Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:17 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,776,855 times

Advertisements

The war on drugs is a total failure. Our government has been fighting this war for 80 years and it's been a total disaster. Legalization can help.
-------------------
The Mexican drug cartels are finally meeting their match as a wave of cannabis legalization efforts drastically reshapes the drug trafficking landscape in the United States. It turns out that as states legalize cannabis use and cultivation,the volume of weed brought across the border by Mexican drug cartels dramatically decreases — and is putting a dent in their cash flow.

Legalizing Cannabis Has Done What A Trillion Dollars and the 40 Year Drug War Couldn’t | Think About Now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 03:24 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,244,033 times
It will be a start.

The cartels might shift production to other drugs, but no matter what, it will still put a dent in their wallets.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:29 PM

29,856 posts, read 24,972,157 times
Busting pot heads is gravy work for law enforcement. They are usually non violent and comply with directions, slowly but surely. If you take this away from them, the police would have to spend more time dealing with real crime, and real criminals. It's no wonder so many police officers want to keep the scam going.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:30 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,317,016 times
not only that but it will stop teens who would normally do dangerous things like huff hair spray or whatever into just doing something not dangerous like pot (because we all know people under 21 do this stuff, don't kid yourself)

There's literally no cons to legalizing... it's less dangerous than alcohol. Growing it at home would crash the street value. It would save a lot of legal costs and stop all the illegal movement of drugs from legal states or Mexico.

It is not really a gateway drug.. that's something that people who have never used it will say. If we keep it illegal we should at least ban alcohol to be consistent.

Alcohol, like too much sugar, is bad for the body, fattens up the liver, raises triglycerides, all the while impairing one's judgement. At least marijuana doesn't have the side effects on the body that alcohol use does.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:40 PM

50,406 posts, read 64,141,570 times
Here is the opinion of someone who has never smoked pot. I think I'm a traitor to my generation, and it is on my bucket list.
Medicinal marijuana seems to really help people, so why is it treated any differently than any other drug that also helps people? Go figure.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:43 PM

29,856 posts, read 24,972,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
so why is it treated any differently than any other drug that also helps people? Go figure.
$$$$$

That's why.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:48 PM

35,760 posts, read 21,126,227 times
Agree.tax it and it will make vs spend money. Or at least pay for itself,,,like booze

Old 12-22-2016, 03:51 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,832,330 times
A combination of special interests and the religious right.

This issue seems to be more divided by generation than by political party however. Most young conservatives I know support legalization. I think it will be another 20-30 years before its legal nationwide. Baby boomers and GenX are by and large for keeping it illegal because they grew up with war on drugs propaganda. Nothing will convince them that what they learned in D.A.R.E. might not be accurate or that it's not a gateway to heroin and meth. Power will have to shift to Millennials before the dominoes really start falling, especially in red states.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:00 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,247,000 times
Legalizing the weed would be great because I just want to get stoned every once in awhile. I'm not going to sit here and make excuses like everyone else.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:09 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,832,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Legalizing the weed would be great because I just want to get stoned every once in awhile. I'm not going to sit here and make excuses like everyone else.
As Americans, we should have the right to do that as long as we don't get behind the wheel and endanger others. All of the excuses are valid as well. Putting the cartels out of business, the medicinal benefits, and also the fact that teen use has gone down in Colorado since legalization.

With California now legal, I have a feeling blue America is going to start legalizing like a chain of dominoes. Unfortunately, I believe we are still 30 years away from legalization in places like Oklahoma or Mississippi. However, even red states will have to look at relaxing their policies on it as it becomes freely available in more and more blue states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies