from home.

And I get there are constitutional issues with such an idea. I am not wanting to take away anyone's right to speak or campaign. Just take the money aspect out of it. Back in the early days of our country they would just have to go out there and stump. Now we have the internet.

What if candidates simply had an online presence? A location where they can state their case. No fundraising events. No corporate or union donors. No PAC's or SUPER PAC's. A very small budget that anyone who qualified to be on the ballot can use.

Speeches? It all can be done online. No robo calls. No advertising. No bandit signs in yards. Seriously who has decided to change their vote because their neighbor down the street has a sign in the yard? How many have changed their vote because of a robo call or TV commercial?

And without the undue influence of PACS and deep pocket donors we might actually get a better group of individuals elected. Which is why I like this idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 11:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I agree completely. I don't know anyone that ever voted because the candidate had a nice sign, or an interesting TV commercial. I have actually voted against loal candidates because I was fed up with their robocalls and door flyers. It's a big waste of money, and ensures that only rich folks can get elected, because they have rich friends that donate.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:05 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
This will NEVER happen. I think if the average American realized how much "corporate funds" are made available to politicians over a certain level, they'd be stunned. These funds are available to key politicians during their development phase, active phase and retirement phase of their careers. Basically most of them are bought and sold to represent not the interests of their constituents but corporate interests instead.

This methodology is how the 1% control the world. Conversely, we all wish this wasn't the case and politicians were looking after our best interests but that's usually not how politics works.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
This will NEVER happen. I think if the average American realized how much "corporate funds" are made available to politicians over a certain level, they'd be stunned. These funds are available to key politicians during their development phase, active phase and retirement phase of their careers. Basically most of them are bought and sold to represent not the interests of their constituents but corporate interests instead.

This methodology is how the 1% control the world. Conversely, we all wish this wasn't the case and politicians were looking after our best interests but that's usually not how politics works.
I am not quite that pessimistic. But it is sad that 99% of the people allow themselves to be controlled by the 1%. But people have to wake up and stop thinking its the other party that is the problem and their side really cares about them. They have to realize the whole political system is the problem.

I started a thread about some of the PPP money went directly to families of politicians in Washington. I listed half DEM and half GOP examples and most of the replaces were partisan. They were upset about the other side getting the money but seemed fine if it was someone from their party.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree completely. I don't know anyone that ever voted because the candidate had a nice sign, or an interesting TV commercial. I have actually voted against loal candidates because I was fed up with their robocalls and door flyers. It's a big waste of money, and ensures that only rich folks can get elected, because they have rich friends that donate.

I have done the same thing with local races. You will see the same TV commercial every commercial break from the same candidate. I hit a breaking point and simply will not vote for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies